Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had issues with their collar bone from shooting their bow? Months ago I started having issues with pain in my right upper chest (pectoral muscle) while shooting my bow. After a few shots it wouldn’t hurt as bad and I would continue shooting. At rest I would have pains from time to time but not real bad. It kept getting worse so I stopped shooting. I then noticed my collar bone was swollen from shoulder to my breast bone. Icing it reduced the swelling. I found out that the collar bone supports the shoulder while shooting.
So I thought I would post here to see if anyone else has had this problem.

·
Registered
51,134 Posts
????? Think you all ready know the answer!!!!! See your doctor it is not normal.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I never had problems with my collor bone.I do have a problem with my sholder . I hope you weren't trying to pull to much weight. That will cause problems> I cerently hope you had it checked out, to make sure that there wasn't any permant damage. Get well and have plenty of happy hunting days

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Leave it up to the Doc's. My 34 year old son has always been active on the extreme end of things. Soccer, rugby, aerial stunts on skis, American Ninja Warrior and Lord knows what else. A few years ago at work he goes to sit down on a chair with wheels and it goes out from under him. Tears ligaments in his clavical/sternum joint which caused some serious damage. An MRI and lot of PT now has him doing some serious rock climbing without an operation. It's a rather risky operation and not worth chancing if you can get by without it. Seek help, and I don't mean from all of us experts here on AT, not that a little input can't help you. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
I had that pain this spring. It hurt a little when shooting, some times, but an hour or two after shooting my left shoulder would be on fire. I've switched back to shooting recurves and I don't have that pain anymore.

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I never had problems with my collor bone.I do have a problem with my sholder . I hope you weren't trying to pull to much weight. That will cause problems> I cerently hope you had it checked out, to make sure that there wasn't any permant damage. Get well and have plenty of happy hunting days
I have been reducing weight for the last few years so I know it’s not that, for the last year I was shooting 56lbs.
I just tossed the question out to see if it was a thing archers get.

·
C:\My Documents\My Pictur
23,094 Posts
Has anyone had issues with their collar bone from shooting their bow? Months ago I started having issues with pain in my right upper chest (pectoral muscle) while shooting my bow. After a few shots it wouldn’t hurt as bad and I would continue shooting. At rest I would have pains from time to time but not real bad. It kept getting worse so I stopped shooting. I then noticed my collar bone was swollen from shoulder to my breast bone. Icing it reduced the swelling. I found out that the collar bone supports the shoulder while shooting.
So I thought I would post here to see if anyone else has had this problem.
==================
Hello
Was it from shooting a bow or drawing a heavy weighted bow. [ Later

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
==================
Hello
Was it from shooting a bow or drawing a heavy weighted bow. [ Later
I haven’t shot a heavy bow (over 56lbs) for a few years. At this point, seeing that it isn’t something common among archers, it may be from something else and is aggravated from shooting. I’ve started icing it and taking anti inflammatories, I’ll probably get to the doctor next week.

·
Registered
51,134 Posts
I haven’t shot a heavy bow (over 56lbs) for a few years. At this point, seeing that it isn’t something common among archers, it may be from something else and is aggravated from shooting. I’ve started icing it and taking anti inflammatories, I’ll probably get to the doctor next week.
Suggestion take the probably out of that statement. I would suggest putting the bow away for now before you do permanent damage.

·
The Impartial Archer
18,793 Posts
Heavy is a relative term......if it's hurting you are pulling too much for you or you have an injury that needs to heal or be treated.

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Suggestion take the probably out of that statement. I would suggest putting the bow away for now before you do permanent damage.
As stated in my first post I stopped shooting, #10, I will be going to the doctor to get it checked out.

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
Go see a chiropractor. Doctors always recommend surgery and it always returns. I was having TONS of pain in my wirst when shooting my bow. I went to see a chiropractor and haven't had the problem in over a year.

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I went to the doctor and they took X-rays and ran a blood test for infections and everything was ok there. The clavicle to breastbone joint is highly inflamed pushing it out of position making everything connected to it sore. I never knew how important the collar bone was nor all of the muscles that connected to it. It was probably from too much shooting of hard cams that are very hard from the very first part of the draw cycle when my shoulder would be too far forward. The clavicle acts as a strut holding the shoulder from coming forward. So between that and high repetitions over time inflame that joint. So it’s rest, ice, and anti inflammatory for awhile and see if it gets better. If it doesn’t get better they will do a CAT scan.
I kind of figured it was shooting my bow because it has been an issue when shooting my bow for months. I just never understood how it could be from shooting my bow. I could see my shoulder or back but not my collar bone.
So it will be quite a while before I’ll be shooting a bow which is a shame since I just bought a new PSE Evoke 35 and only got to shoot it a few times.

·
Back Yard Champion
29,768 Posts
Say what you want, but unless another injury it's sounds every bit of improper drawing technique and possibly over bowed. I'm 70 old and shoot all day if I want. My bows are set to 51, 53 and 55 pounds. If I want I can set one back to original 62 pounds and shoot quite a bit. I might get tired, but I don't hurt. Figure in 2015 a accident separated my shoulder, tore my rotor cuff in 2 places, shredded one area and had 2 partial tears.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts