Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems lately,for the past couple of months since indoor has started,im finding myself shooting more and more to the left.
Ive been moving my sight so much that ive run out of micro adjustment.
My bow is tuned really good,and is shooting shooting really nice.
Im pretty sure this is a form flaw,i just dont know what to do at this point!!!

My setup is as follows...
2011 Hoyt Contender Elite
#4 GTX cam
28" draw
51#
Sure-loc sight
true spot dual lens system,7x
Limb Driver rest

Any and all help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Jim

·
Anti Fanboy
42,158 Posts
You should not have to be moving your sights over like that. My initial thoughts are that its something to do with your bow. Sounds like your rest has been bumped out of whack.

Have you checked for any cam lean on your bow at full draw?

Bow shooting bullet holes?

Is there any chance that your dl may be a tad too long? That will stretch you out more and cause that as well, if your a right hand shooter.

·
Anti Fanboy
42,158 Posts
I also was gonna say that I've heard of that happening with bows when a small crack developed in a limb. But being its a Hoyt I kind of doubt that.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
I had this happen once but my arrows just kept getting lower and lower and lower...

It was my rest...and it wasn't moving much but the arrows were really really low. I too ran out of adjustment but it was going down....and my arrows still flew really well so it was odd.

·
Registered
50,358 Posts
Sounds like some form of target panic. Could be a number of things. Bow being the least from your description. Could be your hand position on the grip, could be how your planting your feet, could be your not following threw. With out being there it is total speculation with nothing concrete to offer. You really need some hands on.

·
Premium Member
4,970 Posts
I don't think it's target panic - that's something I profess to know a little bit about. Fact is, same thing happened to me. I just quit for the day, thought about it, and came out the next time with the resolve to be very deliberate, best form, etc. Spot on. Some days you've just gotta admit the archery gods aren't with you.

·
Anti Fanboy
42,158 Posts
I don't think it's target panic - that's something I profess to know a little bit about. Fact is, same thing happened to me. I just quit for the day, thought about it, and came out the next time with the resolve to be very deliberate, best form, etc. Spot on. Some days you've just gotta admit the archery gods aren't with you.
Yeah but to nearly max out a sight? I think its a tad more to it than that, eh?

·
Premium Member
4,970 Posts
Well, that's where mine is. I admit that I wish it weren't quite so far out on one end, but it is what it is.

Having said that, there are adjustments you can normally make to the way a sight is attached to the bow that should make it less severe, if that's really important to you.

·
Comp Target/ Gear mod
5,858 Posts
What are you doing to ensure that the bow is tuned well?
2nd, just be sure everything is tight (sight, rest etc) measure your bow specs to be sure something isn't out of whack. (ATA, brace, poundage). A hidden broken strand could be enough to mess with your form.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you very much everyone,ill be checking everything out in the near future!!!
Anymore suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!
Jim

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Be very aware of grip each and every shot. Make sure that you are not doing something differently or inducing some type of torque.

·
Registered
919 Posts
You could try using a true shot coach. That will help eliminate a grip issue.

·
Registered
13,750 Posts
have someone else check you bow and have them shot it, if its the bow it will do the same for them,,, but i would believe it is you changing something...

·
One Shot
9,181 Posts
If it's not your dl or grip, I'd look at the rest, the yoke tune, and the 2nd axis on your scope. Lighting changes indoors can also affect my left/right setting. My buddy bumped his scope a few weeks ago and ran out of windage adjustment, fixed it by resetting the 2nd axis.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Have you shot the bow thruogh paper since you've had to move your sight all the way out? Usually when a right handed shooter's bow is nocked on the string you can hold the bow with one hand and without drawing back and looking from the string toward the riser you should line your arrow up with your string and your pins should line up also or be just left of center. Also when you're shooting concentrate on holding the pin on the target until your arrow makes contact.

·
Registered
50,358 Posts
Another thought maybe out there but do you wear new glasses with progressive bifocals lately? If so I have seen what you describe being a problem a few times. If this is the case try shooting without the glasses and see if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update,
i had leauges tonight,before i did,i shot my bow through paper,2 perfect bullet holes.
But of course when i shot tonight,it was really bad.
Here is a question,
When using a a scope what power are you guys using?
Im using a 7X,True Spot Scope Dual lens,maybe it might be too much for spots.
I used to use 6X 1/4" grind.
Just another idea to think about.
Later!!!

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Ive seen it many times and it was always Draw Leanght issues. If you open your stance too much fatigue will make your shots go farther and farther to the left. This is a common problem with competive recurve shooters and can be solved by lowering the poundage or increaseing the draw leanght a little and closeing your stance. Trust me I know what Im talking about cause it happens almost every time I get a new bow..................

1 - 20 of 46 Posts