Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
The HV40 is HD, lightweight, newer, but has less manual controls... I'd still choose it! You will not be disapointed with this camera!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Either will be an upgrade from what I have been using (sony hanycam). I can get the Hv40 and have some money audio upgrades for what I can get the gl2 for around $1000 but was just wondering what experienced folks thought. Thanks

·
Registered
365 Posts
Depends on what you want. If your striving to capture the best possible video then GL2 because of the manual controls. If you don't really care and just hit record then the HV

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Never used the HV but my buddy has a GL2 and it is a real nice camera. It would be good to use for filming yourself too.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Yea I would go with the GL2 any day... I have a GL2 right now and love it, great video quality for SD and a good amount of manual controls... another thing to consider is, if you like videoing your hunts and eventually want to put money into a serious camera, then by using the GL2 for awhile you'll have gotten used to alot of manual controls already and a higher end cam won't be so scary to try to operate... I used a camcorder maybe 10 times my whole life, I got the GL2 early this summer, learned the controls by this Fall and have gotten two great self videod kill shots so far... Also some of the footage would have been totally unusable if it weren't for the manual controls

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
What does the GL2 usually go for, price wise? Used & new?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not sure normally but the Gl2 im looking at is just under $1100, new I think around $2000.
I cant go wrong either way I guess unless the gl2 is a scam.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Wouldn't the HV40 give out a better picture being that it is an HD vs. the GL2 that isn't?

·
Registered
796 Posts
I got my GL2 for about $1020... used, from Campbell's Outdoor Cameras... if you find one for under $1100 I'd jump on it, doubt it's a scam, but I'm careful buying anything used nonetheless...

Also I'm sure the HV offers some great video quality but the thing to think about is adverse conditions such as low light (morning, evening). Most of the action that I get is early in the morning or right about at dark.. don't know how the HV40 handles low light, being I've never used one...but the GL2, I have to imagine, would do better, even if you have to bump some manual controls and the footage looks pretty grainy, it's better than getting no footage at all.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
My buddy got his for around $,550 used and it was like brand new and came with a lot of extra stuff, 4 batteries, light, etc.
New ones are around $2,000- $2,500 I think.

From what I heard is you will be able to do more with footage from a good SD camera as apposed to a smaller HD camera. Not sure about any of that, I have never messed with both together, just what I have heard.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I thought the same thing about the hv being HD! That it would be benneficial in the future as a second angle cam when I was able to buy a better HD cam. Its probably not as big a deal as both cameras as mention in previous post are better than the handycam currently using. The only thing keeping me from jumping on the gl2 is its used and that it is already something that most people are upgrading from.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts