Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you do it??? I hunt whitetails out of a tree stand and was contemplating buying a hip quiver that holds mechanical broadheads and getting rid of the T-5 quiver on my Drenalin...

I figured since I take the quiver off my bow when I get to my tree stand anyways, then a hip quiver might be more suitable... I have never worn one so any insight on pros and cons of them and how comfortable they are or if this idea seems like a good one would be great!

Thanks guys and gals in advance! :darkbeer:
Doyle

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Hip quiver

Works great. Fasten it to my fanny pack straps, and when I hook it to the tree, the quiver is right there. Bought my first bow mounted quiver this year ( 10th hunting ) just because last year antelope hunting I discovered it is better to go light and quick when stalking antelope. I will go back to the hip come whitetail season.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Works great. Fasten it to my fanny pack straps, and when I hook it to the tree, the quiver is right there. Bought my first bow mounted quiver this year ( 10th hunting ) just because last year antelope hunting I discovered it is better to go light and quick when stalking antelope. I will go back to the hip come whitetail season.
Is it feasible to sit in the tree stand with the hip quiver on, or would I be better off taking the quiver off just like I do with my T-5??

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I would think you would have to take the hip quiver off also (in the treestand) To me it would really get in the way. JMO

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Stand

Is it feasible to sit in the tree stand with the hip quiver on, or would I be better off taking the quiver off just like I do with my T-5??
It has to be removed, unless you are going to stand the whole time. You can't hardly sit with it on.

·
Registered
14,752 Posts
try it!
I used one last year and found it more hassle than it was worth. Back to bow mount this year.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
I love them. I use the Adams Arrow holster and it's great. It has it's cons in some respects but overall i like them more than bow mounted quivers. If you just want to detach it in the tree try an Alpine Softlock or one that comes off easy. You do want to take it off you when you get in the tree and either hang it from a hook or your pack.

Scott

·
saskarcher
5,124 Posts
my choice of quivers for both traditional bows and compound bows
IMO an excellent design and a great hunting quiver...

side stalker

Attachments

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,364 Posts
Any more opinions of hunting with a hip quiver...???
I can't even stand the arrows getting in the way of everything and hanging up on stuff when I'm doing a 3D shoot or even shooting at the static range. Hunting with one would be a non-starter from the beginning.

·
Banned
18,640 Posts
I have used one in the past....they are "OK".....When I rove and stalk woodchucks I use one, I guess if I was out west chasing Elk or Mulies may be then also....But with the fanny pack I wear it gets in the way and the arrows rub on the pack, plus if I was to use my Climber, there is no way in heck I could wear one and put the climber on to pack it in...:thumbs_do..I use a bow mounted quiver and just take it off when I get in the tree....I prefer that now......:darkbeer:

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
I have consider a hip quiver for the same reasons you have listed....but now may be considering the Tarantula M.A.Q. or Back Quiver.

·
Registered
9,673 Posts
I have hunted with a hip quiver in one model or another for years and love them. I am currently using a "Sidewinder" attachment and a Fuse Lite series quiver.

When I hunt blinds and stands, I usually have a bow mounted quiver, and remove the quiver in the blind/stand. Found it to be a little more partical than using the hip.

When I am on the go hunting, it is always the hip. Like anything new, it took some time to adjust too. I encountered many of the difficulties mentioned above. But, once I got used to it, the difficulties went away. The hip quiver is now simply a natural part of my gear, when moving through the thick stuff, I account for it, just like I would a bow mounted quiver, and do so without thinking about it.

I think I would have huge problems if I decided to go back to a bow mounted quiver...

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
X2 i basically do the same
hooked to me bag walking in then hang next to me in tree , easy to get a hold of and i less vibration on my bow
not to mention arrows falling out
never actually where it on my hip
on my bag or in the tree

·
Arrow-minded Conservative
3,277 Posts
I'd like to try a hip quiver.

Maybe I'll ask Graybeard for his!

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
I am going to switch to a hip quiver this year so I'll let you know how its workin for me, although this info is pretty much useless to you at this point.

·
Registered
9,673 Posts
one word of advice...like anything new, it will take getting used to. If you want to hunt with a hip, you will need to give it time.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
i got a hip quiver for a while, i put straps on it and used it like a back pack. the only trouble with that was the arrows hit some limbs.i ended up getting a cat quiver, i won't have anything else now.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts