Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
4,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Field Archery Bug that is!!!!

HOLY COW is this FIELD ARCHERY thing fun and addicting!

I am (was) a DIE HARD 3D shooter and gladly accepted an invitation to shoot a Field League this summer. Now I can't get it out of my head!!!! Although I am still shooting 3D tournies this Field thing has me thinking I might be shooting these tournies now too! Where do you people find the time?

How many other converts are out there?

G

·
TAPPER...

...put down the bong and back away from the computer...give yourself some time to "come down" before you put something like that up heeere:D ...

· Registered
4,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Deere-

I can FEEL the love brother!!! :D

Seriously though.......don't knock it till you tried it. I honestly didn't think I would like it at all, and even thought It would probably put me to sleep. In reality I am having a blast!!!

· Registered
450 Posts
hey tapper,
i'm going to give it try at the badger state games this year for the first time, also. i've been shooting some 40-50-60 yd at the club with a couple 3-d buddies that are also going to go, but i can't convince them to go for the yardage, they're going to shoot the 3-d.

· CottonHeadedNinnyMuggins
1,269 Posts
Field archery is a blast! I schedule all other shoots around the few Field shoots we have here in Iowa.

Another fun shoot is an "American Round". It's a 600 or 900 round shot at 40, 50, and 60 yards at the big 122cm fita face. This shoot is fun because there is usually two lines. You can sit back while the other line is shooting and jaw with your friends.

Enjoy!

· Occam's Razor
11,353 Posts
Can't wait.

Local county gun range is putting one in , almost done.........can't wait.......will be a combo field and 3d range...........20 stations.......:) :( :D :cool: ....................ck

· Registered
642 Posts
Tap,

Where are you shooting a field league? I'm up in GB and there are NO field courses around here....YET....

Last summer was my 1st summer shooting Outdoor target after about 6 or so years of 3D'in and I'm hooked. Pretty much lost interest in 3D after last summer.

There's a field shoot in Sheboygan on June 22nd...
Badger State Games June 28th and 29th - Madison....Very fun
WFAA State Field Shoot in Kenosha July 12th and 13th
Tom Holderman shoot in Kenosha August 23rd and 24th

Fun times....LOTS OF ARROWS :D ....not 30 :rolleyes:

· X's R Us
3,458 Posts
Yes I like knowing why i missed. Hard to do when your not sure if it was because of shooting the wrong yardage.

· Registered
6,681 Posts
Hey Tony,

You shooting the field league over at Farmer's? If so, fun course ;);)! I heard Whitetail is putting in a field course as well out your direction.

In addition to the shoots Mau noted:

Jun 7-8 International Round in West Allis (20-65 yds walk-thru on the field course)

Jun 14-15 Great Lakes Sect in Red Key, IN (28 field/14 animal/28 hunter)

Jun 21 (or 22, check your WBH shoot dates) 28 field @ Marshal Bluff (just south of Madison)

Jul 4 14 field / 14 hunter @ Monroe (new course, shotgun start, see WBH for info as well)

Jul 20 (or 19, hate when the memory goes, lol!) 28 field @ Davenport Archers, IA

Just a few other options for you in case you're looking to see other ranges in WI. In particular, Marshal Bluff and Monroe are both great places to shoot.

>>------->

· Registered
8,652 Posts
How Sweet it Is!

Nintey percent of the people who try Field Archery like it. The more people we can get to give it a try, the more Field courses will be available. Wouldn't it be great if Field returned to the haydays that used to be? People up here are dropping or cutting back on 3-D to go to the Field shoots. It is a blast to walk a field course, shoot 112 arrows and never have to guess the yardage.
Jbird

· Registered
362 Posts
Hey TAP!

I knew if I worked on you long enough you'd come over to the dark side. Looks like all those subliminal messages I was giving you during winter league paid off!

Now if we could just set up a course to shoot FITA field, then you could get your yardage estimation fix and spot shooting all in one place!

Paradox

· Registered
2,764 Posts
TAP;

"I honestly didn't think I would like it at all, and even thought It would probably put me to sleep."

Field is great, more arrows than 3-D at longer distances. When you shoot a Field tourney, you really get a feeling that you spent the day"shooting" - rather than that you took a little break and shot your bow a little. It the difference between playing 36 holes at a PGA rated course and playing at a local 9-hole course.

If you liked NFAA style field wait till you try unmarked FITA field, as a 3-D guy you might really get a kick out of it. Field is always best on those uneven courses that only let you have a few targets that are level - the rest of the time you are bending and and trying to figure out how to keep some kind of normal form. I am still amazed looking at picks of the European Field tourney's where they are shooting off cliffs, or at exteme angles up hills.

-CG

· Registered
450 Posts
j bird.
it would surely be great to see it come back, especially around here where i live.i love any type of spot shooting and i know i'm going to get hooked, because i'm already hooked on practice at the club. my club is one of the oldest in the state,having formed in 1951 and in it's hey day had a few guys that were state and national caliber shooters, field was THE type of shooting that the club started on. as i understand we had a couple state and national shoots here. last year a few of the "older"( guys that were around when field was popular here) members and myself tried to get a field league started and there seemed to be little intrest, so it never got off the ground. typical of "hunting" oriented membership. if those guys only realised how much it would help thier hunting shooting as well. i think age is allot of the problem, most of the members joined when 3-d was eating up the country and these guy don't even realize people shoot "spots" at longer distances..... they think the bunkers out side at the club are there for getting thier marks for shooting 3-d.......

· Urban Archery
3,813 Posts
It's funny how all these people are 'discovering' field archery. I never shot a 3D till last year despite being in the sport for the last 15 years. Good fun 3D is, but I cant understand those that only shoot it. IFAA is the greatest field game on the planet, if you have not shot it yet get out there and try it out.

BTW I love being able to play 3D, FITA and IFAA, making the time is the hardest bit.

· Registered
203 Posts
NFAA FIELD SHOOT

Hy guys and gals ,,,,,,,do you have the bug to shoot nfaa field????,,,,,, JULY 4th South Central Wisc. Archers of Monroe Wisconsin,,, is having its annual JULY 4th field shoot ,, we have a brand new challenging course ,, lots of ups and downs,,, side hills,,all the things that make a great field course,, its pretty neat ,,, ,,there will be a shot gun start at 9:00,,,,, so you need to be signed in before 9:00,,there will be an assembly to get your target assignment,,then everyone will head out to shoot,,,, there will be 14 nfaa field tagets and 14 nfaa hunter targets,,,,,, our course is located 11 miles northwest of monroe wisc. on highway 81,,range is right next to highway so you cant miss it,,, we have the use of the argle rod and gun clubs awesome club house with all facilities which is located right next too our outdoor range if you have any questions you can call me,,, Bob Ruchti at 608-325 -7278 for more details,,JOIN THE FUN OF A NFAA FIELD ROUND

· Registered
1,859 Posts
Ditto what CG said. After shooting the MO state outdoor last year, 3d just isnt as much fun anymore. I like feeling as though I have actually shot my bow! When I was shooting 3d's a lot, I would often get home and set up my bag so I could get some real SHOOTING done. After a field round - its not necessary.

Sean

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.