Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a press, and my 09 Z28. I have zero bow tuning experience. Should I just leave this to the professionals and pay to have it done or is it something I can do myself?

Its a twin cam bow, so I dont know about tuning and so forth. HELP!!! lol.

Thanks

Gary

· Registered
1,926 Posts
It is easy to swap the strings, tuning afterward is where the difficulty is. I have a Z28 as well and would be happy to walk you through the process. You will need a draw board (you can make one pretty cheap - check the DIY forum), or at the very least, a hook in the ceiling. Feel free to PM me and we can get in touch. You can pay to have it done, but it is much more rewarding to learn how to do it yourself. In addition, you will gain the knowledge to tinker and fix things for yourself. If you can get through the process of swapping strings, you will never need to pay to set up a new bow again.

· Registered
507 Posts
It's easy. But in addition to the press you will need a drawboard as well (easily built-do a search and you can find ton's of examples). Then just press the bow and change one string at a time so you don't get the routing mixed up. Maybe take some digital photo's just in case.

Finally you will need the drawboard to check the timing. It shouldn't be to far off if at all but the bow won't shoot good unless it is timed.

Depending on how far you wan't to go you could also bring the bow into specifications.

Good Luck, It's easy

Mason

· Registered
4,736 Posts
If I just learned how to do it, anyone can! I just changed my strings myself for the first time on Monday, and have just now got the tuning kinks worked out, but its doable. Just go slow, write down a lot of #'s, A2A, BH, Tiller, and I marked my cams at the limbs with a white pencil. I also took pics of both sides of both cams, and my cable routing. Ive been on here getting help for 2 days working out some lean, and timing, but Ive got it shooting good now.

· Registered
73 Posts
Its Not as overwhelming as it seems at first. My advice is to have someone that is experienced enough to help you out and who you the ropes.You will not regret learning to do these things yourself...

The tuning it the key and every bow tunes differently these days .Thats where talking with Guys that are familiar with your rig helps out.,. At first it seems overwhelming but you will learn that its not that hard and actually pretty Interesting.

I am still pissed because I cant afford the press I need to do My own destroyer work..

· Registered
2,565 Posts
Jump in and be ready to be addicted. Archery is a lot like crack....once you start you will quickly be tuning, building arrows, and making strings. Doing your own work will make you an MUCH better archer. You do have one obligation when you start this process. Find another recruit and spread the archery virus.
Welcome aboard.

· Registered
2,704 Posts
yea if you have any bit of mechanical aptitude you'll be fine get the current specs by measuring them also consult mfg.s specs don't overlook things like peep and dropaway location you'll have to fine tune them later but a measurement will get you real close take a few pics go slow and it'll work out better than most shops I've been to will do no one cares more about your setup than you

· World & National Champion
34,042 Posts
Just take is slow and do one at a time. Taking pics helps too just in case you get mixed up. That bow is one of the easier to change strings out on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.