Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

The question stands...what would the requirements be for a crossbow...I mean guys hunt with primitive stuff and to get a license you have to consistently hit a target 5 times or something like that with the equipment you are planning on hunting with...right? Are there any other requirements/expectations for self built equipment?

·
Vendor
5,694 Posts
Most states have minimum or maximum poundage and or size/width restrictions but the big one is generaly a working mechanical safety. I used one of medieval bows (with a mechanical safety) to bag a cow elk a couple years back so it does work...
Wyvern

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks David,

Mechanical safety...meaning it can be an automatic or manual(like on old German crossbows) right?

I then assume this one would be more than sufficient. :icon_pirat:

* this is an old video before the TM was finished. :) *

Another quick question..is there a place on the net where crossbow regulations/requirements for all states are listed? May be I'm asking for a bit too much, so I'll a little more specific if the answer is no...I live in NJ. :)

·
Banned
306 Posts
crossbow state regs

different states have different rules, go to the dnr of the state your interested in and read crossbow regs/rules

department of natural resources type dnr NJ and state hit search

·
Registered
757 Posts
I posted a link in the thread by lewmsu on what states xbows are legal in. Here's what it says on NJ

New Jersey

Crossbows are legal in any bow and arrow hunting season and other hunting seasons for all species where the use of bow and arrow is allowed. Crossbows must have a minimum draw weight of 75 pounds and a minimum stock length of 25 inches.

www.njfishandwildlife.com
609-292-2965

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks awshucks,

The rules in NJ are just amazing :cheers: ...I mean exercise tubing can be used instead of string and it will still be legal. :lol3::set1_applaud:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts