Archery Talk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First I'm not slamming anyone. If it's legal then it's OK just not for me.
I watched a show earlier where they were lion hunting. They hung what looked like the hind quarters of a wildabeast in a tree. It was periodically checked by guides until a lion showed up to eat. After the big cat got his fill and was sleeping in a creek bed they snuck in to approx 30 yards and shot it and shot it and shot it again! I know they wanted to make sure it was dead but showing that on TV just gives the antis more fuel.
I have a simple rule.....if my family doesn't eat it I don't kill it. You can't honestly say they kept the lion meat. They killed it for the mount. Just like killing a elephant, rhino, hippo or a zebra. What purpose is it other than a trophy?

· Registered
5,696 Posts
I watched a show earlier where they were lion hunting. They hung what looked like the hind quarters of a wildabeast in a tree. It was periodically checked by guides until a lion showed up to eat. After the big cat got his fill and was sleeping in a creek bed they snuck in to approx 30 yards and shot it and shot it and shot it again! I know they wanted to make sure it was dead but showing that on TV just gives the antis more fuel.
I have a simple rule.....if my family doesn't eat it I don't kill it. You can't honestly say they kept the lion meat. They killed it for the mount. Just like killing a elephant, rhino, hippo or a zebra. What purpose is it other than a trophy?
I guarantee you the meat of that lion was eaten by local villages.

· Registered
648 Posts
nothing like some good old fashion ignorance...

not all of the world is lucky enough to have a freezer full of backstrap, tbones, and pork chops...

all i have ever heard about those other "trophy only" animals you listed is that local villages, usually the villages of the trackers, skinner, or porters, use that meat...because they need it...

how about a little research next time before popping off at the mouth...not every family in the world is as lucky as yours...

· Registered
2,862 Posts
I don't care what anyone here says i saw that show too and going after a lion is just messed up. It brings in high dollar for those people over there so that's why they do it, but I agree it is defintely not for me. Does anyone ever watch mathews tv w/ dave watson? That show puts me to sleep.

Oh yeah anyone ever see that clip where the lion was in full stride after being shot and almost nailed that guy. It was going around the net a year or so ago.

· Registered
2,313 Posts
:behindsof :fencing:

· Formerly Irish_25
8,642 Posts
Elephants, hippos, rhinos, zebras, and lions still have to be managed like any other wildlife. And in the lions case what other natural predators does he have besides man. Too many lions means more livestock being killed. Just like mountain lions over here in the states. Personally I would never want to kill an elephant I think. But someone has to do it to keep them in check.

· Registered
1,360 Posts
The guy that taught me how to turkey hunt went to Botswana with Johan Caltiz safaris a couple years ago. He was lucky enough to shoot a leapord, and it was given to the local "medicine", who used ever bit of the animal that was given to him. I say more power to anyone with the cash, time, and fourtitude to hunt the Big 5, crocs, and hippos.

· Registered
597 Posts
yeah

Do you think millions of starving people will pass up on a dead lion, not hardly. Even though I dont believe in helping those in Africa,Im still glad to see meat not wasted. They say an elephant wil feed a mid-sized village for like a month or longer.

· Registered
2,556 Posts
First off, you are slamming someone. You're slamming the hunter that killed the lion and your slamming outfitters in Africa. And, as a hunter, you're actually adding fuel to the fire of the fringe groups by attempting to inject your way into their way of hunting. You're attempting to divide the ranks amongst your peer group.

Fine, it's not for you. That's just dandy. Don't be a part of it.

There are plenty of people right here on AT that would also tell you that some of the things you do are wrong. But you would probably disagree, wouldn't you? Who are you to tell African hunters and outfitters that what they do is wrong?

It's just a little hypocritical, don't you think?

· Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Do you think millions of starving people will pass up on a dead lion, not hardly. Even though I dont believe in helping those in Africa,Im still glad to see meat not wasted. They say an elephant wil feed a mid-sized village for like a month or longer.
On that subject I personally think instead of spending millions of dollars on commercials trying to make people feel sorry and donate money to feed the starving people they need to spend that money on condoms to keep them from breeding. Whole families are starving with 5+ kids but mom is always pregnant again. We have millions of people in America starving but I don't see any commercials about that.
Bring the lions, tigers, elephants, zebras and everything over here to feed the hungry.

· Registered
19,551 Posts
First off, you are slamming someone. You're slamming the hunter that killed the lion and your slamming outfitters in Africa. And, as a hunter, you're actually adding fuel to the fire of the fringe groups by attempting to inject your way into their way of hunting. You're attempting to divide the ranks amongst your peer group.

There are plenty of people right here on AT that would also tell you that some of the things you do are wrong. But you would probably disagree, wouldn't you? Who are you to tell African hunters and outfitters that what they do is wrong?

i agree!!

and i would like to add....that you cant honestly say that you have any idea what the people in Africa do with the animal after the kill. let me guess...you know someone there who told you about it...right??

every piece of the animal is used!!! and i mean every!!!:pukey:

· Registered
771 Posts
I don't have a problem with the ethics involved but.... I do find some of the hunts a bit canned if you know what I mean. You walk behind a guide, then he says wait right here, then comes back and gets you and tells you there is a "insert critter here" right over the ridge. You sneak over, he holds the sticks for you and you pull the trigger. Not much stealth, no camo needed, an army of guys to clean and haul the meat.

None of that sounds terribly exciting to me.

33,228 Posts
Elephants, hippos, rhinos, zebras, and lions still have to be managed like any other wildlife. And in the lions case what other natural predators does he have besides man. Too many lions means more livestock being killed. Just like mountain lions over here in the states. Personally I would never want to kill an elephant I think. But someone has to do it to keep them in check.
Very true. It also brings much needed money into the region. I understand someone not having an interest in hunting some species, but that is what makes lifes experiences so wonderful for us, we are all different. :thumb:
Its what gives us something to chat......... talk about. :wink:

· Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

First off dude you don't know me at all. You don't know what I hunt for or anything else. It's a free country here in America and if I choose to question something that is on MY TV it's my right. As I said in my original post...... if it's legal it's fine......... it's just not for me! I didn't agree with shooting the lion 3 times on camera. Was it necesary..... probably because I sure wouldn't want to walk up on a lion with only one shot in it. Should they have shown it on TV...... in my opinion NO. Again my opinion.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.