Archery Talk Forum banner

I am sick.

2216 33
I shot the biggest buck I have ever seen in my life yesterday evening, but I couldn't find him. It looked like I made a good double lung shot but I can't find much blood at all. I will not shoot a Rage broadhead again.:cry:
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
1,539 Posts
shoulda used GRIM REAPERS and this would not have happened.....Sorry to hear about this AGAIN.

· encore4me
399 Posts
It is not allways the broadheads fault. If you made a high lung shot it may not bleed for a long time. All the blood has to fill the chest cavity befor it starts to come out. The deer IS DEAD if you made a double lung shot, it is dead if you made a one lung shot.

Matt

· THwack--CRASH
11,208 Posts
I shot the biggest buck I have ever seen in my life yesterday evening, but I couldn't find him. It looked like I made a good double lung shot but I can't find much blood at all. I will not shoot a Rage broadhead again.:cry:
I don't want to argue with you on this BUT, YOU NEVER GOT A DOUBLE LUNG WITH A RAGE AND NOT HAVE A BLOOD TRAIL PERIOD.

if you must blame something blame yourself for anything you want but that broadhead will cause massive entry holes and most that are hit never make it out of site .
if he ran out of site more than likely you hit a shoulder and got no penetration but definitely NOT A DOUBLE LUNG HIT AS YOU THOUGHT!

The choice of head doesn't make a difference ok ,it's where that head hits the boiler room thats the most important point.
you can kill them without a point at all, a wooden arrow out of a recurve at close range will kill a deer,IF YOU HIT IT IN THE BOILER ROOM.

So please don't blame the equipement for a non lethal hit

ps. you should be in the woods looking for your deer instead of on this site posting JMHO.

· Registered
9,543 Posts
if i hit a deer in the lungs, i don't care if it doens't bleed at all. i'm gonna find it. there's a lot more to tracking than just following blood. only way i won't find a deer is if it doens't die, and that's not often.

· Registered
2,588 Posts
here we go again. i don't care who you are, how good you are or what equipment you use, everyone has to understand the Murphy is a bow hunter, and if it can go wrong, eventually it will. It's just too easy to blame your equipment, believe me, I've been there. I will no longer shoot slick tricks because of a bad experience. Was it the broadheads fault? No, just Murphy's Law

· Registered
6,867 Posts
I wouldn't be so quick to blame any broadhead and I would ask, are you sure it was a double lung hit?

If you hit it high in the lungs, it can take some time before you get blood to flow very well, since they need to fill the lungs first.

Don't be so quick to be so discouraged, get back out there and look. And just go slow and keep looking.

Also, do you know which way it went? Look for sign as others mentioned.

There was a time I shot a deer with a slug and hit it right whereI needed too, and it just didn't come out the other side. There was absolutely, no blood for almost 90 yards. Fortunately, there was snow on the ground and I followed the tracks. It was hit high in the lungs and it just took time for them to fill up.

10,284 Posts
I have been in your shoes before,but I will also say that if you made a Double Lung shot like you say you did the Deer would be dead somewhere,even if you double lunged him with a Field Pointed Arrow...:wink: Best of Luck on your search and don`t give up on looking for him because you never know what you might stumble across...:) J.R.

· Registered
1,376 Posts
if you only looked for it last night, you are not an ethical deer hunter. look this morning, all day today, all day tomarrow, and if you still havnt found him, then MAYBE, you can say didnt find him. if you only looked last night, you CANT say you didnt find him, because you didnt look. i lost a dow last year, looked for 2 days, covered every foot of the property, and only didnt find her because if she died, she died on someone elses property. not mine. it was not the broadheads fault. even if it didnt open, and that is nearly impossible, that tiny razer tip, through both lungs, would kill it stone dead. aslo, all lund hits are not equal. a high lung, as others have said, will take some time to fill and spill over. look for that deer today, tomarrow, and all next week. watch for buzzerds, grid search, circle search, look for sign other than blood, and after all that is done, then MAYBE you will be justified in saying "i couldnt find him".....

· Registered
617 Posts
if you only looked for it last night, you are not an ethical deer hunter. look this morning, all day today, all day tomarrow, and if you still havnt found him, then MAYBE, you can say didnt find him. if you only looked last night, you CANT say you didnt find him, because you didnt look. i lost a dow last year, looked for 2 days, covered every foot of the property, and only didnt find her because if she died, she died on someone elses property. not mine. it was not the broadheads fault. even if it didnt open, and that is nearly impossible, that tiny razer tip, through both lungs, would kill it stone dead. aslo, all lund hits are not equal. a high lung, as others have said, will take some time to fill and spill over. look for that deer today, tomarrow, and all next week. watch for buzzerds, grid search, circle search, look for sign other than blood, and after all that is done, then MAYBE you will be justified in saying "i couldnt find him".....
Very well said. With all these "perfect shots" resulting in lost deer , it sounds like people need to be practicing their tracking/recovering skills more than their shooting. If the want them dead in their tracks they need to take up the guns.

· Registered
262 Posts
here we go again. i don't care who you are, how good you are or what equipment you use, everyone has to understand the Murphy is a bow hunter, and if it can go wrong, eventually it will. It's just too easy to blame your equipment, believe me, I've been there. I will no longer shoot slick tricks because of a bad experience. Was it the broadheads fault? No, just Murphy's Law
Kind of a contradiction there... what do ST have to do with Murphy? your bad experince must have been a bad shot??? Just sayin.

· Registered
2,588 Posts
Kind of a contradiction there... what do ST have to do with Murphy? your bad experince must have been a bad shot??? Just sayin.
I am not busting on ST's at all. All I am saying is that something bad will eventually happen to all of us. At time I blamed the ST's but after I had time to clear my head I knew better. It wasn't a bad shot, I would be my life on it. Some things you just have to chalk up to bad luck.

· Registered
2,611 Posts
shoulda used grim reapers and this would not have happened.....sorry to hear about this again.
t-shuttle
I will no longer shoot slick tricks because of a bad experience.
Any comments about "you should of done this", or "you should have used (insert BH name here) instead of Rages" are not helpful to Rebman10's comments. :confused:

Everyone can argue broad heads and shot placement later.

I agree that you need to be out looking for that deer all weekend. I am surprised that nobody else has asked, but:

1) did you find your arrow?
2) you said you couldn't find much blood, what was the color of blood you did find?
3) how long did you wait after the shot to go looking for him?
4) how long did you look?
5) how far did you track it?

Hopefully you don't post here again until Monday after you have found it, cause if you're posting here, you're not out looking. :wink:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.