Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess it could happen to anyone but it happened to me today. Shooting 3D, glassing the target, judging the distance, glassing again, adjust my sight, judge again, glass again, draw back, settle in and BAM, turn every head at the range. It was humbling, embarrassing and probably the dumbest archery related F**k up I've ever done. Checked the bow over, all good, somebody found my peep down range, pressed it, put the peep back in and continued on. I have to say the next few shots had the butt pucker factor flying off the charts. 40+ years in the game and it was my first dry fire, hope it's another 40+ years until my second...

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
This made me laugh way to hard.. "butt pucker" I thought I was the only one that said that.

Good news is your bow is good and so are you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Shootingairborne
10,599 Posts
Sorry it happened. You don't shoot a Bowtech. ;)

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hoyt, looks like I have 1499 more to go before failure :icon_joker:

·
Premium Member
6,284 Posts
If it means anything at least you did it to your own bow and not someone else.
Still I can only imagine how you felt with other shooters around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,166 Posts
The Last indoor league I shot before that range closed down, over the course of 8 or 10 weeks 5 people did the exact Same thing
I wasn’t one of them but it had us all on edge lol
That league was jinked.

One guy argued with his partner afterwards swearing up and down he loaded an arrow, even though no one could find it, his peep hit the back wall 40 yards away and all 7 arrows he brought were still in his quiver lol

You are far from alone

·
Registered
195 Posts
I did it last year and I told my wife I didn't know where the arrow went. I looked in the quiver and found it. I puckered too when I shot the first few times. It broke a couple strands on strings at the peep but didn't hurt anything else.I replaced the string and hope to never do that again. I never understood how it could happen but what a crappy feeling when it did.

·
"Keep Hammering"
8,066 Posts
I guess it could happen to anyone but it happened to me today. Shooting 3D, glassing the target, judging the distance, glassing again, adjust my sight, judge again, glass again, draw back, settle in and BAM, turn every head at the range. It was humbling, embarrassing and probably the dumbest archery related F**k up I've ever done. Checked the bow over, all good, somebody found my peep down range, pressed it, put the peep back in and continued on. I have to say the next few shots had the butt pucker factor flying off the charts. 40+ years in the game and it was my first dry fire, hope it's another 40+ years until my second...
I had that happen once i drew back and realized a arrow wasnt nocked and let down real quick. Its so easy to overlook something so simple.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
A couple of weeks ago I was at the range talking to the fellow next to me, oviously not paying attention when I drew back. Thankfully I realized I had forgotten to nock an arrow and promptly letting down. It's amazing really how easy it is to forget.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Yearrrs back, I yelled out DON'T SHOOT LETDOWN LETDOWN, and was just barely able to stop a good Texas pro from dry firing at a field shoot over at Longview. At first he was some kind of pissed, wanting to know "WTH"....until I explained there wasn't an arrow on his string. The whole group had us a good laugh, and he was able to settle down and keep grinding.

I agree. It really can happen to anyone.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Glad ya got away with it. I said never once to - until I stepped out in the dark while talking to a buddy to shoot his bow thru a lighted area to the target thinking I already nocked the arrow. My free help cost me a set of cams and a string. That was on an Obsession Evolution and I hated myself for quite a long time. But if your going to dry fire a bow, Hoyt is what ya want I would think.

·
Registered
60 Posts
A couple things to check for after a dry fire, speaking from my own dry fire experience; check back side of cams for bending. They can bend up like a potato chip and it's easy to not notice, it can cost you about 20 fps but otherwise shoot fine. Run a cotton ball or q-tip along the glass limbs to see of it snags on a crack/splinter.

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
I dry fired a cross bow once, in a hurry sighting in.

I will say never, as in I will never own another crossbow without an anti dry fire mechanism.

·
Registered
65 Posts
did the same thing last spring, and here i thought it was just old age. the bow, a mathews mq32, was tuned down to 50# and no harm done other than the peep disappeared.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts