Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this gets asked all the time and I read every thread everyday but I just cant make up my mind and would love a little insight. I have a barnett buck commander 365 carbonlite at the moment, had it for years shooting maxima bolts with 150 grain slick tricks. Setup has worked fine but ready to try something new. I want more speed, smaller and higher quality. I've narrowed it to two bows either the tenpoint stealth nxt or the tenpoint nitro x......... or I wait another year and see if tenpoint improves on them more. I would go with the elite package and probably step down to a 100 or 125 slick trick. I shoot whitetail/turkey only from a treestand 95% of time or a ground blind the other 5%. I'm right handed but left eye dominant, always shot right handed while closing my right eye, makes for some weird shooting to most and I have a heck of a time getting a scope to work so I may need taller rings or a forward mount. I held a stealth the other day and it felt great but even with the scope all the way forward i couldnt see in at all, way to low for me. No one has or probably will have a nitro near me. Ill be making my order from wyvern if i buy something. My new hunting ground will be shots mostly between 30-55yards with many pushing the 55 yard mark so I definitely need power, I dont take those shots at all with the barnett. I carry my bows on my back about 1/2 mile each way. I know the nitro probably fits the needs better but its weight makes me a little nervous and i've never shot a reverse draw. Suggestions? i'm so back and forth and confused ha

·
Registered
21,713 Posts
My brother always tells me. Your going to get it you started talking about it lol. And most of the time i did if not every time. Tenpoints are a fine bow hard to go wrong with them. Theres many happy campers using them.

When i bought my 400 i made a list of things that was important to me. Gave each thing on the list a score between 1 and 10. And added up the score between the bows i was looking at. One thing is pretty much a given with good arrows there going to shoot pretty good.

Good luck

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
Shoot them both... You’re spending a ton of money so shooting them both is a must imo.....Good luck with whatever bow you choose....

·
Bolts! Bolts! Bolts!
1,850 Posts
Either bow will be fine.

On a side note, have you ever tried putting a patch on your dominant eye so that you can shoot with your right eye? Or have you ever shot left handed? I knew a tournament archer who won Vegas one year that was left handed, right-eye dominant that always shot a right hand bow to overcome that issue.

Where you at in Nebraska? I'm driving up through Nebraska in 2 weeks and toting my Scorpyd along. If you want to shoot a reverse draw bow and you are not too far out of my way, we can set something up.

·
Bringer of truth
14,910 Posts
maybe get a Ravin R10. lighter for that long walk.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I’m left eyed, right handed, learned to shoot right handed, use a vertical recurve, still. I use a very small piece of opaque Scotch tape right in the center of my left lense. Look straight ahead, and place the B.B. sized piece of tape right over the center of your focus. This will force the right eye to become dominate while the tape is on.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
nebraskaz71: In your post #1, you mention "eye Dominance". Try shooting with
both eyes open. With a bit of practice this will work when shooting with a scope or
a vertical bow with a peep sight. This advantage works excellent when hunting with
a scope. One eye looks through the scope while the other eye is watching the target.

You mention having the Barnett Buck Commander 365. I have the Barnett Buck Commander
BCXtreme 365 Ultra Lite. If you want it to shoot faster, install the cams from a Ghost 410.
The BCXtreme 365 Ultra Lite has the same 185 draw weight limbs as the Ghost 410.
I also shoot the Barnett Ghost 410. These crossbows all have the Barnett Crank Cocking
Device.
All the best.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the tips, I've tried shooting both eye open but have a hrd time of it, I may try a patch yet. When I bought a compound I got a left handed bow and to be honest I've shot it like a half dozen times and its sat ever since. I'm hoping scheels/cabelas gets in a nitro x but then again I dont know if I wanna wait till they do to order one haha season is sept 1st so I may be to late already to get one and get enough practice in with it.

Does a reverse draw shoot or feel a lot different than a regular bow? I would almost think with the weight being so far back on the nitro towards your shoulder it would in a sense feel lighter?

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Reverse limbs tend to feel more "comfortable" in my opinion....not front heavy or lighter...just like you described. You really should find and shoot some first...

·
Registered
21,713 Posts
I really like a adjustable stock myself. My Mission bows have 3 settings. While i can make it shorter and have and have hunted with them that way. I found that fit trumps short for me. I now run both as long as they will adjust. No need for extended rings and my eye falls perfect behind the scope. Without remembering or learning anything new. No matter if its my AR15 bolt deer rifle or either mission 400. I shoulder them and the scope is there.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Pretty sure the nitro x stock is adjustable slightly so thats a valid point as well.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Thanks for all the tips, I've tried shooting both eye open but have a hrd time of it, I may try a patch yet. When I bought a compound I got a left handed bow and to be honest I've shot it like a half dozen times and its sat ever since. I'm hoping scheels/cabelas gets in a nitro x but then again I dont know if I wanna wait till they do to order one haha season is sept 1st so I may be to late already to get one and get enough practice in with it.

Does a reverse draw shoot or feel a lot different than a regular bow? I would almost think with the weight being so far back on the nitro towards your shoulder it would in a sense feel lighter?
Do you have the same issues when shooting a rifle, nebraska? One thing about crossbows, they're ambidextrous unlike a compound or rifle. The stocks are adjustable on the TenPoints so you should be able obtain the proper fit.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I usually have a high ring on rifles and a lot more adjust ability on that as far as the scope goes vs a crossbow. I think one way or another I should be able to make the crossbow work even if I have to get taller rings or some sort of forward spaced rings. Decisions decisions lol only money right :p

·
today's macguyver
5,682 Posts
I think you picked a great company to purchase from , that being said both r great bows , for me a fella who does not have either bow any where with in 200 miles and had to chose by not seeing them or shooting , i would go with the RDX nitro x , more speed , more compact , and my # 1 , it is reverse draw .
I just don't car for conventional x bows , like the way the RDX balances at shouldering . J M 2 cents .

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Definitely seems like a reverse would shoulder better

·
Catty Shack
12,410 Posts
The road to indecision is paved with flat squirrels. Good luck with whatever you decide. :thumbs_up

Hey! I can post again!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts