Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I appreciate everyones input on some questions I’ve had regarding arrows the past couple of days.

these are the handful of options I’ve narrowed it down to.Disregard arrow shaft diameter and insert systems. That’s a whole different conversation.

Based on the spine, speed, KE, foc, etc numbers. Which are you picking out of these?

Font Screenshot Technology Parallel Rectangle
Font Screenshot Technology Parallel Number
Font Screenshot Technology Parallel Rectangle
Font Screenshot Technology Parallel Number

·
Shootin and Cussin
25,232 Posts
Seriously? I would think the choice would be fairly straight forward.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Seriously? I would think the choice would be fairly straight forward.

Are you referring to the high FoC arrow with almost perfect spine in the first picture?

that's the one EVERYONE is telling me not to shoot. "Inserts suck" "they're fragile" "too much FoC is a bad thing" yada yada yada. Thats what has me second guessing

also, victory's spine calculator says that one is overspinged and the .350s are correct. Using the exact same information that I used on pinwheel to get this information

·
Lift, Run, Shoot
13,930 Posts
I don’t know who “EVERYONE” is but they are likely wrong. Inserts absolutely don’t suck with that arrow if using SS and assuming you would be based on FOC (which is also not “too high” at that level by any stretch).

But what bow are you shooting at what draw length and what poundage?

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don’t know who “EVERYONE” is but they are likely wrong. Inserts absolutely don’t suck with that arrow if using SS and assuming you would be based on FOC (which is also not “too high” at that level by any stretch).

But what bow are you shooting at what draw length and what poundage?

Its a Mathews Traverse, 60 lbs(more like 62), 30". All of that info is entered into pinwheel to generate these numbers.

I put in my current arrow for reference, and it was almost dead nuts on all the information pinwheel spit out versus what I'm seeing in real life shooting them.

that makes me feel really good about using the XVs. That data set looks as close to perfect on what I'm trying to achieve as possible.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Noticing your battery bar, you’ve put a lot of time into researching this!

Victory and BE are two different companies, comparing data from one company that says 350 to another company that may say different is a flaw in logic.

I’d say run some 300 spine shafts from BE, or maybe consider something like a 320spine shaft from Easton or a 330 or 340 from GT or CX, and see if the extra little bit helps balance you out. Either way, your software points you to 300 as being optimal, so I wouldn’t venture too far from that data point. Worst case you can buy a single arrow from Lancaster and test it out. Have you shot any of these proposed arrows?

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
This isn't the answer you are looking for, but I say none of them. Why not RIP or Rampage 300s? The XV's have a very thin wall. I have never personally shot XV's, but know people who have. They are not the toughest arrows on the market. I have shot both RIPs and Rampages. Liked them both, but now shoot BE X-Impacts.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Noticing your battery bar, you’ve put a lot of time into researching this!

Victory and BE are two different companies, comparing data from one company that says 350 to another company that may say different is a flaw in logic.

I’d say run some 300 spine shafts from BE, or maybe consider something like a 320spine shaft from Easton or a 330 or 340 from GT or CX, and see if the extra little bit helps balance you out. Either way, your software points you to 300 as being optimal, so I wouldn’t venture too far from that data point. Worst case you can buy a single arrow from Lancaster and test it out. Have you shot any of these proposed arrows?

Im not really "comparing" them, I'm just saying they're the ones I've liked and considered. Theres also a victory .350 in there, which Victory suggested when I put the information in their shaft selector.

Running a .300 in either of those black eagles is not an option for me. Then I'm back to the higher weight class of arrow that I'm trying to get out of. At 485 grains, I'm getting around 265 fps. Thats plenty adequate on any game animal, but the fact of the matter stands that I want to get a more flat trajectory than I have now. The only way to do that is to use a lighter arrow. The arrows above are my option.

The only other alternate I've seen is a 340 GT Velocity Pro, but basically they're sold out everywhere and the arrow would finish a little further on the light side at 425 grains. The spine is also less optimal than the XV 300 with a heavy front.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This isn't the answer you are looking for, but I say none of them. Why not RIP or Rampage 300s? The XV's have a very thin wall. I have never personally shot XV's, but know people who have. They are not the toughest arrows on the market. I have shot both RIPs and Rampages. Liked them both, but now shoot BE X-Impacts.

They finish too heavy for what I'm trying to do. They're overspined without brass or stainless steel inserts. However, if I use brass or stainless steel, I'm back in that 485-500 grain arrow weight that I'm shooting now and want to change from. if I were going to do that, I'd stick with my front loaded Easton Hexx I'm shooting now.

I want a more flat trajectory while maintaining +/- 75lbs KE.

I know the XV is thin walled to get the low GPI, but between them being .300(so they have to be thicker to achieve that spine deflection), and using half outs or a HIT with footer, I dont see how they could be as brittle as people are leading on

·
Registered
10,801 Posts
Look at the Easton Hexx

Reactions: NovemberWhitetailz

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Look at the Easton Hexx

that's what I shoot now. I'm in between spines on those though. 330 is too weak if I front load it. 330 is way too light if I dont.

260 is too stiff. I shoot the 260s now. I built some just out of curiosity. I was able to get them to tune surprisingly, but they're way heavier than I like and they have ZERO "forgiveness" down range. I'm assuming due to the fact that they pretty much dont flex out of my bow.

if they would make a .300 that was around 8-8.3 GPI, theres nothing else I'd ever shoot again. Truly dont understand why they dont

·
Lift, Run, Shoot
13,930 Posts
They finish too heavy for what I'm trying to do. They're overspined without brass or stainless steel inserts. However, if I use brass or stainless steel, I'm back in that 485-500 grain arrow weight that I'm shooting now and want to change from. if I were going to do that, I'd stick with my front loaded Easton Hexx I'm shooting now.

I want a more flat trajectory while maintaining +/- 75lbs KE.

I know the XV is thin walled to get the low GPI, but between them being .300(so they have to be thicker to achieve that spine deflection), and using half outs or a HIT with footer, I dont see how they could be as brittle as people are leading on
Sorry, thought first one was a RIP 300. Impossible to find now but that's what I shoot. Incredible shafts but you will get a bit heavy with SS up front at your arrow length.

Definitely lean stiffer than weaker though.

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
The XV shafts are the only shaft that I’ve ever had trouble with. Just too thin IMO. I would suggest looking for another shaft even if it means a slightly heavier build. I think in the long run, you’ll be happier.

·
Just thwackin' it.
7,435 Posts
I haven't seen anything about what you are thinking for application. Hunting (and at what distances)? 3D? Total Archery Challenge? Indoor? Field? A mix of those? Don't overthink it:

Smaller diameter will only help with cross wind resistance. No help unless you plan on launching stuff past 50 yards IMO.

Total arrow weight is more important than extreme FOC. Around 15% FOC is plenty. I've seen zero benefit for more TBH, and when you add a ton up there, you better have decent fletching to affect/correct flight. I've gotten plenty of pass-throughs with 375 grain arrows... shot placement is key.

Speed is irrelevant on any modern archery equipment unless you are trying to minimize yardage estimation errors for competitive unknown distance 3D, and even then you are usually limited to 290 fps and below.

It's ALWAYS better to go with a slightly stiffer arrow for tuning purposes, but even a slightly weaker arrow can be tuned.

·
Shootin and Cussin
25,232 Posts
Are you referring to the high FoC arrow with almost perfect spine in the first picture?

that's the one EVERYONE is telling me not to shoot. "Inserts suck" "they're fragile" "too much FoC is a bad thing" yada yada yada. Thats what has me second guessing

also, victory's spine calculator says that one is overspinged and the .350s are correct. Using the exact same information that I used on pinwheel to get this information
Yes. First, you can almost always tune an over spine arrow. Under spine is a different critter especially with a broadhead. Second, don't believe "everyone" because almost everyone has a bias of some kind about equipment.

·
Registered
336 Posts

I don't know who "everyone" is... but the in/outserts are fine. You will rarely see someone start a thread to praise how amazing something works, but they will not miss a beat with a complaint which is why you only hear the bad. Ask anyone in customer service how often they get a "You guys are awesome call"?

·
Registered
423 Posts
Here's a 300 spine rampage that hit the leg bone of a pig yesterday. I've broken 6 out of the dozen 5 on animals in the last week. Most breaking after they passed through and hit something skipping off the ground.. I'm done with light gpi shafts..
Plant Plant community Land lot Grass Wood

1 - 20 of 36 Posts