Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
11,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the bumper crop is falling from the skies, my land and the surrounding area is about 90-75% oak, needless to say the deer pattern has blown up. Hopefully they will eat them up and be sick of them before the opener in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
28,183 Posts
Well the bumper crop is falling from the skies, my land and the surrounding area is about 90-75% oak, needless to say the deer pattern has blown up. Hopefully they will eat them up and be sick of them before the opener in a couple of weeks.
Don't fight it. Find the white oaks, find the deer.

·
shhhh.. slow down
9,409 Posts
WIshful thinking. Time to break out the C'mere deer.

·
Banned
11,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh I have white oaks, and so does everyone else. With the opener close the feeding program has stopped, they still come in to drink water oh well wait it out.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
buy some bb squared

·
13,799 Posts
We had the most acorns I have ever saw last year and it really made the hunting hard....the deer didn't have to travel very far to get everthing the needed. Thankfully this year is the exact opposite hardly an acorns I am pumped for the first day here in Ohio.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
this year is a huge beech nut crop in ny and ct

·
TreeRatNation Lead Rat
6,828 Posts
I have found that the deer will single out a certain area/tree and visit it until it is basicly eatin up. They browse to others but seems they always have a favot=rite spot to feed at.. It will have a ton of cracked hulls and lots of droppings in the area . Thats what I try to key on when bummper acorn crops hit.Good luck and get ready for a baner 2012 season !!! Lots of bucks seem to survive the acorn crop years.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
My hunting property is loaded with white oaks. Acorns are everywhere. I got looking around the other day and just had to shake my head. I think a little early season still hunting is in my immediate future. I know exactly where they'll be come November, so I can afford to play a bit until then. Might learn a bit and get lucky in the process.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
We had the most acorns I have ever saw last year and it really made the hunting hard....the deer didn't have to travel very far to get everthing the needed. Thankfully this year is the exact opposite hardly an acorns I am pumped for the first day here in Ohio.
Yep, was the same way here in central ohio, this year there arent much if any acorns.... anxious to see if patterns are easier to follow this year.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I have white oaks falling and tons of Beechnuts on the ground. The wild cherries are getting ready and red oaks will be falling. Seems early for acorns with the good moisture we had this year. With all the food around deer do not have to go far.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
We had a bumper crop here in PA last year, the hunting behind my place was never better! Saw more deer last year than I ever have.

·
Registered
10,513 Posts
Can make it tougher for sure. One thing I do that helps is fertilize certain trees that I want to hunt near in late winter/early spring. A little 13-13-13 or something similar out by the drip line will give those trees better acorns, which should translate into more deer under them. Not that this helps you this season...

·
Registered
935 Posts
YES!...find the white oaks, find the acorns, find the deer, KILL THE DEER!
Never fails that there will be some moron here in WI out on the edge of a bean field when there are millions of pieces of "candy" all over the forest floor

·
wannabtradguy
15,322 Posts
if you'll put some fertilizer around your oaks every couple years (not too much) the deer will come to yours first. that will make them taste sweeter

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
I have found that the deer will single out a certain area/tree and visit it until it is basically eatin up. They browse to others but seems they always have a favot=rite spot to feed at.. It will have a ton of cracked hulls and lots of droppings in the area . Thats what I try to key on when bummper acorn crops hit.Good luck and get ready for a baner 2012 season !!! Lots of bucks seem to survive the acorn crop years.
This has been my experience as well. There will be several oaks that are getting hit hard and the others will go uneaten until the hot spots are cleaned out.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Go with the flow and hunt white oaks you will be rewarded

1 - 20 of 26 Posts