Archery Talk Forum banner
61 - 80 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
I usually shoot with the same guys in friendly competitions, looser buys drinks however the last time someone brought a friend we didn't know. I shot after him, it resulted in me breaking his arrow. I apologized however he took a big attitude as if I owed him an arrow, am I missing something, I've never broken someone else's arrow.
In competition, the unwritten rule is if your arrow lodges inside another, you now own both arrows (as a trophy). The "tubed" arrow is ruined anyway, so . . . and no, you don't owe the other guy an arrow.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I usually shoot with the same guys in friendly competitions, looser buys drinks however the last time someone brought a friend we didn't know. I shot after him, it resulted in me breaking his arrow. I apologized however he took a big attitude as if I owed him an arrow, am I missing something, I've never broken someone else's arrow.
That’s crazy I don’t shoot with anyone but if you split my arrow great shot that’s a cool thing

·
Registered
Pse evoke LT, pse lazer,hamskea rests, victory arrows
57 Posts
Um sounds douchy…… we play arrow tag all the time! Put the bag in the shadows and alternate who shoots first least amount of distance total wins! And we are shooting TKO’s so not real cheap! But real fun at 50-70 yards!

·
Registered
77 Posts
It is pretty much an unwritten rule when shooting in a group: Broken arrows will happen. If that is not acceptable, don't shoot. Same as if you over shoot the target, your group will usually help look for the arrow, but 2 or 3 minutes is about the limit. There is usually another group coming up behind you; move on and you can come back later if you want.
Shooting etiquette, like good manners must be taught.

·
Can't keep em straight
3,849 Posts
Nah. "Hunting the other guy's arrows" is even a thing that happens for fun over here, you're really supposed to just accept that.
It's even funny cos I shoot heavy hunting aluminum and everyone else shoots light thin target carbon.
"Oh no. Oh dear. You hit my arrow. I'll have to replace the nock and maybe see what I can do about straightness or not. Your more expensive arrow... mushroomed or exploded upon rear-ending mine? How sad. Just terrible."

·
Registered
67 Posts
One of my friends is a fishing guide. On a trip to Alaska, one of his clients lost a couple of his spinners (which cost about the same as a cheaper arrow) - and then refused to fish the rest of the day because he was upset about losing them.

Same guy?

Oh brother… SMH

·
Registered
7 Posts
It's just part of the risk of shooting with other people at the same target. If he can't handle someone breaking his arrow in this situation, then he should stay home or take the sensible approach of bringing cheaper target arrows to shoot in public that he can afford to lose once in a while.
Or, he could be one of those people that wears his emotions on his sleeve. He may just react, while being oblivious to the fact that others are watching and listening. I've known people that are so "smart"... that they become "dumb" about knowing how to react to things like this.
It could have been the other way around. He could have damaged your arrow. How would he have felt if you developed an attitude about it?
You did nothing wrong. It's an arrow. Just take it as a compliment! Maybe he thinks you are so such a great archer that you decided to be a total ASS and do it on purpose! :D

·
Registered
36 Posts
Don't worry about it, I've seen hundreds of broken arrows at tournaments and nobody replaces the other guys arrows, that's part of archery. Heck , the guys I shot with used to go knock hunting. Nobody cried, some good hearted curses, but all was good.
I think the gent is working you.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Like stated if it is a competition than it is part of the risk, but he may be on a strict budget and trying to make his stuff last and might not want to invite him back after that as he doesn't fit in with the group. Not knowing him hard to say.

The other side is I had an older gentleman shoot with me before and he shot for my arrow all the time cause he could see my knocks. It was all good and part of the game until I was down from 14 or so arrows to 3. I had to have a conversation with him as we still had 10 plus targets and he kept breaking my arrows and I wouldn't have enough to finish and my chances of placing were fading fast. He blatently told me too bad, he could shoot where he wanted. Ok game on his score suffered with mine as I started shooting for the back creases. He got mad cause he couldn't tell what was front or back on the target but could see my knocks. After. Few targets he was humbled and we had another conversation where I explained if he can see my knocks all he has to do is aim an inch off and still hit it and he would be happy as well as me or I would keep shooting to preserve my remaining arrows.

·
Registered
60 Posts
As if someone never lost or broke an arrow before. It's the risk we all take shooting with other people. If the cost of losing an arrow is a big deal, they're in the wrong sport
Eliminate the “with other people” and you’ve stated it perfectly. Shooting groups damages arrows from time to time, be it with others or by yourself. The dude needs to get over himself or shoot alone.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I was at a shoot with my buddy and one of the targets was this soccer ball looking thing hanging from a tree.... He shot first and just caught the left edge of the 11 ring...

Him - Please don't hit my arrow... I only have 3 with me and we still have 25 targets to go...

Me - Meh... [looking through binos] Looks like you left me plenty of room on the right... I'll just put it over there...

View attachment 7623714
Oops 😏

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Eliminate the “with other people” and you’ve stated it perfectly. Shooting groups damages arrows from time to time, be it with others or by yourself. The dude needs to get over himself or shoot alone.
butthurt arrow guy might not be good enough to shoot robin hoods regularly if he shoots groups

so, he takes as malicious something that would happen several times a month if a good archer insisted upon shooting the same spot at 20 yards with several arrows on a regular basis

61 - 80 of 105 Posts