Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sorry for the rant here guys, but i needed to vent for a second.

last week i took my vacation from work to get ready for and attend the florida bowhunters jamboree over the labor day weekend. i was out of town for almost a week and a half.

out behind my house ther is approx 20 acres of woods that is backed up to a big pasture and on the other side of the pasture is a new subdivision. i have a 6 target 3-d range and a 70 yard range to practice on my bag target set up in these woods. i walked out yesterday afternoon to practice with my hunting bow for the first time in almost 2 weeks and find that all of my targets have been stolen. all my 3-d targets and my bag targets are gone now.

so i walk back to the house and tell the wife and as i am standing on my front porch i see taillights out in the woods where my range once was. i then snuck out through the woods and find an older model blue chevy blazer sitting right in front of the frame that my bag target hangs on. i get within 20 feet of the guy and he see's me and takes off out of there like a rocket ship, luckilly, or so i thought, i got the license plate number and wrote it down and called the locall sherrifs office.
they come out and do a report on the stolen items and check out my range and then they ran the license plate number only to inform me that it is a stolen plate and is registered to a lincoln towncar from a county 200 miles south of here.
i thought i had it figured out when i got the plate number but now we have no clue who took my stuff, man this sucks.

the harder you work to try to have nice stuff, the harder someone else works to try to take it from you. now i dont even have a target to practice on till i get to the store in the morning and buy me another bag target.:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

·
In 'Da Head
24,266 Posts
Tracy sorry to hear this, but it seems to me the individual must live around there. If he knew what was there and made a return trip back, he possibly lives around the area and knows the value of that stuff. I think with a little sleuthing you may catch up to him. Also if he has a stolen plate, then the hammer will come down even harder on him...good luck to you and again sorry to hear about this. It is too bad you didn't have your bow with you when you saw him...self defense.

·
Registered
235 Posts
sorry to hear about that, i had moved into a new house and not even 2 weeks later i got broke into and they stole all kinds of stuff. it's sad when you have a set up or some nice stuff and there are those jerks that ruin everything. hopefully they catch them.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
tracy...

get yourself some of those IR game cameras and use em as a security system. you may be able to write it off on the insurance.

mount em high in the trees. heck, if you want to, use some of the cheap film cameras as bait and have the good ones pointing down at them from another tree. have a few so you cover most every angle and get that clown's face.

once he's caught and prosecuted, (he'll claim persecution) put his pic up on the net as a criminal trespasser.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Some crack head is trying to pawn off your targets, look at the pawn shop/cragslist. LOCK YOUR HOME they know your a sports man and you have more stuff. There are a lot of drug users that will do bad things. If they come in to your home to do bad things. Blow them back out. Do you have a CCW? I don't mean to sound harsh but I have had my house robbed.:mad:

·
Registered
222 Posts
Thief

Just as a reminder: Write down every serial number on items that you have. As a detective that works property crimes, I've been very lucky finding stuff in pawn shops when the owner had the serial number written down. Also, alot of people don't realize it, but the boxes usually have the serial number on it somewhere, and these usually get thrown in the attic or garage, usually to store photos. You can't realize how many times I've been able to recover stuff because I ask about the box, and they say, oh yeah, its in the garage, let me get the number.

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
They are in every sport....Unfortunately......

If you participate in multi-day tournaments....be careful..... they lurk there to see who has what they want.....then wait till you leave and follow you and watch to see where you stay and if you take your equipment out of your vehicle.....or....
In a very sad case a few years ago in San Antonio, Tx. at the National Sporting Clay tournament....the theives heard everyone was going out to supper before going back to the hotel and followed all of them.....you guessed it....they broke into several vehicles in the restaurant parking lot and got away with thousands of dollars in shotguns....

Be careful of what you say too in archery shops, sporting goods stores etc... you never know who is listening.......

"PREGO"...It's in There!!!...sometimes
:cry:

·
Registered
725 Posts
Crime

One of the reasons I moved out of Florida. In less than 5 years of living there, my house was broken into, my car was broken into and they stole my wallet, then they stole my car. My house was in a nice subdivision and well lit, there was a street light right next to my driveway. There were other reasons for moving, but this weighed into it very heavily.

Sorry to hear of your loss, I hope they catch the scumbags.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Man that sucks! I couldnt take it I would be layin in wait for those suckers! Thieves are the worst kind. I worked for everything I have, Lazy people just think they can take it. I say we hang them all.

·
Registered
34,166 Posts
Mikesheating said:
Some crack head is trying to pawn off your targets, look at the pawn shop/cragslist. LOCK YOUR HOME they know your a sports man and you have more stuff. There are a lot of drug users that will do bad things. If they come in to your home to do bad things. Blow them back out. Do you have a CCW? I don't mean to sound harsh but I have had my house robbed.:mad:

No crack head is gonna steal a bunch of targets. Someone that shoots just got some new targets and I bet it was someone in t he neighborhood behind you.

·
Registered
213 Posts
ttripp, I feel your pain, last week I left my 2006 F150 super crew unlocked in front of my house Big Mistake some scumbag took the kids dvd system off the headrests they must have gotten innterupted as they only got half the system!

Really mad at myself the most for forgeting to lockup, the thief second, what hurts the most is this dvd system wasn't for me it was for the kids to enjoy:mad:

A word of advice that red blinking light on the dash lets everyone know your vehicle is locked when it's blinking, but also let's every thief in the area know your trucks unlocked when it's not!!!!!!!!!!

I hope you can recover your stuff but like me we will probably never see it again:mad:

·
Registered
762 Posts
Thief

Feel you pain brother, I put theives in the same catagory as vandals. Hope they all get the kidney stone I had two years ago, on an annual basis. Hope you recover your items. I can't.

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
medved said:
Leaving bottles of poisoned wine around can cut down on burglary problems.
So will having 220 hooked up to that metal frame the the bag hangs from.

Man that reall stinks, I hope you can recover your stuff. I have been lucky so far but it is getting to the point around here that I need to be more carefull. Had the gas tank and fuel line to my boat stolen sometime this winter after duck season.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
You are not going to like this, but

thieves are opportunist.

If it is not there, they can not steal it.

If it is there and they can see it, they will steal it if there's no one there to stop them.

This is nothing new, but it has to be said.

It's easier than finding the stolen items.

Truely, I'm sorry for your loss.

Sounds like you had it set up real nice.

Bad guys are everywhere and if the opportunaty presents itself and no one is watching, they will take advantage of the situation.:wink:

·
Registered
271 Posts
TTripp, you should of shot the tire out from the truck with the bow, if the truck was on your property which it sounds like.:cool: :ninja: I can see a criminal a mile away, and have caught many thieves, vandals, and tresspassers out where I am, not to mention a bunch of poachers( I really hate them:mad::fuming: ). I have done more work out here than the sheriff office, and all of that was because of my investigative and stubborn nature. I really hope you find your stolen targets, but I guess you will have to bring them in when you are done shooting. Sucks, and a pain I am sure, but its better safe than sorry.:)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts