Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always been an advocate of fixed blade broadheads primarily for two reasons. One, given my drawlength (27") and the fact I shoot a relatively light draw weight (60#), I'm more likely to get a pass through with a fixed blade than a mechanical. Two, I just never got over the horror stories from 10-15 years ago about heads not opening.

Recently though, I've been unhappy with the bloodtrails left by the Striker's I've shot for the past two years. I've been getting pass-throughs alright and the deer haven't made it over 150 yards. It's a good thing they didn't go far though, because bloodtrails have been pretty lousy.

So, after reading some reviews and testimonials from folks on here, I decided on the two-blade Rages. I shot the practice head a bit and as I would expect it flies right with my field tips and the Strikers. I got the heads put on my arrows, and the arrows in the quiver. All ready to go... Now, I'm starting to second guess my choice in broadheads.

So put me at ease guys, I need to be confident that I have adequate KE for these heads (410 grain @ 258 = 60#KE) or I need to switch back to the Strikers before I venture out again.

·
Registered
5,768 Posts
i shoot 27" 60#
switched to rage 2 blade this year. shot 3 deer all dropped within 60 yds. and pass thrus on all.

imo.........they are a very good BH. i modified mine to keep them closed in the quiver. but other that that i'm very satisfied.

btw i was shooting ST.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
There just the best I ever Shot!!

·
THwack--CRASH
11,175 Posts
you can't go wrong!
yesterday shot a doe a little further back than i wanted to but as soon as i pulled the release i knew it was going to be ok !
if i would of shot that same shot with a fixed blade (which i have on many occasions) i would have to wait and that deer would run quite aways.

this gal ran a total of 40yrds and was dead in a few seconds

complete pass thru blade ready to go again ...never hurt it a bit

·
Registered
691 Posts
I shoot at 70 lbs and 27". I shoot Rocky Mtn. Snypers (same thing, just smaller cutting diameter). I shot a doe 2 weeks ago...total pass thru, punched through 2 ribs, and the arrow augered in about 6 inches into the ground on the other side. Had to be careful not to slip on the massive bloodtrail while tracking.

BTW...I shoot much lighter arrows than you (356 gr.) at about the same speed and have less KE than you. ( My bow is a few years old) You should be more than good to go.

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
Shoot what you want but don't blame poor blood trails on the Strikers.

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i shoot 27" 60#
switched to rage 2 blade this year. shot 3 deer all dropped within 60 yds. and pass thrus on all.

imo.........they are a very good BH. i modified mine to keep them closed in the quiver. but other that that i'm very satisfied.

btw i was shooting ST.
How did you modify them? This is one negative I've heard about the Rage's and I'd be interested to see how you fixed it.

Shoot what you want but don't blame poor blood trails on the Strikers.
Your right, there's nothing wrong with the Strikers at all. They are a well designed and tough head and the blades are above average sharpness out of the package. As I said, I'm just not happy with the blood trails so take that as "blaming" if you want. The last three deer have gone down after 75-100 yards on a well placed pass through, yet there's very little blood to track (if I had needed to).

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
It just seems to me that no matter what head you pick (not you personally mind you) that someone comes on here and says they don't make good blood trails and they want to try something different.

And it goes the other way too. Every head has it's fan base because "they leave the best blood trail I have ever seen".

So it leaves me scratching my nogging and thinking blood trails have more to do with where you put the broadhead and not the broadhead itself.

·
Registered
6,249 Posts
I am not a Rage fan by any means, and I don't like the new Roll Pin design either. I have never really chosen one side of the fence or another, I really just shoot what I like. I have done some shooting with the Rage heads, and I really don't like their design. I think they took the Snyper, which by the way was a great head, IMO better than the Rage, and just made it worse. This year, is the first year in a long time I can say, I am not carrying a mechanical broadhead in the quiver. I have an assortment, each of them shoot very well. Anything from Rocky Mtn. Blitz's, to Magnus Snuffer SS's, or Slick Tricks.

When it comes to broadheads, the more blades, the more hemmorage there is. I know someone will probably get on my case, but for the money, and Slick Tricks are hard to beat.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I have shot one deer with the rage 2 blades ( 29 inch draw 63 pounds) I made a terrible shot but the blade caught her spine and she dropped... second shot through her rib cage and done....anyway the spine head was wrecked, and the ribcage blade I simply closed back up and put back in the quiver. It was as new.......the entry holes were big enough I could stick my fingers in all the way to my palm. drawback is that I HATE trying to keep em closed in the quiver or even on the string when nocked...I would NOT recommend them for spot and stalk hunting because a leaf brushing them seems to deploy them. I had to but a new quiver to be able to use them ( tree limb). IF they were just a tad harder to deploy I think they would be perfect . Mainly because of the huge wounds and that they fly exactly like my field points.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I thought the "O" ring on the tail of them kept them closed..I bought 3 packs of them this week..Better open them up and tinker with them..I am going to use them tonight. I have used Rockett Steelheads for years...Killed several deer with them. But the blood trail's have never been huge ..some pretty sparse.. Now I know someone is gonna start dancing about this..But I have made everything from liver shot's (and backed out for 3 hour's) to single lung shot's and even double lung... The blood trails have just never impressed me that much... So I am at least going to give these a try..Might go right back to my old standby..Drop

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I am not a Rage fan by any means, and I don't like the new Roll Pin design either. I have never really chosen one side of the fence or another, I really just shoot what I like. I have done some shooting with the Rage heads, and I really don't like their design. I think they took the Snyper, which by the way was a great head, IMO better than the Rage, and just made it worse. This year, is the first year in a long time I can say, I am not carrying a mechanical broadhead in the quiver. I have an assortment, each of them shoot very well. Anything from Rocky Mtn. Blitz's, to Magnus Snuffer SS's, or Slick Tricks.

When it comes to broadheads, the more blades, the more hemmorage there is. I know someone will probably get on my case, but for the money, and Slick Tricks are hard to beat.
Jeff, I've heard the same thing about the Snyper being a better head because of the rubber band holding the blades closed. I may try to pick up a pack of them as well :thumb:

Sounds like there's several folks with similar KE having good results!!

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
I used the Rage 2 blade last year from a 60 lb. Hoyt Protec, and had very good results on two mule deer bucks. One was a quartering away pass through, and the other was an almost broadside shot that stopped in the off shoulder. Both deer were on the ground within 50 yards.

For elk, though, I think the Striker is still a very good choice.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
They dont open up thats a farce-The only thing is if you change blades they may come uncocked but usually thats only if your still hunting and you hit some brush. So far this year I'vehad 6 shots and 6 kills with them and 5 passthrus. the only one that didn't was a 7 point I shot 2 days ago and I got 1 lung and the heart and broke theelbow on the exit side. The broadhead was still sharp and only the front blade was slightly bent. He went 40 yds and I heard him crash. 2 1/2" holes going in and same coming out.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,768 Posts
How did you modify them? This is one negative I've heard about the Rage's and I'd be interested to see how you fixed it.

Your right, there's nothing wrong with the Strikers at all. They are a well designed and tough head and the blades are above average sharpness out of the package. As I said, I'm just not happy with the blood trails so take that as "blaming" if you want. The last three deer have gone down after 75-100 yards on a well placed pass through, yet there's very little blood to track (if I had needed to).
search the word dremel. find thread by mofarmboy. it explanis the mod. w/pics

·
Registered
8,159 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.