Archery Talk Forum banner

I don't get it....

2807 Views 89 Replies 59 Participants Last post by  SavageHuntress
Maybe some of you could help me out..........I have a b/f who likes to hunt alot. He has given me every excuse in the world as to why I can not come along or why we can't ever hunt with each other. At first it was welllll you don't have your Hunter Education, so the next year I took it. Then it was..........what are you going to shoot? So the next year I bought a gun and practiced with it. The year after that many more excuses & now I have more gear you can shake a stick at and he still wont go to the range with me. When I am cleaning my guns & gear he makes sure he has something other to do and avoids any converation with me when it comes to hunting unless it has something to do with him & his buddy. So when I said I wanted to get into archery and I finally told him what bow I was looking into, all I got was "Oh". And when I asked questions about sights & rests the only response I get is "I don't know" So now I have resorted to doing my own thing when it comes to hunting season and my gear. I guess I just don;t understand. Did I step on some Man Toes here, I thought conservation was all about sharing? :confused:
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

· G5 killing machine
4,843 Posts
Hes scared you might show him up. Just go out and do your thing and if he doesn't like it say oh well. If he doesn't want to talk to you about anything that involves hunting. You can come here, we all can talk to you about it. Men are men some love there better half going with and some hate the idea of it. If it was me I would say well I met this guy/girl at the shop that love to talk to me about hunting. So I'm going to go there and hang out and talk some hunting. lol. That will strike a nerve I'm sure.

· Registered
2,313 Posts
I dunno wish I could help but I know I'd be hurt and mad. Have you confronted him about it?

· Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That was the biggest reason for me to join AT. I had seen ads in one of my magizines & thought I would check it out. I'm glad I did. It just stinx when the person you live with likes hunting as much as you do but doesn't want to be involved. I did make arrangements with the local pro shop to start turtor classes & they have womens groups there. I will be there twice a week now. I have never been a chauvinistic person & I don't put up with people treating me that way & I don't go around with that "whatever he can do so can I" attitude either. I'm pretty laid back & try not to push the issue, I just don't get it.

· G5 killing machine
4,843 Posts
Good idea sounds like you are going to have alot of fun doing that. Have you sat him down and told him how you feel about it? What does his buddies think about the hes he is treating you? If they are all for it then I would say talk to them and tell them how he is treating you. Maybe they could talk to him about it. Sometimes men listen to there buddies more than there gf.

· Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think that may be where the problem lies. His Buddies are very chauvinistic guys, I am not allowed to go over snd shoot skeet or target practice because It's a guy thing. I am on my own here and that's a challenging thing for a girl who dosen't know any other girl that like to hunt.

· Registered
27 Posts
boyfriend won't hunt

Most of us guys wish our girls would hunt with us! Maybe you need to trade him in? My girlfriend doesn't hunt, but scouts with me a LOT, has helped me hang stands, has helped drag in more than one deer, helped skin it and does most of the processing after I/we quarter it. dunno what you need to tell the guy, but you are an ITEM!

· Registered
7,588 Posts
Just sounds like he doesn't want you with him....I won't say anymore cause I don't want to step on anyones toes....but I do think is sucks...

My husband has told me that I am his favorite person to hunt with, he doesnt' want to hunt with anyone else....that almost made me cry. It took him a long time to get me to hunt and shoot with him. Now it is our best times together.

I am sure you can find someone to hunt with...

· Registered
3,756 Posts
Hope you do not mind a mans view. My wife does not hunt and I am glad. It is my time to be alone or with the boys. I love her more than anything on the planet but I also like my time. She has things she does where I am not invited even though I would have enjoyed the activity. That is fine.

Maybe that is one thing he wants to himself, I really do not think that is too much to ask. I am sure it would not be hard for you to find a good partner and get some good hunting in on your own.

· G5 killing machine
4,843 Posts
Scott thats the thing, he won't even talk to her about it. What type of person does that to someone they love? Yeah that just could be his time. But not to take the time to help her with her guns, bows, or just talk, or anything is just wrong. I'm glad shes getting involved with groups and all. That away someone will be there to help her and answer any questions she might have.

· Registered
3,756 Posts
I agree he should just let her know why, but he obviously is not going to budge on it. I guess the thread would then turn to why would you stay with a man who does not want to share your interests? Or why is it so important that he share this with you? Or why is it so important that you be in on this part of his life?

For some reason he feels his hunting is something he does not want to share. Maybe he just does not want to come out and say, "I do not want to hunt with you".

· Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would understand if he just wanted to go & get away - But he does it all the time anyway. Neither of us has kids, I have spent every weekend alone, (Well not anymore) while he hangs out with his bud's - I never complain when they come over and try to put up with their jokes. I think he is being selfish.

· Registered
3,756 Posts
I guess the question then becomes is this the relationship for you?

Sadly, it may be what he wants, which is not what you want.

As others have said, many guys would want a girlfriend who hunts.

· Registered
627 Posts
Just one more unsolicited opinion from a male perspective; your boyfriend is immature (and, yes selfish, which goes with immaturity). I'm no adviser by any means, but just so you know, there are lots of men out there who would give anything to be involved with a lady who was interested in hunting with them.

· Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sadly enough, that question has already run thru my head about this relationship, maybe I need to open my eyes & really take a good look at this. I think it is great to hear some of the other women here talking how their significant other has supported them in hunting, practice & purchasing gear. You gal's are really lucky to have someone by your side thru it all.

· Registered
7,588 Posts
Sadly enough, that question has already run thru my head about this relationship, maybe I need to open my eyes & really take a good look at this. I think it is great to hear some of the other women here talking how their significant other has supported them in hunting, practice & purchasing gear. You gal's are really lucky to have someone by your side thru it all.
I think with this post you have answered your own questions about the relationship. I wonder how many men have lost a woman because of her interest to hunt with him...seems like the shoe is on the other foot here.

· Registered
366 Posts
Taking you along

What the heck, I have been into the outdoors and hunting for as long as I can remember. My daughter (who is 10) loves to hunt and ice fish. Her first trip on the ice was when she was 7 months old. No she doesn't remember it but she has been ice fishing for Northern Pike as long as she can remember. I just bought her a Hoyt Kobalt so she can hunt in the 2010 season for big game. She wants to try to get a Spring Gobbler next month. I have tried everything to get her mom (my girlfriend) to go with us. She wants no part of it. Your boyfriend is wasting a perfect opportunity to share great times with you. HIS loss but you are missing out too due to his lack of interest.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.