Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I shouldn’t compare, but everyone I see shooting Hoyt’s are pulling back 60-70lbs. I only pull back 30-40lbs. Am I wasting some part of Hoyt’s performance with that? I mostly target shoot,and occasionally hunt-given that info, could there be another bow out there that will perform the same or better for what I’m doing with it? I’m in the process of looking at new bows and I’ve only looked at $1000+ Hoyt’s- so far in my life I’ve found it to be impossible to find a used one with my draw length (26) and weight of 30-40 lbs. I don’t want a kid bow or a pink camo one (no offense to anyone, just not my style). Any thoughts on something I should try?

·
Registered
43 Posts
You are almost exactly my draw length and weight. I only target shoot and just got a Hoyt Invicta and I absolutely love it! My daughter has the same measurements and shoots a PSE Phenom which also shoots great! The phenom was definitely cheaper than the Invicta.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've recently switched to a Hoyt Pro Comp elite 40-50lb, but before that I actually had a lot of luck with PSE in the 30-40lb draw weight range, with the same draw length as yours. I also used to sell bowtech and some of their bows are DEFINITELY worth checking out, they've come a long way in the past 10 years and have great quality bows and good custiomer service and support.

·
Registered
56 Posts
KariJo, check out the Torrex. That’s what my gf replaced her PowerMax with. It fits your specs and it shoots phenomenally. She had hers setup Saturday & sighted it in Sunday. Yesterday after work we shot on our range and her groups are damn impressive. And it’s $599!

·
Registered
9,880 Posts
What type of shooting are you doing? What do you mean by "perform"? Speed, accuracy, etc. My wife is a 25" 40ish shooter and has had a lot of bows including Hoyt target bows, and Hoyt hunting bows. She uses an older Hoyt shoot thru target bow and loves it. She has moved to Xpedition bows for hunting. The Xpeditions are now sold at Sportsman's Warehouse at a discount, check out the Thresher X at 3.6 pounds, its very fast accurate and easy to tune. Check out the Lusk Adventures 2020 Xpedition archery bow battle on YouTube.

·
Registered
20 Posts
After shooting all of the bows I chose a PSE evoke. It’s set to 76 pounds with 90 let off. It’s incredible

·
Registered
182 Posts
After shooting all of the bows I chose a PSE evoke. It’s set to 76 pounds with 90 let off. It’s incredible
Not sure you can compare pulling 76 pounds to pulling 40. To the KariJo: I too have a 26 DL and shoot 40 DW. I have an Avail and really like shooting it. Good to try several bows before deciding what you would like to shoot.

·
Blue Marlin
3,001 Posts
My wife has a 50# Ritual turned down to 44 w a 26 DL. She loves that bow. It has a lot of let off after the hump in the draw. One thing that has helped her is building strength w a Accubow.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
I've tried others, but always seem to end back at Hoyt.

Reactions: vonscott

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Take a look at Athens, they offer flagship performance at a great price!!!!

Athens Archery | The future of archery.
I know I shouldn’t compare, but everyone I see shooting Hoyt’s are pulling back 60-70lbs. I only pull back 30-40lbs. Am I wasting some part of Hoyt’s performance with that? I mostly target shoot,and occasionally hunt-given that info, could there be another bow out there that will perform the same or better for what I’m doing with it? I’m in the process of looking at new bows and I’ve only looked at $1000+ Hoyt’s- so far in my life I’ve found it to be impossible to find a used one with my draw length (26) and weight of 30-40 lbs. I don’t want a kid bow or a pink camo one (no offense to anyone, just not my style). Any thoughts on something I should try?

·
Registered
25 Posts
The draw length issue was the same for me when trying to find a used bow. I got tricked into buying one that even with new limbs was 28 inch draw (I’m a 26.5)... and poundage the lowest was 45... unless the bow is geared towards women I find it hard to get anything short enough and low enough (below 43). Matthews makes the avail which is a women’s bow that would be short enough and right for weight.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
the brand of bow you shoot makes little to no difference. they all make good bows these days. try as many as you can, don't make a pick on the first try, wait a short while, go back to try a few bows a second or third time and i have always said,..."pick the one that feels the most comfortable when shooting it".

·
Registered
29 Posts
I took a chance and bought a Martin Vixyn (now called Diana) which is women’s specific but not pink and overly girly. I don’t like girlie stuff either but chose it due to a recommendation, it’s weight 3.3lbs, full carbon and lowest draw weight of 36lbs, and made in USA. Luckily I am happy with my choice so I’m letting you know you may want to consider this model also.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I feel you on being able to try bows. I'm shooting 45lbs and I'm 26.5"-27" draw length depending on the bow. I started with the Elite Ember. I tried a few bows that went down low enough (~30lbs) when I started and liked it the best. Wanted to try to shoot some other brands/bows when I was ready for my next one but no shops in my area had any that would go down to the low 40lb range other than ones I had looked at initially. I took my chances on an Elite Rezult and ordering it with 50lb limbs. Ended up loving it (luckily) and now also have an Elite Kure (also with 50lbs...both are turned down a few turns at the moment).

Are there any archery clubs or leagues in your area? If there are - ask some folks there (especially any women) what they're shooting and if they wouldn't mind letting you take a few shots with it. It might not be the right draw length and the draw weight might not be perfect, but you'll be able to get an idea if you like the draw cycle, the valley, the grip, etc. If it is a bow you like then make a note of the brand and model and add that to a list to ones to search for.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Barnesdale will make you just about anything you want.If I was going to try something else I would be talking to him.The only thing he won't make for you are limbs that go over any manufacturers already established weights.Would love a 100lb set for my Carbon Element 😃.I have seen enough Barnesdle bows and they are amazing.Want shoot through strings like OK archery?They will do them better.Just about any cam and riser configuration you can think of.I have seen Barnesdle bows on the podiums at tournaments.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I feel you on being able to try bows. I'm shooting 45lbs and I'm 26.5"-27" draw length depending on the bow. I started with the Elite Ember. I tried a few bows that went down low enough (~30lbs) when I started and liked it the best. Wanted to try to shoot some other brands/bows when I was ready for my next one but no shops in my area had any that would go down to the low 40lb range other than ones I had looked at initially. I took my chances on an Elite Rezult and ordering it with 50lb limbs. Ended up loving it (luckily) and now also have an Elite Kure (also with 50lbs...both are turned down a few turns at the moment).

Are there any archery clubs or leagues in your area? If there are - ask some folks there (especially any women) what they're shooting and if they wouldn't mind letting you take a few shots with it. It might not be the right draw length and the draw weight might not be perfect, but you'll be able to get an idea if you like the draw cycle, the valley, the grip, etc. If it is a bow you like then make a note of the brand and model and add that to a list to ones to search for.
Thank you for the advice. What is the valley? Between the tough part of the pull and the full stop?

·
Registered
143 Posts
try the Bowtech Solution SD, Hoyt Eclipse and Mathews Prima. its a great bow and will give you really good performance with that draw length and poundage. my wife tried all 3 of those for a while in store before ordering the Prima. she said it was very quiet and held on target really well. Another excellent option is a Mission Switch.

·
Registered
Bowtech Eva Shockey
70 Posts
How exciting to bow shop!! Some great advice and insight to bows I had not heard of.
If you do not have shops close that allow you to shoot all different brands make a mini vacation/weekend trip to be able to find what feels and shoots the best for you.
Just call shops first to make sure they have some that are in your ranges.

Oh-I shoot Bowtech Eva Shockey but DL is 27
I shot the new one GEN 2 last weekend
Both are nice the new one is not girlie at all
I have never shot a hoyt
Best of luck

1 - 20 of 20 Posts