Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i usually shoot and hunt with my x force, however i recently bought a longbow just to try it out and have a bit of fun. it is only a 45 pound draw weight. would this be enough to hunt medium sized game? my arrows weigh 530 grains.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Plenty for deer. Depending upon what your draw length is, you may want to use 2 bladed COC heads. Enjoy!

·
wannabtradguy
15,322 Posts
yep. make sure your bow and arrows are tuned together and the arrows fly great. make sure those broadheads are razor sharp and accuracy is of the utmost importance. good luck.

·
Anti Fanboy
42,669 Posts
Long Bow

Yep, what they said. You have plenty of KE just as long as you know your limitations and use the proper BH. Also, you, or anyone else for that matter, has my respect for hunting with a trad bow.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
You've got plenty. Keep your shots close and your broadheads shaving sharp!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the input guys

·
Registered
7,415 Posts
i recently bought a longbow just to try it out and have a bit of fun. it is only a 45 pound draw weight. would this be enough to hunt medium sized game? my arrows weigh 530 grains.
When I started bowhunting, a 45# Bear or Ben Pearson was the gold standard for most hunters, and old Fred was knocking of grizzlies and polar bears with a 65lb bow that didn't have the HP of a good 50lb bow today.

The difference is how far you can shoot, and the shot angles you can take.

Most of my collection tops out at 60-62lbs, and will put an arrow end to end on a whitetail with almost any head or arrow weight that will tune, right out to 40yds, and on a broadside shot, well past that. Much past 20 yds, a 45lb traditional rig requires outstanding distance skills, and a lot of talent as a shot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts