Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just love the looks of a blacked out bow. But need a bow for hunting. What are your guys thoughts on hunting with a blacked out bow?
I'm thinking deer hunting it really won't make that much difference as the deer only see in black and white anyway. And if they are going to see the bow it will probably be from movement, which they will see with a camo bow anyway.
It certainly will make a difference when turkey hunting I think simply because turkeys see color, and have great eyesight, and are so wary in the woods anyway. (Funny though how the crazy birds will walk out into public and think nothing of people then - weird).
So I'm looking to buy a new bow. And just wondering the thoughts as to pro and con.
Thanks in advance for all your help!

·
Registered
638 Posts
My only concern would be if it had any "shine" on it which woudl reflect in sunlight. Otherwise, I don't see a problem.

·
Game Destroyer
2,659 Posts
I wouldn't even care about a glisten or shine on it...I was hunting with a bright orange Rellik sight last year and the deer didn't notice. I think they don't really care in the Midwest due to the glisten they get off of ice and such in the winter...

·
Registered
552 Posts
All shadows are black. It is more of a movement thing IMHO. I've killed deer wearing blue jeans and a flannel shirt. Camo is over rated I think.
It's all personal preference!!!

·
Registered
11,632 Posts
Black is just as good as camo imho. There are a ton of dark/black shadows for the bow to blend into while in a treestand, and it should be black in a ground blind. I like black bows. :)

Lien2

·
Registered
28,624 Posts
Used to be the only way you could buy them. Everyone camouflaged their own bow.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
I use one and do not believe that it would matter in the slightest. You look like a 2 foot wide, 6 foot tall blob perched up in a tree- the last thing that is going to throw a deer is a 2 inch wide stick sitting in front of a strange blob in a tree. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Back in the recurve days my friend hunted with a 66 inch target bow with white glass and fancy wood. He hunted with it and kill as many deer as anyone did. Camo is overrated.

·
Feedn The Geese
11,997 Posts
i have a camo bow and a black bow. it doesnt make a lick of difference ... EXCEPT... in a blind and even then it doesnt matter a whole lot. but when i hunt turkeys with a blind i wear a black shirt, black face mask and black gloves to blend in to the inside as i dont shoot through the screens. black bow adds to the concealment there.

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
Question gets asked once or twice a week do a search and you will find a number of threads about it.Randy

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
25 feet up a tree or in a dark blind it dont matter

·
Registered
8,159 Posts
The animals I have killed with mine never complained. It will be hard to get me back into a camo rig as my Ninja Hunter is serving me well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts