Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dropped my new bow off to a local bow shop and feel i got the shaft all the way around. I had the bow shop setup the bow. I got home and started looking bow over. Bow is a Bowtech Realm Sr6. I have a 27" draw. They had the bottom draw stop post in 27" hole and the top one in the 26" hole. I ended up putting the bow on a draw board. I found a white paint dot on top cam at 26" draw stop post location. I feel one draw stop hit first and they moved the second one to hit at same time. I'm no expert but I feel they both should of been in 27" hole and yokes/string adjusted for timing. I also asked the bow technician for a half dozen of fetched arrows so i could shoot bow until i finished fletching my own arrows. I told him the brand of arrow i wanted and he picked them and cut them down to length. Arrows we're behind service desk. I got home and started shooting bow and realized the spine is way off from what i need. Not even close. I feel i wasted almost $200 and a half a day of my time. I will never pay another person to setup my bows. I guess nowadays if u want something done right, you do it yourself.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I would return the arrows and tell them to give you the arrows you wanted. That is on them. As far as the bow goes I would have them do it again.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16,161 Posts
If draw stops are in in different settings yeah that's bad and not right. Also if they gave you wrong spine arrow and you told them what you were shooting I'd take them back and take the bow back and show them what is, wrong. Plus I'd get the owner or manager to look at what was done on the draw set up.

If they don't know what they are doing and no one tells the bow tech doing it wrong he/she will keep on doing it wrong.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
there's no reason to expect them to do anything different the second time around..... i wouldn't give them a second chance to screw up my bow. I would look for another shop, or learn to do the setup and tuning myself. it's not rocket science and there is plenty of instruction around. heck, you can screw up your own bow for free,.... why pay someone to do it.....and i would tell them exactly that.

·
Registered
9,745 Posts
Too bad you got ripped off, you could have invested in an E Z Green bow press for $380 delivered and been set for life, you can buy used bows for less than 1/2 price and set them up for free!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Take it as a lesson learned, most of us been there and reason why we invested our own tools to set up OUR own bows. It's fun working on your own equipment.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
the real issue is if they timed the bow with the pegs in the wrong location, now your cables are gonna be twisted up to make up that difference. Probably added weight to the bow and the only way to check is take them both off and measure them and put them back on.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Both should have been at 27” and there’s no excuse for that screw up or the wrong arrows. Bring it back and give them a chance to fix it. Be polite, be professional. Then be gone and either get yourself a press as suggested or find someone else who will be willing to help you out. Businesses that screw over their clients shouldn’t be supported not matter their excuse.

·
Registered
766 Posts
76A87776-239E-423A-8913-378DF5067E45.jpg
I was busy with work, but had ordered a new string for my R35. I had tuned it with the stock string originally, so I knew I needed the nock point 90 degrees and the bottom of the arrow half way through the Berger hole.I dropped the bow off in the way to work. I asked the local shop to put on a D loop at those specs. You see what I received. Lol.
So I paid them and still ended up doing it myself.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
This is the very reason that do it all myself now.

·
Registered
338 Posts
If you have access to a draw board, fletch your own arrows and know enough about arrow spines etc then why are you getting a shop to do your work for you? You only would need a bow press, arrow saw and maybe a bow vice to do all your own work.

Bowtech realm series (and others also) are designed to be tuned (paper tuned) by adjusting the yokes with the arrow rest set exactly at center. You may not have the wrong spine arrows, just may be not setup right.
The links below are from bowtechs technician on how to setup a bow. There is a short version and a long version for you to watch. Follow every step and you will learn how to do all the adjustments to your bow yourself better than that shop ever will. Also, do yourself a favour and dont use that tech/shop again as they dont know what they are doing.

Short - his own bow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9M7-nZxlyJo

Long - complete setup from start to finish
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60kh5J2cAmQ

·
Registered
15,355 Posts
Did you buy the bow there? If you did there should have been no setup fee.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I got a press and draw board to do everything myself.
View attachment 7216461
I bought one from a gentleman here on the forums a few months ago.
From the work i’ve had to do on my bows it’s already coming close to paying for itself.

Just make sure the fingers are right so you press the limbs evenly.
And if your bow has drawstops.
Make sure to put them on BEFORE drawing the bow.
That is a mistake I don’t want anyone to make after me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Must've been some rookie or inexperienced person at the bow shop that worked on your bow and gave you the wrong arrows. At my local pro shop the owner does most of the work and is excellent, but if he has the day off then you are risking an experience similar to yours.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Had a PSE Dominator set at 27" DL. Screw hole on top module stripped because it kept shaking loose even with blue loctite. I went to a local shop to buy new modules to replace. I was told that the shop had to mount the modules for liability reasons.

When I picked up the bow, the new modules were on set to 29" DL. I showed the tech the problem and told him I will take the bow home and fix it right. He had charged me $10 labor to put the modules on wrong. At Vegas this year, I told Pete Shepley what happened and he said next time call PSE directly and they will send me the parts or find me a decent shop.

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Too bad you got ripped off, you could have invested in an E Z Green bow press for $380 delivered and been set for life, you can buy used bows for less than 1/2 price and set them up for free!
Hell why not go one step further and buy a $200 welder and make your own press?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 38 Posts