Archery Talk Forum banner

I found my buck--? rack repair

1188 Views 9 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  Stanley
Last Friday I was looking for the ten thousanth ( ? real word ) time for a buck I shot in gun season and finally found him. He had crawed into a hole in the ground caused from erosion. The funny thing is I must have walked past him a hand full of times without ever spotting him or smelling him. The coyotes and mice had a field day on his rack but it was still impressive. I've sent it away for repair and plan on mounting it on a plaque. Has anyone ever had any experience with these type of repairs?? How did it turn out. Was it presentable? He was a main framed ten that probably would score in the 160+, perhaps 170's.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
587 Posts
I used to repair antlers at a local taxidermy studio. The repairs are fairly easy, especially when its just chew marks. The real artistic ability is in the painting of the repairs. I wasnt very good at it but the taxidermist fixed any problem areas I had. They usually look pretty realistic when finished so dont be nervous. Many of my repairs ended up going on shoulder mounts and you couldnt even tell which tines were fake. Handle them with care though, the paint and the clay stuff will scratch even after several coats and setting up.

· Registered
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
No picture software on my computer

My wife says that to post pictures I have to have the software on my computer. I didn't take any pictures of the rotting carcass anyway. I'll be sure to get some after it has been fixed though! I just started with this website about a month ago. I guess I'm behind? I got some other real cool pics to post as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.