Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, well, well......after too many delays I got a chance to hunt for the first time on Tuesday afternoon....bought my paper and loaded the cooler up with ice....just to be prepared.

Didn't see anything...couldn't hunt the persimmon tree I wanted too due to the wind and limited climbable tree selection in that area.

Headed out yesterday in the rain. Was soaked completely...gear and all by the time I had my ground blind positioned and set up.

Got situated in the ground blind and dried off...only to douse myself in scent killer spray again.

Sat through some rain for a couple-a-three hours.

At 6:45pm the rain stopped and things felt mighty tingly...I could tell that happy hour was about to begin.

Right on schedule here comes four does out the thick stuff and in to my area. The lead and largest doe locks up when she enters my shooting lane and sees the brushed in blind.

She did the fool-looking thing for a few moments and then must have decided that there was no threat.

They all muddled around munching on the available browse. After a few minutes of this, she finally gets in perfect position with the others clear from behind her....she was standing between 18-20 yards in a spot that I had ranged earlier.

Sitting on the ground....that close....a game target has never looked so large.

I drew back and got onto her...the top pin settled nicely on he.....complete broadside and KEEEERRRRRRAAAAACCCCKKK.....she turns and runs off......the arrow is still on the shelf with the Hyperspeed head nicely being supported by my finger (nice cut, too) and my limbs are looking crazy and the bow string is backlashed all over the place.

Turns out that my string loop broke while at full draw and the arrow came off the string.....essentially the bow dry fired.

I was very fortunate to escape with a minor cut from the contact my finger had with the broadhead as it dropped to the rest. The bow appears to be fine...just needs a new string. I'll get it checked out thouroughly today or tomorrow.

I was too aggravated to post this last night...besides, I had to get all my gear washed and dried.

The ground blind is out back drying out and ready to see use another day.

What a hunt for a birday present!!!

My season totals right now are:

2 hunts
4 deer sighted
0 kills
no skeeter bites:fine:
1/2 tank of gas
1 bowstring
---------------------------
8 hours of relaxing time in the woods my batteries are getting recharged after the long delay since January. Man, it feels good to be hunting again!!!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
i had a string loop fail on me this spring. twice in a row w/ 2 diff. releases at 1/2 draw got a fat lip and almost knocked out all my teeth

·
The Impartial Archer
18,232 Posts
Sorry to hear that but it should have went like this:

2 hunts
4 deer sighted
0 kills
no skeeter bites:fine:
1/2 tank of gas
1 bowstring

Time in the woods with my bow....PRICELESS!

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now it's most certainly time to contact Bucknasty and get hooked up on some nice strings.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Dub said:
Now it's most certainly time to contact Bucknasty and get hooked up on some nice strings.
Did you damage you bow??? Did the bow string break also??? I've never used a loop because I can't get comfortable with one, and after hearing some horror stories about them, I doubt I will use one. Good to hear you're ok.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SEOBowhntr said:
Did you damage you bow??? Did the bow string break also??? I've never used a loop because I can't get comfortable with one, and after hearing some horror stories about them, I doubt I will use one. Good to hear you're ok.

The bow appears to be fine. I don't want this to turn into a brand bashing thing (especially since I like many different brands) but I'm glad that it happened to my Hoyt and not my Bowtech.

Those Hoyts are built like freaking tanks. I have utmost faith in the entire design of their bows. Don't get me wrong...I really, really love my Old Glory....but I don't know if she would have come outa this thing unscathed like the Hoyt did.

I was fortunate on all accounts.

I've thought about this thing numerous times....especially yesterday evening when I was perched in a tree within sight of where this happened the day before. I watched five deer slip through the woods within range, but not a clear shot. I don't get enough perfect broadside shot opportunities like I had the other day!!!!!

I believe that what happened was a result of a weak knot on my loop combined with the torque that my release head applied to it during the awkward draw...once my wrist pivoted into the weld position all heck broke loose....literally. My release is old as the hills....a Tru Fire Hurricane that doesn't hardly rotate anymore...this combined with the large head just did my loop in.

I hunted last night with my practice release...a Scott Wildcat.

Oh well...things will come together soon enough.

You folks be careful out there and enjoy yourselves!!!!!

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
What I want to know is why did your arrow come off the string? If your loop broke then your arrow should have went thru the doe just like releasing it. I have seen several loops give out but never had the arrow come off the string.
You dont want this do be a bow bashing thread then why bring up your glad this happened to the hoyt and not the Bowtech? Have you ever dry fired your bowtech? How do you know it would mess it up? Just asking.

·
Registered
663 Posts
SEOBowhntr said:

exactly this last bow the lady who set it up begged me to try a string loop, i did for about four shots and said give me a half inch draw back on and i'm clipping directly to the string. I got torque and twist that affected my groups and the second shot felt like it snagged. She told me its the kind of release you use. Well since i have about 400 mini gooses that are exactly the same . . . .

cut it off now

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I've only had one loop fail on me in the three years that I've shot with one and it was my fault it happened.

I had installed it that morning and I didn't make the mushroom on the end big enough. After about a dozen shots, I got the bow drawn about halfway back and the end slipped through the knot. Busted my lip pretty good, but it hasn't detered me from using a loop. Fortunately my strings held up and no damage to the bow.

If you install them yourself, make sure you get it as tight as you can and mushroom the ends as much as you can, shouldn't have a problem if you do both of those. If you had a shop install it, look into learning to do it yourself, at least if it happens again you'll know who's fault it was.

Sorry that happened to you, but don't let it discourage you from using a loop.

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
Huntarcher said:
I know most of the archers are using string loops and that is fine,but for that reason I went back to eliminator buttons.
D loops are the way to go. The only reason they break is from improper installation or not checking for wear. I have never had one break in 15 years of hunting and target shooting. If mine shows the slightest wear, I just tie a new one on. Easy. Takes a lot less time to put a D loop on than it does to reserve your center serving.

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
Ouch. Your Trykon looks like it has a bobo.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts