Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to archery , and from what I've been watching you supposedly squeeze your back muscles together to pull the bow back. I'm a finger shooter so it's different than with a release. I just use my arm and pull hard with my arm.

·
The pointy end...
2,374 Posts
Unless you have a 10# bow, it's impossible to not use your back muscles because you arms aren't strong enough to pull the bow.
The key is to use as little of your arms as possible.

Do you shoot a compound bow? How do you draw it back? For me, it's easier to use more of back when I rotate my elbow around and don't pull "towards my armpit" and then bring the string up to my face.

·
Registered
630 Posts
It's back tension release as I understand it. Draw with arm, but tense your back muscles to get the release to fire. But I'm no expert.

·
Registered
557 Posts
You may feel as though you are using your arm muscles to draw the bow, but I assure you that unless your DW is under10lbs you are using back muscles to draw the bow. One way to understand this is simply isolating your back (stand with back straight against a wall) and try moving 20/30/40/50/60/70lbs around with only your arms - my guess is there are very few that can manage. I consider myself quite strong and big build (210lbs) and I can only manage about 40-50lbs of "arm only" weight with a struggle - 20-30lbs would be more comfortable and 10-20 for long term reps.

·
jakeeib
1,406 Posts
It is difficult to learn the proper way on your own. I recommend you try and find a coach in your area and take a few lessons. Fingers does make a difference, just think of all the Olympic style recurve shooters.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.