Archery Talk Forum banner

I had totally forgotten just how accurate aluminums are!

4594 Views 64 Replies 41 Participants Last post by  kjwhfsd
I was out yesterday at our local range, trying different arrow combinations with my 3-d bow. I have been shooting carbon shafts for years, mainly for weight reasons. I had my Maxima's and my CXL2's, and I was alternating each shaft between 75 and 100 grains in the point, playing with groups at 50 yards. Just for grins, I had some old 2213 X7 Eclipses with me with 90 grain FliteMate points in them. I started playing with these at 50 yards, and my groups INSTANTLY dropped from about 4 to 5" to about 2 to 4". I was getting a tiny bit of wobble from my carbons down range, but the 2213 X7's were leaving the bow so straight, they looked like perfect bright green balls flying through the air, and sinking right up next to each other. I was shooting at an old pack of cigarettes someone left on the 50 bale, and a couple groups left 6 for 6 aluminums in the pack. Wow, I had forgotten how well the aluminums shoot. I just wish they weren't so heavy. :cry:

If you've not used aluminums in years, go grab some of your old ones, and head to the range. You might be suprized. :wink:

Todd
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

· Bowhemian
8,311 Posts
Oh, and they are $75 per dz shafts, vs $130. :eek: Not as tough, but I can buy twice as many. :wink:
I've been shooting XX75s (Platinum Plus) for years and they take a hell of a beating. $45 a dozen for shafts (from Lancaster). Excellent arrows.

· Tooth, Fang, Claw
6,284 Posts
Those were my smokes!! :eek:

· Registered
2,656 Posts
Aluminums cannot be beat for accuracy, only in weight savings. Durability of light carbon arrows is questionable IMO.

· Banned
594 Posts
Hey Toddman, I guess you oughta switch back, eh? I have a dozen Easton Maxum Quattro's w/ 5" feathers on the way from Big Tom as we speak.

Can't wait to get them and my bow back and get shooting.

· Registered
8,684 Posts
I was out yesterday at our local range, trying different arrow combinations with my 3-d bow. I have been shooting carbon shafts for years, mainly for weight reasons. I had my Maxima's and my CXL2's, and I was alternating each shaft between 75 and 100 grains in the point, playing with groups at 50 yards. Just for grins, I had some old 2213 X7 Eclipses with me with 90 grain FliteMate points in them. I started playing with these at 50 yards, and my groups INSTANTLY dropped from about 4 to 5" to about 2 to 4". I was getting a tiny bit of wobble from my carbons down range, but the 2213 X7's were leaving the bow so straight, they looked like perfect bright green balls flying through the air, and sinking right up next to each other. I was shooting at an old pack of cigarettes someone left on the 50 bale, and a couple groups left 6 for 6 aluminums in the pack. Wow, I had forgotten how well the aluminums shoot. I just wish they weren't so heavy. :cry:

If you've not used aluminums in years, go grab some of your old ones, and head to the range. You might be suprized. :wink:

Todd
seems like the lighter and the faster the arrow is the more the bow will jump on the shot. heavier arrow= more energy transfered into the arrow = less bow jump = more accuracy.

light arrow just the opposite. :rolleyes:

· Registered
6,795 Posts
Also the lighter arrow will cover more distance during recovery, resulting in poorer flight, especially with broadheads. In other words, the faster the arrow the more air the broadhead will plane before it finishes recovering.

· Registered
288 Posts
I was away from archery all summer & finally got back Friday past!
Shot maybe 30-40 arrows (XX78's) the whole evening just to get the feel of it once again. It had to happen... I drilled one into another... a glancing blow but now I am short 1 arrow :BangHead::BangHead: Must remind myself to shoot 3 spot

· Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm not sure that the speed of the arrow is really having an effect in my case. I only shoot my carbons at about 276 fps, and I cranked my bow up to around 271 fps for the X7's. It's just a bit more poundage than I am used to, but I may just have to get used to the poundage again, since these do fly so darn well.

· Registered
1,909 Posts
I still

shoot aluminums. Got a good deal on some xx78 2514 arrows. Cut them to 28 inches. They were fletched with 5 inch vanes. Got 2 dozen for 60 dollars:eek:.

· Registered
1,043 Posts
Dont the aluminums bend after hitting the target repeatedly though? They dont retain their straightness nearly as long do they?

· Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Dont the aluminums bend after hitting the target repeatedly though? They dont retain their straightness nearly as long do they?

Dont know. It stands to reason that they might, but the x-7's are very "springy". These old ones I am shooting are at the very least 7 years old, and outshoot my new maximas. The maximas are the strongest, most consistent all -carbon shafts I know of.

· Registered
1,043 Posts
I love aluminums but I had to switch due to my aluminums not staying straight. After a month of shooting i could see noticible bends in the arrows once i started shooting higher poundages and faster compounds. If there is a strong aluminum arrow out there that can take 75 pounds of pull with a 29 in draw please let me know bro's

· Registered
1,769 Posts

Todd

Were you shooting your Monster Bow?

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.