Archery Talk Forum banner

hypothetical question

846 Views 6 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  3D dad
how would anybody go about shooting a bow without their thumb on their bow hand. i've seen some pretty neat ways of shooting disabled but just wondering if anyone had any thoughts.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· X's R Us
3,458 Posts
Learn to shoot with the other hand and shoot fingers, index release, or a pure backtension release.

· Registered
60 Posts
Lost thumb

Mr. 3-D DAD,

There is a man that shoots at Lebanon area bowhunters
3-d range(Lebanon Mo.) that is missing his thumb on his bow hand and he shoots by putting the grip between his first and second fingers and shoots a low wrist grip with most of the draw weight at the heel of his hand, Also he uses a wrist strap.

Hope this helps?

Chumpy.

· Registered
5,700 Posts
first is the thumb completely gone or is there a stub. that would make the difference in how to hold the bow in that hand. another thing is i would look at bows with very narrow throats. another thing is how you would hold the bow against the area where your thumb was and making use of the thumb pad. also a finger style sling from the index finger around to the little finger should help you with holding the bow. if i could see a pic of the problem that too would also help
rob k
there are ways to make things work

· Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i really appreciate the help. i haven't lost my thumb. but in it's present state it's useless. i got it caught in a drlling machine at work and it got chewed up pretty good. from about the bottom of my finger nail down about an inch or so there's no meat. they sewed it up best they could but there is still a gap. i tried the shoot between the fingers deal but with the hoyt riser my thumb hangs up on the arch. it probably wouldn't be a big deal if this was jan. but we have states here in about a month and i was really trying to make a good showing. oh well, this may be a pill that i have to swallow. thanks for the help anyway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.