Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I couldn't hit my truck at 80 yds.
I doubt if I could hit a tire on my truck at 60.
But I can hit a baseball 9 times outa 10 at
25 yds.
Therefore, I don't shoot at no animals beyond
25 yds.

I've been shooting a little this evening.
And thought maybe the Forum could use a little dose
of some truth tonight. Just sos readers know that
all of us don't think that we're Howard Hill.
Ronnie

· Registered
6,587 Posts

· Registered
3,016 Posts
I hit my hsed once my lawn mower once and heated bucket for stock. the only thing left to hit in the yard is the dog and the target.:eek:

· Registered
365 Posts
im dead nuts out to 40 and decent out to 60 after that its a game of chance

· Registered
129 Posts
This is funny !!! I once shot a target at about 30 yards, (a bear broadhead not on straight ) can you say plain? Missed the target, over the bank , 40 yards away thru the machoine shed, and stuck in the back wall. Now that impressed everyone LOL:mg:

· Registered
2,809 Posts
For someone new to it would it be best say to start with say 30-40 yards? I mean if you are fresh it could help you in the long run. I know for me it did with my bb guns from my youth. I always figured if i was a good shot long range i could be a great shot where all my friends stuck with good.

I'm trying to figure out how im going to go about this.

· Banned
4,880 Posts
I rarely shoot inside 40 yards unless it's in a league.If you practice at 40 then shots inside of that are chipshots and 50+ you will be very steady and confident.Practicing at 20 yards is ok if you don't mind busting a bunch of arrows and spend a good amount of time fletching arrows for no good reason.Everybody should know their own limitations.If you want to streatch you maximum effective range then you need to practice shooting long distance and do it a lot.There is no substitute for practice.Practice will strengthen your muscles and make you hold steadier.People that aren't comfortable taking longer shots shouldn't be knocking the guys that work hard to be able to do it imo.

· Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I rarely shoot inside 40 yards unless it's in a league.If you practice at 40 then shots inside of that are chipshots and 50+ you will be very steady and confident.Practicing at 20 yards is ok if you don't mind busting a bunch of arrows and spend a good amount of time fletching arrows for no good reason.Everybody should know their own limitations.If you want to streatch you maximum effective range then you need to practice shooting long distance and do it a lot.There is no substitute for practice.Practice will strengthen your muscles and make you hold steadier.People that aren't comfortable taking longer shots shouldn't be knocking the guys that work hard to be able to do it imo.

I ain't knocking nobody.
I'm being honest with myself.
Everybody here too.

Ronnie

· Banned
4,880 Posts
If limiting your shots to 25 yards is ok with you then it suits me right down to the ground to.But I don't want to be limited to only 25 yard shots even though most of the deer I shoot are inside of 15 yards.If I was to impose a 25 yard limit upon myself I would hunt with a recurve.I can shoot one of those pretty good but if I did then that would be a huge step backwards.If you spend a bit more time practing at 40 then I can promise you that you will shoot twice as good.20 aint much of a challenge to anybody and causes bad habbits.When shooting up that close I get a tendency to just put the pin on the spot and punch.You can't be doing that at long range or your shots will stray a lot.Long range shooting = exercising proper shot execution.Once you get in the habbit of doing that then that will cut out a whole bunch of punching and jerking.

· Registered
995 Posts
I hit a barn once,,,,, but I was inside :embara:
hit a garage. missed my girlfriends dad 57 chevy by 2 feet. dear lord.....thank you for 2x4's

· Registered
278 Posts
I am a good shot but

I couldn't hit my truck at 80 yds.
I doubt if I could hit a tire on my truck at 60.
But I can hit a baseball 9 times outa 10 at
25 yds.
Therefore, I don't shoot at no animals beyond
25 yds.

I've been shooting a little this evening.
And thought maybe the Forum could use a little dose
of some truth tonight. Just sos readers know that
all of us don't think that we're Howard Hill.
Ronnie
Hey Ronnie I am a good shot and practice at 25 yds. most of the time, I can shoot good out to 50 yds. but I can't tell you the last time I shot at a Whitetail past 35yds. Most shots are 25 or less.

· Registered
2,675 Posts
I know the feeling.... Anything past 35 and I am pretty much done. I wont take a shot near that far anyway for hunting so it all worksout in the end!

· Registered
1,503 Posts
If you ever hunt any of the open country out west in TX, NM, CO, MT, WY, UT, AZ, OR, and a few others you will LEARN to shoot at those longer distances. If you hunt mostly the midwest and eastern states 20-30 yd shots are what you are limited to mostly.

Like some others have said if you practice at 40 yds alot you will get better at 30 and 50. Practice at 50 and you'll get better at 60 and 40 30 & 20 will become chip shots. Practice at 60 and 70 & 80 will seem much less daunting.

I shot this little whitetail buck in Nebraska at 51 yds. We were both right on the edge of a freshly cut field of corn. He made the mistake of getting to close to the open. I didn't think twice about letting one fly at him. He only went 16 yds. The Slick Tricks worked their magic quickly on a sharply quartering shot.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.