Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get it once a year for a day or two...don't know why but I just seem to never go a year without it. Last year I had it one day and it didn't hurt anything. This year is a different story. Missed the target and killed the shed.

Nice arrow...

Result of two panic shots...

Downstairs to get another arrow to make it worth my trips to the bag and worked through it. Just wanted to vent a little...usually I'm shooting in an area that allows me the margin of error but I was in my back yard shooting at the shed. Both were massive arm movements to the lower right. Shot another dozen arrows and flinched once and caught it and let down. Still expensive, isn't it amazing that if they would have been robinhoods I'd have been happy to lost the arrows.:rolleyes: Should have quit after the first.

Josh

·
Registered
971 Posts
See a good coach there are many causes for most problems like yours and most are form or equipment related what you call TP is only a symptom, you need to find a qualified coach familiar with diagnostics and retraining principals
Cheers:)
Peter

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting

I didn't think about the equipment part of it but if your worried about some of you're equipment then you might not be concentrating on the shot fully.

I have been kicking around the idea of getting a new release since my last one is around 10 years old and has at least 18k shots on it. I have noticed the trigger is getting harder to pull and that I hadn't noticed the trigger tension set screw was not properly set. I changed the setting on the tension and it still seemed hard to pull. I just decided that I needed to opt for a new design and went with the new cobra Mamba R2 C-570. I looked at all of the different designs and decided to go with the Cobra since it seemed to have the quickest release. The longer I hold the worse I seem to shoot so this seemed the way to go. I did like the Scott Little Goose but the tension on the trigger was too much. One thing about the Cobra that I liked was the amazing amount of adjustment to the distance the trigger is away from your wrist. The body of the release is on the end of an adjustment screw that has over 1-1/2" of adjustment and a locking screw to hold it in place. Nice!! I also liked the curved trigger, seamed to fit my finger more naturally.

Josh

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
In my experience it is not equipment related many times. IF your draw is way off, or the draw weight too much, it can exasperate an issue. However, it is 90% between the ears. My opinion.

As mentioned there are many reasons..

As an example: For weeks I have been slowly improving since going to a BT. I was shooting about 290’s/300.. 5 spot, But this last wed… OH my… 2 zero’s and a 278… Why?

I just could not get into the shooting… jerked a few.. Could not hold steady.. The equipment has not changed.. so it must be the stuff stuck between my ears…

Glad to hear you worked through it..

·
Registered
9,474 Posts
I never had TP too bad but had times where I would flinch, My solution was too get a much heavier trigger with no travel so I am pulling the whole time. Get the Michael Braden dvd it has helped me for sure. I can finally just aim and my shot goes off without warning. Great feeling.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree with the mental aspect

I did buy a new release and it has a lot more in the way of adjustment. I did also shoot very well tonight...it's funny last night I couldn't shoot for anything and tonight I was slapping arrows.

The new Cobra release is nice in that I can adjust the distance away from my wrist the calipers are and the trigger is curved and seems to be easier to pull.

But like some of you have said it's mental. I can shoot 3" groups at 30 yards all day and other days I can't group for crap.

It was nice to shoot well tonight, I hate getting my nerves rattled this close to hunting season.

Josh

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
I totally eliminated the TP I had with a Scott Mongoose (shooting with your index finger) by getting a Carter's Chocolate Addiction with a thumb trigger. I can no longer "punch" the trigger with my thumb like I was with the other release. At least it has worked for me.

TEXAS

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Archery has always been an interesting thing for me, you can have a nearly infinite number of opinions out there and all of them may be correct in specific cases. In my experience there are few sports where this is true, usually there are "Truths" and "other that doesn't work" - in archery the only "Truth" is that as long as you do the same thing every time you will win (a truth - small "t" - is that some things are much easier or more likely than others).

The problem with this is that one can find pretty much any opinion out there one wants. When asking questions you need to think - are you looking for confirmation of what you want to do, what answer is true for most people, or something else? If you just want confirmation - you can get it, I wouldn't even bother asking the question. Still, for lots of people this actually works - especially in the case of mental issues, the confidence fixes the issue.

The hardest answer is the one that is true 99%+ of the time (it is usually the one with the most work and time involved). It is also usually the answer you want the least.

In my experience with target panic the only fix is bank bailing to break the habit then shooting really short distances and slowly moving back. This has to be followed closely - no cheating. If you spent the last two weeks blank bailing and decide to see "Is this working?" by shooting at 20 yards you just undid two weeks worth of work. It's hard, it takes mental discipline (something which I am lacking) to do so. It takes also believe in it, over time I really came to understand this though I can not say I follow it well.

In the end, 99% of the time it is mental. It can be a physical issue - too much weight, bow way off tune, and a few other things. Given that these are easy to test I would do so first - nothing to loose. After that it takes a good deal of discipline. I look at it this way - learning that amount of focus *really* has helped in other aspects of my life. Archery has been one of the better things I have learned - the discipline to shoot a surprise release carried over to many other areas.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts