Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up some foam from Walmart today, had heard of people doingthis, I bought 2 cans...

I Used 1 can and shot the foam down the tubes.. Vibration is gone, the hollow thunk sound is gone.. just absolutely made the stand quiet.. Hell I thought it was already quiet.. but it got the vibes and the hollow sound out and thats what I wanted.. Im not sure how long it takes to dry but ill have some clean up to do tomorrow.

Great 6 dollar investment

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
I am gonna try this soon myself. It isn't what I would call loud now, but what can it hurt!

·
Registered
404 Posts
is there any concern with how long the smell from the foam will exist?? It might not last at all, but just curious.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I did it to my trophy whitetail back in the begining of august. i was amazed at the difference it made. like you said, great cheap investment...

·
Registered
329 Posts
As long as the stand isn't made of anything that will rust, its a good idea.

Otherwise, the stand won't last long.

·
Design&Hunt
1,726 Posts
My dad and I both do this with out stands. Makes a huge difference in the rails that have open areas that will let you spray in. He also does this with the rungs on his climbing sticks - such a huge difference in sound - cheap and easy.

Just let it sit for a few hours or overnight even, come back and trim off the excess that expands out.

·
Slickhead Slayer
5,674 Posts
I've done it will all the stands I have and it makes a huge difference. After it dries in the morning just take a razor blade and cut the excess off. I used the great foam cans.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Just a tip, buy some fish aquarium tubing to put onto the great stuff nozzle. this way you can make sure the foam is down as far as it can go.

the fish aquarium tubing is cheap, and fits perfectly.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
foaming will make outside of stand rubbing limbs walking a lot quiter.
foaming will keep water,bugs out if you hide stand in brush
foaming does not smell after a few days
be careful putting your hose deep as foam MAY come up the cable channel.leave cables in all the way,then after a few hrs,pull cables out about 2 inchs or so that they dont get glued in .
i believe the hose size at lowes is 3/16 .use 2 ft glued onto your can hose
get rubber gloves, cheap throw aways in box
buy small can of GOOF OFF to clear your hose of foam if it clogs
put stand in sun,if you can
you dont have to foam the whole stand.2ft deep is enough.
after week, paint the ends where foam came out,i use BEDLINER SPRAY.

DOLLAR STORES NOW CARRY FOAM IN GREEN CANS.

did i miss anything?ha

SPROUL HAS SPOKEN!

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
its as easy as 123
easy,well,hmmmmmmm.
if you dont SUPER glue hose onto your can hose,NOT EASY
if you dont wear gloves,NOT EASY
if you dont buy GOOF OFF ,NOT EASY
if you dont put your cables all way in,then pull out after about 3 hrs,NOT EASY
if you try to WIPE off the FOAM before dry,NOT EASY.

SPROUL HAS SPOKEN!

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
my only concern and why i havent done this is i leave my climber outside season long rain or shine and I am very concerned with it traping water and rusting! i mean you can do a good job an all but if water gets in and stays everyone knows what happens, you get rust. but i have been thinking about doing it esp now that i will probably buy a new stand in another year or two anyway. but thats my concerns

RUST seems like others have thought about it as well... what do you think?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Where do you put the foam?

I have a Summit Bushmaster and know I can put it in the seat portion but could you also use it wear the cable goes on the bottom portion? Fill in then use a long drill bit so the cable can work in and out.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
easy,well,hmmmmmmm.
if you dont SUPER glue hose onto your can hose,NOT EASY
if you dont wear gloves,NOT EASY
if you dont buy GOOF OFF ,NOT EASY
if you dont put your cables all way in,then pull out after about 3 hrs,NOT EASY
if you try to WIPE off the FOAM before dry,NOT EASY.

SPROUL HAS SPOKEN!

I didnt do any of that, and it was still as easy as 123

·
Registered
10,277 Posts
I saw the list of "good things" it does, but I can't say I have ever worried about any of that over the last many years and who knows how many stands.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts