Archery Talk Forum banner

I Am Back to Public Land

1794 16
Lost my private land to hunt. Well, I don't know if I had in the first place. I had someone I trusted say, " you can hunt my land any time you want"

That was because I helped him cut wood along with four other people, in 16- below weather back in December, I was asking him the other day where the boundaries were and he freaked out on me. And then he called my friend and asked him what I was up to. My friend called me and asked me, I just said,

" all I was going on was his " you can hunt my land any time you want" then he said " well he leased it out, and only family can hunt it"

I said all he had to do was tell me, I would've understood, what a letdown.

But I hunted public land for over two decades, so it's nothing new, it's just a little more work.

DeerSpotter
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
12,283 Posts
Let the fool find someone else to chop wood this winter...you will have the last laugh because you know the value of keeping one's word, something he'll never appreciate.
Good hunting...

· Registered
1,378 Posts
Hi,
I feel your pain. I had an awsome spot in my area that was donated to a college. No more weapons of any kind are allowed to be on the property, its a federal law because of all the school shootings. On the public land so far this year I've seen 2 mountain bikers and a guy dressed up like the "Crocodile Hunter" that I'm pretty sure was out bird watching. It was kinda funny though as he had the hat on an the whole khaki outfit to match.
Jon

· Registered
525 Posts
Land

It took me four years of small conversations, generall politeness, and looking out for trespassers to earn the right to hunt the land surrounding my home. The landowners only request is keep it to myself and my family "kids". You will score some land if you work on it. Dont let one Idiot spoil it for you some people do still keep there word.

· Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
In Minnesota, and I may consider hunting Wisconsin this year also. Because there's public land over there and it's pretty nice.

My wife and I just finished off a crock pot of deer chili, and the other day we had mozzarella with whole-grain noodles and deer meat. It makes me hunt that much harder. I will be going back to lie and that I know. At least for awhile, and then I will try other public lands.

We public land you have to think different then the other hunters, most of them illegally and by about 1/2 mile, you hunt smarter, and wiser.

Thanks for all the encouragement, I am looking forward to my time in the woods this yr.

I really enjoyed hunting with a friend on his private land, he's a pretty cool dude, jumps out of airplanes too much ! But other than that he's pretty decent to hunt with. Don't know if I'll get invited back by him or not, he's going though some pretty heavy decisions, about moving out of the area.

Carl

· Registered
4,220 Posts
That was stupid, there is no deer, there is no photos, there is no story

But it gets moved, why to bow hunter showcase ?????????????

DeerSpotter
I would assume because its hunting related. Where was it posted initially?

· Registered
5,350 Posts
I love public land. I quit looking for private land in our area because the year after you get it there is a neihborhood sitting on it. I have killed a nice 8 pointer on public land and I am more proud of him than my largest buck.

Good luck and happy hunting. Jeremy

· Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It was originally posted in general discussion, but you would think since there was an old year to " showcase " they would have put it here !

Oh well, it's their house !

I know a few spots on public land, and I missed out on a 8 pointer opening-day a year ago.

Once again thanks for all the encouragement, I also think that people that hunt on public land, at least those that are serious about it, are better hunters by the end of the season. I think you learn more, and you take less for granted that you do on private land.

DeerSpotter

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.