Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I hang a stand I use climbing sticks, then remove the bottom half and hide it. I go to my stand last afternoon, excited and confident, only to find that someone had stolen the upper half of my climbing sticks, but not my treestand. Why go to the effort of shinnying up a tree, then not taking the stand. I guess I should count myself lucky that the thief didn't take the stand. I talked to the forester who manages the timber on the property and he told me he bought land somewhere else because he was sick of the hastle hunting there.

Just one of many of the unfortunate theft stories you may hear here this hunting season.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
I Know the feeling................

Opening day two years ago, I walked into my stand an hour before daylight. I had to look for almost a half hour trying to find my spot, because I couldn't find my stand. When I finally realized that my stand was GONE. I was livid. someone had stole my stand, steps, and bow hanger and rope.

I used the Chipewa big Brute stand, and climbing steps. They are not cheap. All this happened on PRIVATE land.......Sickening for sure.

Walleye REv................

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I use inexpensive stands and sticks for this very reason, but it's still frustrating.

·
Registered
15,276 Posts
My partner and I went to move one of my ladder stands last Monday.
We got that stand down and decided to go down by the creek to look across and check another stand that has been there for about 6 years.
Well, pretty sure it is gone.
We did not have time to go around and make sure and the creek was high from all the rain so we didn't walk over there to confirm but niether of us could see it in the tree it was in.

·
Premium Member
17,587 Posts
Sickening feeling..........

This happened to me a few years back. I followed my Bright Eyes trail in the dark right to my tree to look up and find no treestand. I use Skyhook steps that are removable and the only thing left was the bolts for the steps. They took the stand, chain, and padlock. The landowner told me about a father/son couple that he had seen trespassing so I confronted them on their doorstep of their trailer later that morning. (that took some detective work to find them). You should have seen the look on the teenagers face when I showed up! Thought he was going to mess himself! I had no real proof however and I knew that so I just wanted to let them know that I knew they had done it. The kid said 'they only use homemade stands that they build from wood on site'. So I asked if the pickup parked in front was theirs and he said yes. I asked who else had their stands stolen by them because their were 2 manufactered aluminum stands in the back of it. After that he looked REAL sheepish and clammed up.

About 3 years ago a coworker told me about his buddy that had his stand stolen too but he had camtracker photos of the 2 kids that stole the stand. The photos showed the kids walking by with the stand on their back and one angle even showed one kid as he was up the tree trying to remove the stand. (The guy had 2 cameras set). Those kids did get caught and the police were called. The guy got his stands back too.

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
A twist to this thread...

I am not saying you are in the wrong, but I have confiscated not stolen, tons of stands from properties that people are not supposed to be on. Especially my mom and dads place. I love it when people come and ask for them back. :chortle: are you serious? Then they get all upset, and threaten to call the law. Here let me do that for you. My uncle will be right out! :D :mg:

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Private, public or otherwise, if you don't want your stands, blinds, etc. stolen then taking them with you is the ONLY answer. :thumb: Claymores, 24 hour guards and snares are unreasonable applications....irreguardless of how much we wished we could use them. :rant:

If it's portable, port it! :) I've never had a stand/blind stolen, because it was on my back or I was in it.

The time it takes to set up and take down is well worth the frustration of theft. :frusty: It sucks, especially for those that own their own land, but this is the way of the world. "Murphy's Law: If it can be stolen, it will be stolen."

I don't leave stands/blinds for these reasons:
* I don't want them stolen.
* I can't afford to supply others with stands.
* The weather fades and corrodes stand materials.
* Critters chew on belts, seats, etc.
* I don't want others to know that I'm hunting that area.

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
This is why I use a climber 100% of the time now. I just have trees picked out that I use with lanes cleared, and take the stand in and out with me each time I hunt. I spent quite a bit of $$ getting the perfect setup, light (17lbs), quiet, and all day comfy, but I really prefer hunting this way. I also don't like people to know where I hunt, no sense giving all your hard work away. Another thing, if people don't know where you are hunting, it keeps trespassers off guard.

·
Classifieds Administrator
39,203 Posts
Sorry to hear this, treestand thieves are nothing but scumbags, sounds like this guy possibly was going to come back and get the stand, maybe he could not take it all in one trip, he needed tools! I hate people that steal, just go buy one yourself, how can you feel good sitting in a stolen stand?

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
AdvanTimberLou said:
I hate people that steal, just go buy one yourself, how can you feel good sitting in a stolen stand?
I usually feel pretty good sitting in someone elses stand on my property! :D

·
Registered
603 Posts
Supershark said:
I am not saying you are in the wrong, but I have confiscated not stolen, tons of stands from properties that people are not supposed to be on. Especially my mom and dads place. I love it when people come and ask for them back. :chortle: are you serious? Then they get all upset, and threaten to call the law. Here let me do that for you. My uncle will be right out! :D :mg:
Just what do you do with these "confiscated" stands? It appears that the hunters were trespassing and you were stealing.

3L

·
Registered
146 Posts
Where we hunt down here it is private property. We are the only ones allowed to hunt there, or be in there for that matter. Stuff stolen to date: two treestands (left up a tree with no steps and locked), feeder, and a game cam.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I'm w/ ya'.....years ago I moved to API tree steps.....you put a lag screw into the tree and the step is slipped onto the tree each time you go hunting and removed when you leave (I can't find this step any longer, didn't bass pro buy API, but Bass Pro doesn't have this step).....my stands are all screaming eagle stands w/ padlocks.....it's a shame that these are the precautions needed to hunt. Since moving to this system 10 years ago I've eliminated people from hunting out of my setup and "no" (nock on wood) stolen gear.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Had a set up climbing sticks stolen in the middle of 450 acres piece of private land, but they left the stand. Too cheap of a stand I guess. That is why I use the cheapest climbing sticks and strap on stands. I have about $70 in each setup and if someone takes them I won't be out too much. Lord help me if I catch them though. Nothing makes me more upset than having something stolen.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Not stealing

3L_Archer said:
Just what do you do with these "confiscated" stands? It appears that the hunters were trespassing and you were stealing.

3L

If the stands were on his property he is not stealing.

·
Premium Member
17,587 Posts
Kipsbay said:
I'm w/ ya'.....years ago I moved to API tree steps.....you put a lag screw into the tree and the step is slipped onto the tree each time you go hunting and removed when you leave (I can't find this step any longer, didn't bass pro buy API, but Bass Pro doesn't have this step).....my stands are all screaming eagle stands w/ padlocks.....it's a shame that these are the precautions needed to hunt. Since moving to this system 10 years ago I've eliminated people from hunting out of my setup and "no" (nock on wood) stolen gear.
I think they are now called Skyhook steps(?) I found them at Cabela's last week. They are molded aluminum steps and I have the solid and the folding type both.

Rx

·
Registered
17,328 Posts
It should be legal to just shoot the dirt bags that would steal our stands by sneaking on to private property and taking what's ours! :mad: Wouldn't it be great to actually catch a loser stealing your stand and just shoot, shovel and shut-up! :wink:

·
Take a BITE out of Crime!
2,223 Posts
3L Archer

Taking stands left on your property is not stealing. The person that left it there was trespassing and leaving items on your property without permission is illegal dumping. You are just picking up someones garbage!! If you can use it then hey why not?

·
Registered
17,328 Posts
Oh you can bet if some idiot had the balls to sneak onto my property and then leave his stands.... he certainly wouldn't be getting them back! I can't believe that anyone on this forum would reason that as stealing when you're removing stands that some piece of trash set up on YOU! :eek: :mad::confused:

1 - 20 of 63 Posts