Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious as to how you would hunt with a single pin sight. For example, youre hunting in the rut and have a buck chasing does out to 35-40 yards but you have your sight dialed in for 20 yds. If that deer is moving through quickly, what to do? Seems like it'd be tough/annoying to hurry up and adjust in the heat of the moment.

·
Registered
6,792 Posts
Set your pin about 25-27yds, at 40yds you will only have about 6ins of drop. I think I think the Spott Hogg double pin would be perfect.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
Shoot your bow with the sight set at 20 yards, then without moving the pin, shoot at 30 and hold center, repeat at 35, 40. Then set your sight for say 25 or 30 yards. Shoot at 20 using your pin that was now set at 25-30, then shoot at 30, 40. All while holding pin on target. See where your arrows are, say you set your sight pin at 30, shot the 20 yard target and you were an inch or two high, on at thirty, and two to three inches under at 40. some where 20,25,30 with your pin set to one of these you should be able to hold just slightly low or high and not have to mess with it. Now leave it there and practice your hold over, under at those yardages. I can set mine for 25 yards and still hit the black at 20, right on at 25 and hold ever so slightly high at 30. At 40 I can still make the shot by holding high but most of the time at 40 I have time to move dial. Or I am still trying to close the distance, I don't hunt from a tree, spot and stalk. I would think from a tree this would all be easier. On the ground the animal is moving and I am moving trying to get to 20-25 yards if I can, when your in a tree only the animal is moving. Make sense, or clear as mud ?
Sounds harder then it is. But if you have fixed pins you are doing basically the same thing. If your pins are set 20, 30,40 and your target is 25,35,45, you have to either use one of the pins high or low or gap between the pins. I find its much easier with one pin to focus on.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
So youre saying that you would aim high with a single pin?
Yes, and you will have to hold under for yardages less than what your pin is set at. It's very easy once you practice enough at various distances with your pin set only on one yardage. I keep mine set at 25 yards and know all my holdovers/ unders between 10 and 40 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Shoot your bow with the sight set at 20 yards, then without moving the pin, shoot at 30 and hold center, repeat at 35, 40. Then set your sight for say 25 or 30 yards. Shoot at 20 using your pin that was now set at 25-30, then shoot at 30, 40. All while holding pin on target. See where your arrows are, say you set your sight pin at 30, shot the 20 yard target and you were an inch or two high, on at thirty, and two to three inches under at 40. some where 20,25,30 with your pin set to one of these you should be able to hold just slightly low or high and not have to mess with it. Now leave it there and practice your hold over, under at those yardages. I can set mine for 25 yards and still hit the black at 20, right on at 25 and hold ever so slightly high at 30. At 40 I can still make the shot by holding high but most of the time at 40 I have time to move dial. Or I am still trying to close the distance, I don't hunt from a tree, spot and stalk. I would think from a tree this would all be easier. On the ground the animal is moving and I am moving trying to get to 20-25 yards if I can, when your in a tree only the animal is moving. Make sense, or clear as mud ?
I see what youre saying i think. A guy told me he can shoot the same at 20-30 yds while having his sight set at 20 yds give or take a few inches. I guess this is basically what youre saying

·
Registered
36 Posts
I believe that is what 573mms is saying. I do the same. My bow chonos at 285fps. I set my pin at 27yds. I am withing a 4inch circle out to about 32yds. At 35 to 40 I hold a little high.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Its a mental thing. Train urself at different yards with 1 pin. No adjustments. Get into the habit of predicting the yards before the shot. Plan ahead ur possible shots. Sit back and relax

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
I see what youre saying i think. A guy told me he can shoot the same at 20-30 yds while having his sight set at 20 yds give or take a few inches. I guess this is basically what youre saying
Basically yes. If you set it for 20 your hold over will be greater at 40 then it would be if you set your pin at 30 instead of 20. Pin set at thirty hold just under at 20 on at 30 and just over at 40. You will have to shoot to see where it will work best for you. If 90% of your shots are at 20 yards then yes I would set the pin for 20 and learn hold over for 30 and 40.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I wouldn't set the pin at 20. Honestly 3/4 of everyone on here recommends 22-25yrds on sliders, but I like to set mine on 35. At 20 that puts me 4-5 inches high at 40 I'm about 3 inches low. So for me if I have a deer at 20 i put my pin right under their belly. If i have a deer at 40, I put it right at the top of their backs. Haven't had an issue so far. It all boils down to knowing your equipment and practicing for those scenarios

·
Registered
13,750 Posts
i do not set mine at 20 yards unless i can not see any farther,, i keep mine set at 30 most of the time,, i can shoot from 10-40 yards without moving the pin,,, since i do not really plan on shooting anything much farther i rarely move it, just learn to shoot with it set at one distance,,,, it is very easy to hold over or under a couple of inches

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have shot a single pin for years. Until last year it wasn't a slider. I would practice at random distances after being set at 20 yards, so I would figure out how much drop at what distances. It takes some time and dedication but I prefer a vertical pin. Then last year I bought a SH Fast Eddie with the double pin scope. Love it. I can move my pin if I have time and it also has the second pin to reference to. For instance my second pin is dead on at 35 yards when locked in at 20 with the top pin. Highly recommend this sight if you are looking for single pin sliders. I seen trophy ridge has a new one out that is 5 vertical pins that auto set after finding 20 and 60 I think, I might be off on the yardages for sighting it in. Hope this helps.

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
Using and hunting with a single pin is very easy for someone who practices with their rig and learns the trajectory of their arrow at various distance...Ive been using one for around 20 years...the faster my bow has gotten, the easier it is to use it.....I mark mine from 20-40 yds in 5 yd increments.....I leave it set at 25 yds.....I'm at 310 fps.....from 5-33 yds I dont ever worry about arrow rise or drop, but I know what it is.....I'm a tad over the center at 10 yds and 3.5" low at 33 yds, that keeps me within a deer's heart lung area from 5-33 yds with a dead on 1/3rd of the way up hold....at 35 yds I hold a tad over 1/2 way up and at 40 yds I hold level with the deer's back(9" drop)... it is faster for me just to set the pin on a critter, even a 1/4ing away shot and I know EXACTLY where that arrow will hit....Ive shot THOUSANDS of shots on 3d targets from tree stands and even ground level at un known distances, so I know where that arrow is going to hit...... for me it is fool proof and deadly

·
Registered
210 Posts
Spot Hogg fast Eddie double pin scope.

·
Registered
51,134 Posts
Just curious as to how you would hunt with a single pin sight. For example, youre hunting in the rut and have a buck chasing does out to 35-40 yards but you have your sight dialed in for 20 yds. If that deer is moving through quickly, what to do? Seems like it'd be tough/annoying to hurry up and adjust in the heat of the moment.
That is a simple common sense question, you pass up the shot. A moving deer outside of 15 yards is a very high poor shot at best. In fact a moving shot with a bow no matter the yardage is IMHO very poor judgement/hunting skills. Ethics, it's called hunting not killing for a reason.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts