Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always hunted with trigger style release with no problems...
This year I more comfortable and shoot better with my Carter and considering hunting with it.

I am sure many here hunt with a hand held release... this being my first year I was just looking for some feedback or experiences. The release is an Insatiable and I was thinking of justing leaving it hooked to the d-loop while on the stand. I imagine that should work just fine?? Thanks for any input

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
I use a target master 2. I just hook it on the d-loop and wait for the deer to come out:wink:

it is not very handy for stalking, but great for the treestand or blinds.

Reed

·
Registered
214 Posts
i used my carter insaitable this year and shot my buck at 54 yards and my doe at 30. i love mine

·
Registered
71 Posts
Great post

Shoot what groups best for hunting or target. I killed my first deer with a two finger back tension release out of a 75# bow 33 years ago. I have never hunted with a wrist strap release.

I just shoot hand held releases better at longe range shots, I like to be able to hunt up to 60 yards. For 30 yard deer hunting most any release will do but why change back and forth, it throws off your shooting form.

·
177 5/8"
2,102 Posts
I've used a TruBall Pro Diamond for the last 2 seasons, and I will not go back to a wrist-strap style release. I shoot very well with the PD, and I like being able to hang it from my string loop rather than having it strapped around my wrist for an entire hunt.

·
Registered
37,038 Posts
I love my Stan SuperX but its a little loud for hunting. The TruBall Pro diamond Extreme is a good hunting release.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info!! I am super confident in my hand held, but after hunting with a wrist strap and a trigger for so long I just wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy. The insatiable will be with me this fall:wink: :darkbeer:

·
Registered
672 Posts
i shoot year around with a hand held(scott longhorn or a carter sol 3) but come hunting season switch to a wrist style release, i tried it one year for turkeys(the hand held) and found that if you end up wearing bulkier clothes it drasticly changes your achor point, try shooting with your hunting clothes on before you make your decision

·
Extreme Opinionated One
44,277 Posts
I shot my first two deer ever with a zenith back tension release a couple of years ago. Then I switched to a carter fits me too thumb style release and took 6 deer with that. There aint nothing wrong with a handheld style release.
However you can usually pull a few more pounds with a wriststrap release and the mechanisms in a wriststrap dont normally go "click" like a thumb trigger will and it is alot harder to drop a wriststrap release out of your treestand in a moment of excitement cause it is tied to you.

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Just don't drop it out of the tree it will ruin your hunt.

Don't ask!

·
Registered
8,685 Posts
I shoot the hinge style releases all year, but I just can't get used to them in a tree stand. So when I climb I use my trigger short and sweet. :embara:

·
Registered
7,100 Posts
BagginBigguns said:
I've used a TruBall Pro Diamond for the last 2 seasons, and I will not go back to a wrist-strap style release. I shoot very well with the PD, and I like being able to hang it from my string loop rather than having it strapped around my wrist for an entire hunt.
I use my Pro-Diamond also, I love it, I like not being chained to my bow the hole time and not worrying about trying to get the jaws on the D-Loop when I'm shaking with Buck Fever.

Definately hunt with what you are comfortable with!

·
Registered
34,166 Posts
bowtroll said:
Hinge only for me the last 6 years...

Good God man. What a rabbit. Screw deer huntin' I want a bunch of those things.

But I hunt with a Carter Target 3. I just clip it on my loop when I get on stand.

·
Archery is a Passion...
3,015 Posts
Hunting with a handheld release...

Just carry a spare with you. Last thing you want is to be settled up in a tree, and drop the only release you have with you...

thenson

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
I'll be using the Carter Ember this year. It is the replacement for the BK Hunter. You can use it as a 2, 3, or 4 finger release. It is also very adjustable.
After punching a wrist strap/ trigger on a shot last season, I decided to stick with a handheld release all year this year. I'll never switch back and forth again..................lesson learned.:eek:

·
Registered
542 Posts
thenson said:
Just carry a spare with you. Last thing you want is to be settled up in a tree, and drop the only release you have with you...

thenson
Funny you mention that...you can see by my pic above that I am constantly putting my release in my mouth...had an 8 point walkin up to my rattlin horns...I reach for the grunt call and.....clank......release off the treestand platform......luckily I always carry a spare or two.....reach in the pack real slowly...pull out the backup...dead buck...now I keep one in the pack and a couple in my pockets.

·
Registered
724 Posts
pro diamond and chappy boss

is what I use. All hunting here in AK is pretty much spot and stalk. Its not quite as quick as a wrist release, but I shoot it much better. Accuracy is what matters to me. The one thing I do like is when Im crawling, its not on my wrist being shoved into the swampy tundra. My carter wrist release would get filled with crap and not go off. So I picked my poison after looking at the pros and cons of each style. If you really want though you can get a wrist strap for the truballs.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts