Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is it that many of the top target archers, who spend a lot of time talking about how important it is to shoot with a BT release, use a index finger trigger release while hunting. Especially since they also say that the index finger trigger release is just about the worst release you can use for accurate shooting.

It seems to me that you want the most accurate shot possible so you can harvest the animal as cleanly and quickly as possible.

Some may say that there are times when you need to snap the shot off as quickly as possible. If that's the case, should you be taking that shot at all?

Sorry if I'm asking a stupid question. I'm not a hunter. Just curious.

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
I myself never said that a index finger release was inaccurate.
That being said,I know there are people that use bt to hunt with
but for me,living up north,I'd rather have the speed of a finger release thats warm with a glove on.I'm just as accurate,but my form may suffer just a touch while hunting,but,as long as it's a clean shot................what's th harm.
Jerry

·
Registered
275 Posts
I hunt, shoot target and 3-D, although I am a better hunter than target shooter, but I know the answer to your question.
Caliper releases are as accurate as a back tension release, but are more difficult to shoot with back tension for various reasons, including the anatomic position of the hand and elbow. Moreover, your index finger is smart, or sensitive to touch. A person who shoots a lot will develop different problems with a caliper over time, such as punching, hammering etc. To increase consistency in the execution of a release with proper back tension, a person should practice with and shoot a BT release nearly all the time. A BT release will generally trick the mind by going off at an undertermined time within a 4 second time frame. Amazingly enough, one is forced to aim on the target during this time frame, resulting in a more accurate and consistent shot.
But you know all of this.
In hunting, BT releases are a poor choice because you need to 'command' shoot within a shorter time frame. I have shot several animals in situations where the shot had to be made NOW--you must command shoot to take advantage of the shot opportunity.
But, if one practices with a BT release, the few command shots used in hunting applications will automatically be fired by the subconscious mind perfectly as if a BT release was actually used since the mind has been properly tricked and conditioned.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I will venture a guess: If you're in a goofy position up some tree, it is easy to have a mishap with your rotary ("back tension") release and misfire the arrow.

People have been killing deer with rifles for hundreds of years, and they have triggers.... I believe that only a surprise break is important, and the actual mechanism to fire the bow (thumb trigger, index finger trigger, etc.) is basically irrelevant, to first order---but some types of releases are much easier to misfire than others in non-ideal situations.

kgk

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
since i have started shooting bt for the last 2 years i have incorperated it into my hunting as well. sure its harder to learn on a caliper style of release but it is possible to shoot with bt while hunting.
i shoot the Carter One shot caliper release for hunting.
there are times when you need that shot to happen right now . like last year there was a doe that i had to make the shot on right now . the pin settled and suddenly the shot went off , i know it was bt that made it fire , i just think that all that practice came into play when i had to make a shot right now.
the thing for me is that when i aim on an animal target my bt fires a lot easier than when i aim at spots on the range. this seems to make me be able to make a shot on command but use bt at the same time.
Shoot Strong
Tony

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
If you use a calipers for hunting do you also use it when shooting your hunting bow for practice? I am assuming that impact points of each type release will be different, so you would need to use one or the other and not mix. I would prefer to use the calipers for hunting to avoid any misfires with my carter. (I have been using bt for about 6 mo) I just don't want to "untrain" my body and mind by using a calipers. Any thoughts?

Bowgal

·
Registered
705 Posts
Hunting Releases

I went to a Cascade for hunting because my hand position could stay the same but give me control of the timeing of the shot. I don't think haveing to make an immediate shot is the problem , it is having to wait at full draw until the best shot presents itself.
I only shoot my hunting bow with that release because I do believe the impact points differ with different releases.

JMHO
ROB B

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I have hunted with a Stan hinge BT release in the past. I have actually drawn on deer without shooting just to see how relaxed I was. It is incredible what a BT release will do to your nerves when hunting....it seems to make them go away. I don't use a Stan anymore for hunting for a couple reasons. The first one is that it gets cold up here in ND pretty fast and the aluminum release is just too cold for me to handle. :) The second reason is I didn't like the fact I could drop it out of the tree stand or forget it somwhere. In the past I have been hunting just using my fingers, but this year I will be using the 2 finger eagle release from copper john. It combines the best of both worlds with a wrist release that can be shot like a hand held stan or hinge release. I am looking forward to using it this year.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts