Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading a bunch on tuning lately, bare shaft, paper,,, so I striped a couple arrows and shot them.
Because of all the different opinions on what is what, do this, not that, I'm not completely sure how to read this. What would you guys say ? This is my set up now.
Shooting 68lbs at 27" 340 spine Flatliner (I know, probably a bit stiff but they grouped better than the .400's) 100gr point. I'm left handed also.
I have removed the top cam lean at brace and FD. The bottom has just a tad but I can't do anything about that. My bow is timed very well, both stops are hitting the cables at the same time. The bow is an Element
Any thoughts...?

Attachments

·
Registered
47,473 Posts
Try bumping the rest to the left a hair. Could be slightly stiff spine, too, if the rest adjustment doesn't work.

·
Registered
7,538 Posts
Read nuts and bolts thread on bareshaft tuning. It will help ya out. As, buster said, move the rest left. a TINY amount. but you have to be patient because when you take two steps back, it will open up again and you just keep tweaking in microscopic amounts. when it closes up, back up some more and keep tweaking. You will be amazed how well your bow shoots when you finally get it done.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thx. for the advice guys.
I did try moving my rest left and yes it did help but i got to a point where I was having clearance issues from the rest being to close to the riser(LH). So I moved it back to where I was. I think Buster may be right that my arrows are a bit stiff, the fletched ones do group very well tho.

It's hard to tell from the picture but the bare shaft nocks are off at an angle to the right of impact. They aren't goin in straight like the fletched. The nock is level, but off to the right. What might that indicate, spine again ?
I'm starting to see that spine plays a major role in how well an arrow flys out of a particular bow.....? If your spine isn't on, does/will that give funny results on most other tuning methods ?
Thx. again guys

·
Shooter of flesh
7,661 Posts
Too stiff a spine? Try heavier points.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
I did try moving my rest left and yes it did help but i got to a point where I was having clearance issues from the rest being to close to the riser(LH). So I moved it back to where I was. I think Buster may be right that my arrows are a bit stiff, the fletched ones do group very well tho.

It's hard to tell from the picture but the bare shaft nocks are off at an angle to the right of impact. They aren't goin in straight like the fletched. The nock is level, but off to the right. What might that indicate, spine again ?
I'm starting to see that spine plays a major role in how well an arrow flys out of a particular bow.....? If your spine isn't on, does/will that give funny results on most other tuning methods ?
Thx. again guys
Or you can INDUCE a little cam lean. It doesn't take much to make a big difference when bare shaft tuning.

·
The Rut Rascal
1,744 Posts
typically that is a stiff spine but since you are left handed i think it is the opposite. try slightly reducing your draw weight.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Induce some lean...... Ok, I never would have thought of that. So, obviously in the direction it wants to lean, no ?

·
Shooter of flesh
7,661 Posts
Induce some lean...... Ok, I never would have thought of that. So, obviously in the direction it wants to lean, no ?
Experiment...if it gets worse...go the other way. Trial and error is a great way to learn.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts

Thx. again guys
If you're left handed, everything is backwards. So instead of this showing a stiff spine like it would for a righty, it's actually showing a weak spine for you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts