Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello gents, I just wanted to let you know the problems I have had with my hypershocks! I have shot 2 deer this year with them this year and neather was recovered!
The first was a buck at 35 yards I shot it looked like a good hit! The arrow was recovered within 5 feet of impact? it only went in 2 inches and the broadhead broke off in the shaft? I chalked it up to a bad shot on my part? Even though when I played it in my head it looked good!
The second was a doe we cought her on video tape she was only 22 yards away via leupold rx 3 range finder, the arrow found its mark shot looked good right threw her shoulders me and my wife thought she would have fallen within 50 yards.
Got down after about 30 min not a drop of blood could be found we circled and circled and circled we followed the trail we seen her take into the woods and nothing. The patch of timber we were hunting was small maybe 3 acers. We called it quits after about 3 hours and went home to watch the videp you could see it hit her in the shoulder then you loose track of it do to the poor camera video. But the shot looked like a dead deer!
I am shooting a Mathews Apex 7 set at 70 pounds with 29 1/2 inch Easton 340 Full Metal Jackets with 125 grain tips total arrow wieght was 512 grains, threw the chrono i was getting 255 fps. Is it me or should that of blew threw her like a train threw a tunnel?
I looked at the one of the extra broadheads to hopefully find some answers? I They have a releif cut into the shoulder infront of the threads that looks like way to much material was removed. Plus it is to close the front of the broadhead! To test its stregth I tried bending it with a couple pairs of pliers it snapped like a tooth pick? I am thinking when it hit the shoulder bone it just snaps off I will show you pics if you want if you dont beleive me try it for yourself it is just hardened aluminum!
I dont want this to become a bashing thread just my experiance with them! I bought some 3 blade Montecs that are built from one piece of stainless steel metal I dont see how I could get stronger then that? I would be happy to answer any of your questions! But for the animals sake please think it over.
Semper Fi
Dustin Drews
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
579 Posts
Thanks for posting. I wasn't using them and won't be. Though you may have hit the shoulder, with your setup many other broadheads would have given you much better penetration.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts
my .02 worth

I have never lost a deer with a hypershock. Me my brother and my dad and my buddy all shoot them. in 2 years of using them we have lost 000 deer. I double lunged them with Nitrons and never found them. The hypershock is the only broadhead I will shoot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,405 Posts
hmmm...

Even tho the broadhead failed when you put the pliers to it, I think the majority of the problem is from the shoulder blade hit....on the doe did you get a pass thru? Recover the arrow? Now I don't use these heads, and probably never will as expandables are illegal where I'm at...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,176 Posts
I think that that head is ideal for a behind the shoulder shot..If you hit bone i think the energy is quickly absorbed. The head is so big it loses its energy. I was in a bow shop that sold those and the album of pictures was just plain NASTY,...the holes were tremendous..I personally would not shoot them...If u hit em right...u can use practice tips and they will die.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
441 Posts
hypershock

I had the same problem,I shot a deer at 20yards and the arrow broke at the tip,I just figured it didn't open.I will never use them again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
Killed..

I killed my best bow buck (8 pt 165 lbs, not real big, but giant to me)with them last year. Deer only went 35 yrds and fell over. I have a short draw and only about 59 lbs Ke (I did some modafications). Not a pass thru, about 1/4" of the point was sticking out the other side. The inside damage was unbelieveable. Sliced one lung almost in half and sever damage to the other. This after going through ribs on entry and exit. I will use them again this year. But I also carry Snyper's 2 blade. I like those for the doe's.

ken
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,342 Posts
The Hypershock Blades...

...are so big that if you don't have a good edge on them they'll basically stop moving. I've had 8 packages of these, and they will work, but Aftershock doesn't put a very good edge on them. BUT, it's my experience that few companies do. Now, after I put an edge on the blades and made them shaving sharp, they lost their tendency to bind and turn into the world's fastest meat slicer. the blade angle is perfect, and they fly really well. The only thing I've found is that, if they're shot from an arrow that is underspined, the arrow will flex so much that the tip goes one way and the rear of the shaft will go the other when it hits something solid. That's usually where you'll experience a broken/ bent tip, or poor penetration. the only deer I lost to one, I found that I was shooting an underspined arrow (after hunting season, of course). You also need some power behind it to push it through the other side expanded. If these things are addressed, it causes a quick kill with a very short blood trail. Just my experience.

As a side note, I'm not biased to this brand. I've shot over 30 different broadheads, and I still use any of at least 6. I see advantages/disadvantages in all heads I've shot. I do like the way the Hypershock flies, as it's tough to beat the accuracy I experience with these heads. But I would agree that there are plenty of heads out there to choose from. If you don't like it, then definitely don't use it; it'll cause you to cast a ray of doubt in your equipment at just the WRONG time, and...:boom:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
307 Posts
Dustin_Drews said:
Hello gents, I just wanted to let you know the problems I have had with my hypershocks! I have shot 2 deer this year with them this year and neather was recovered!
The first was a buck at 35 yards I shot it looked like a good hit! The arrow was recovered within 5 feet of impact? it only went in 2 inches and the broadhead broke off in the shaft? I chalked it up to a bad shot on my part? Even though when I played it in my head it looked good!
The second was a doe we cought her on video tape she was only 22 yards away via leupold rx 3 range finder, the arrow found its mark shot looked good right threw her shoulders me and my wife thought she would have fallen within 50 yards.
Got down after about 30 min not a drop of blood could be found we circled and circled and circled we followed the trail we seen her take into the woods and nothing. The patch of timber we were hunting was small maybe 3 acers. We called it quits after about 3 hours and went home to watch the videp you could see it hit her in the shoulder then you loose track of it do to the poor camera video. But the shot looked like a dead deer!
I am shooting a Mathews Apex 7 set at 70 pounds with 29 1/2 inch Easton 340 Full Metal Jackets with 125 grain tips total arrow wieght was 512 grains, threw the chrono i was getting 255 fps. Is it me or should that of blew threw her like a train threw a tunnel?
I looked at the one of the extra broadheads to hopefully find some answers? I They have a releif cut into the shoulder infront of the threads that looks like way to much material was removed. Plus it is to close the front of the broadhead! To test its stregth I tried bending it with a couple pairs of pliers it snapped like a tooth pick? I am thinking when it hit the shoulder bone it just snaps off I will show you pics if you want if you dont beleive me try it for yourself it is just hardened aluminum!
I dont want this to become a bashing thread just my experiance with them! I bought some 3 blade Montecs that are built from one piece of stainless steel metal I dont see how I could get stronger then that? I would be happy to answer any of your questions! But for the animals sake please think it over.
Semper Fi
Dustin Drews
Shoulder shots with a bow are rarely fatal. 9 times out of 10 the broadhead gets lodged in the shoulder blade and snaps off. Shot placement is critical in bowhunting and discusts me when the archer blames a poor shot and non recovery of deer on the broadhead. I don't care what you are shooting if you place the arrow behind the front shoulder on the lower half of the body you will have a dead deer. We owe it to the animal to make clean ethical shots. :mad:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,342 Posts
Arrow Spine...

Dustin_Drews said:
Hello gents, I just wanted to let you know the problems I have had with my hypershocks! I have shot 2 deer this year with them this year and neather was recovered!
The first was a buck at 35 yards I shot it looked like a good hit! The arrow was recovered within 5 feet of impact? it only went in 2 inches and the broadhead broke off in the shaft? I chalked it up to a bad shot on my part? Even though when I played it in my head it looked good!
The second was a doe we cought her on video tape she was only 22 yards away via leupold rx 3 range finder, the arrow found its mark shot looked good right threw her shoulders me and my wife thought she would have fallen within 50 yards.
Got down after about 30 min not a drop of blood could be found we circled and circled and circled we followed the trail we seen her take into the woods and nothing. The patch of timber we were hunting was small maybe 3 acers. We called it quits after about 3 hours and went home to watch the videp you could see it hit her in the shoulder then you loose track of it do to the poor camera video. But the shot looked like a dead deer!
I am shooting a Mathews Apex 7 set at 70 pounds with 29 1/2 inch Easton 340 Full Metal Jackets with 125 grain tips total arrow wieght was 512 grains, threw the chrono i was getting 255 fps. Is it me or should that of blew threw her like a train threw a tunnel?
I looked at the one of the extra broadheads to hopefully find some answers? I They have a releif cut into the shoulder infront of the threads that looks like way to much material was removed. Plus it is to close the front of the broadhead! To test its stregth I tried bending it with a couple pairs of pliers it snapped like a tooth pick? I am thinking when it hit the shoulder bone it just snaps off I will show you pics if you want if you dont beleive me try it for yourself it is just hardened aluminum!
I dont want this to become a bashing thread just my experiance with them! I bought some 3 blade Montecs that are built from one piece of stainless steel metal I dont see how I could get stronger then that? I would be happy to answer any of your questions! But for the animals sake please think it over.
Semper Fi
Dustin Drews
Good afternoon, Dustin,

I just ran your setup through Archer's Advantage just for the heck of it, and you're way underspined for a 29.5" arrow @ .340. I have you at a 30" draw, but even at 29" you're borderline with a 125-gr head. Am I close? Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't that setup require a .300 spine?

Just out of curiosity...

Randy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,176 Posts
Great... I have 8 125 Hypershocks upstairs ready to go! Glad I spent the $100 with the right heads!!

Glad I bought the Slick Tricks!!!


I shoot 28" Gold Tip 7595's and 28 1/4" Beman Black Maxx 300's with 125 tips.... I am shooting 75# 29" draw---am I underspinned???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,808 Posts
cletus1185 said:
I have never lost a deer with a hypershock. Me my brother and my dad and my buddy all shoot them. in 2 years of using them we have lost 000 deer. I double lunged them with Nitrons and never found them. The hypershock is the only broadhead I will shoot.
if you double lung them with anything and dont find them you did not look very well!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
298 Posts
Dustin Drews

Sounds like there might be a issue with the pack you had or what i dont know. I will say that this is the first time i have ever heard of that happening to one of our heads. I have 100's of heads and i pulled out 5 of the 125 heads and tried to break them:darkbeer: ...three bandaids latter i got one to break on the bench vise with vise grips!... I would love to see the arrow and heads and i know that the company would to. If there is a issue with the pack you got they will take care of you. You wrote a well written thread so im assuming that wasnt just a bash at the product. send me a tell and i will try and help ya out with getting ahold of the company eng, he would love to hear your story.

Cubby
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,356 Posts
I've used these heads {100grs.} on two animals, a doe and a Goat. I recoverd both, But I did not get full penetration on either. The arrow stayed in the game. Because it has a small entrance hole the arrow will plug it and you only have the exit hole, but the arrows still it that too. They do fly well and I dont think strength is a problem. I think the blades are just to dam big and take a lot of energy to deploy. If I cant get a pass thru with over 80lbs of KE there's something wrong. The Xbow heads should be better with there smaller cutting diam. I would stay away from shoulder shots with any head, especialy this head. If your going to use a Mech, Shoot a Spitfire and dont look back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
dtrkyman said:
if you double lung them with anything and dont find them you did not look very well!!!!

DITTO
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks to all that supplied good info!

I really did not like the bashing I recived... I guess some of us on here are not human and never miss. I am not saying my shot placement was perfect but I am not one to complain about nothing.

For the fellow who asked I do have a 29 inch draw. You might be onto something with the spine. My set up was shooting bullet holes threw paper and it was very forgiving.

I pmed the fellow about sending them back to aftershock. I know suff happens with hardening things that is probly what happend here?

Take care everyone
Happy hunting
Dustin
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
886 Posts
What you described is what I have been worried about with these heads. They seem to have a small, but extremely loyal following. I think we should aways pick a head based on a worst case scenerio, not a best case. Even with a heavy set up, you are not assured of a pass through, and with a small entry hole that is a bad thing. I have been toying with a lot of heads, mechanical and fixed. I am about ready to give up and conclude that there is not much better than a 3 blade head with a 1 3/16th inch cutting diameter. They are big enough to leave a nice hole, small enough to fly and tune well, penetrate well, and there are a ton of good ones out there. It has only cost me a couple hundred bucks to turn full circle and go back to where I started from...I feel pretty smart LOL. There are still two heads I am very interested in, the Rage and the 4 blade Steelhead....
 
1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Top