Archery Talk Forum banner

I am an Idiot!!!!!!!!!!!

3414 Views 57 Replies 39 Participants Last post by  ArkBowHuntress
Well I just did IT for the first time ever, dry fired my tactical!:embara: First of all I know I am always suppose to have an arrow loaded but I am at work and was playing around with the timing on my drop away. I didn't want to put a hole in anything other then my target so I was drawing and looking at my rest and BAM I touch the release.:mg: The string never broke it just poped off on the cam end, I checked the limbs/cam/rollergaurd and everything looks ok. The string looks good also surprisingly.
What else should I check for and should I replace the string anyway? The nearest mathews dealer is 3hrs away so I won't be taking it to them to get it checked out anytime soon. For those of u who have the Z7E what is the axact axletoaxle measurement and braceheight? Also if I get a new string who on AT can make me one?
Once I get home I'll take some pics and post them, I feel like such a idiot I could of puked when it first happen.:pukey:

Thanks, Tyler
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

· Registered
859 Posts
60x is a great guy on here that builds strings....never used him but bought things off him and he's great to deal with and his strings looked priced very cheap....i have an extreme but cant tell you the exact measurements....bought it and it has sat in the case alot bc i bought it for hunting....i've dry fired a monster and got lucky enough that i didn't cause any damage so you may be alright....is there any nicks or anything in your string???

· Registered
2,959 Posts
It happens man I would put it in a press and make sure you dont have any cracks in the limbs also run a cotton swab down them and see what happens if it catches any where the limb is damaged check the cam real well I have seen the string peel the edges when they pop off.

· Registered
6,483 Posts
You might want to pull the axles and roll them on a flat surface to make sure they are not bent and take a good look at the cams and make sure they are also not bent. You should be good to go, probably not neccesary but I would put a new string on for the sake of putting a higher quality string on.

· Registered
1,415 Posts
All dipsticks say I know after the fact of it happening with out a arrow in the bow. Should have been at home working on the bow and not at work may not have happened then.
Thats just an awesome contribution to the thread- I'm sure its appreciated. Thats some crappy luck Tyler, hopefully no other damage than just needing a new string.

· Anti Fanboy
49,887 Posts
Man I hate to hear about that Tyler.
I hope no more damage has occurred.
I just sold a bow to a young man.
He wanted it delivered to his work.
Before he even got a chance to shoot it his boss dryfired it.
Cracked upper limb, known damage so far.
I hope the best for the fella.

· Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All dipsticks say I know after the fact of it happening with out a arrow in the bow. Should have been at home working on the bow and not at work may not have happened then.
Lol, I know and I deserve to be called more than a dipstick! I would at home but it's been -30C here for the last month and with little ones at home I don't mess with my bows indoors.

· Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would rather patch a piece of drywall than replace my bow...
I work in an powerplant where there is alot more than drywall, I would rather replace my bow than find a new job.

· Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just looked over my bow again and the top axle/wheel has a bit of play side to side, is this normal?

· Registered
3,967 Posts
Sorry to hear about your bad luck.Im not going to call you any names since we all make mistakes.Though apparently the guys who are calling you stupid and a dipstick have never made a mistake in anything.So for you and the rest of us non perfect people I agree you should talk to 60X he seems like a good guy to deal with.

· Anti Fanboy
49,887 Posts
stupid is as stupid does
Geeze, I cannot believe some of the negative posts on this.
The guy came on here hoping for a little comfort from his mistake.
Instead some of you just kick him while he's down by calling him names. Real good.
This world is getting so darn cruel.
Archers helping archers.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.