Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out back shooting today and everything is going perfectly then suddenly I start getting a "flyer" hitting high and left of the target. I have been shooting at my Rinehart 18-1 all day and behind that I have my YellowJacket bag target in case I miss, well after a while I noticed that one of my arrows starts missing the 18-1. I take into the house and put it on my arrow spinner and WOW! This thing is bent about 5" from the tip of the arrow! It looked like a egg spinning and you can physically see the shaft is bent. How does this happen?

I'm shooting #65 and Goldtip 5575 shafts. Anybody have any ideas why this is happening? It has happened to 3 other arrows also. I get about 7-8" of penetration in the 18-1 target.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Have you tried flexing it at that point to see if it's cracked? If it doesn't snap when flexing then I'm completely at a loss on that one. Never seen or even heard of a carbon going that far out of whack.

·
Registered
19,414 Posts
If his arrows are around 27-28" overall length with 100 grain points he is good on spine.

·
Premium Member
10,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah they are 28" long and I am shooting 100 grain tips. I tried 125 tips also but the 100 seem to fly a little better. According to the arrow chart I need a 400 spine. I was wondering about the spine issue now because of this issue lately.

I just spun another arrow and it's also bent, not as bad but it is there

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Spine really has no bearing on how they could be bending like that. Carbon is supposed to be broke or straight.

·
Premium Member
10,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Spine really has no bearing on how they could be bending like that. Carbon is supposed to be broke or straight.
That's what I thought also. I just flexed it and no cracks or splits, thing is solid all the way threw

·
Registered
20,997 Posts
I've seen one other bent carbon arrow. I believe it was a Carbon Express and was posted in a thread on here a couple months ago. My guess is it's happening when you hit one of the angled edges on the 18-1 target. The angle of the target starts to slow the edge of the arrow and the back end continues on so it "whips" hard when it stops. Just a theory though. Here's that other thread http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=2450062&highlight=bent+carbon+arrow

·
Registered
10,214 Posts
I had a carbon bend 4" from insert after it got stuck in a stall mat behind a worn out target from bending it back and forth to get it out.I thought it was strange and it was not cracked at all,just bent?Different brand of arrows though and 400 cut at 27" with 100g out of 58lbs.

·
Premium Member
10,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hitting the corners of the Rinehart does make sense. I just thought carbon was suspose to be really strong. You guys think spine is the issue here??

·
Making it REIGN
3,794 Posts
Hitting the corners of the Rinehart does make sense. I just thought carbon was suspose to be really strong. You guys think spine is the issue here??
I don't. I'm shooting a 27 1/2 inch arrow out of my 60 pound PSE and there doing just fine. My arrows are Easton carbon bowfire 400. Quite a bit heavier than the goldtis though. I have no clue I'm at a loss. Would be interesting to find out why it happened

·
Registered
20,997 Posts
I don't think the spine is the issue with the bending. Are you a little underspined, probably unless your DL is 27" or under. The momentum is a pretty hard shooting single cam and the arrow charts usually underspine people. I don't know why they haven't updated the charts on the boxes, but most of the charts on the arrow company websites are updated to reflect the higher energy and efficiency bows. If you go to this link and use the chart on the right, for bows with IBO speeds over 315fps, you would need a minimum of a 340 and maybe a 300 if you wanted to shoot a 125gr point.

·
Premium Member
10,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah cause I'm running out of arrows now

·
Den Bow's Custom Arrows
4,725 Posts
1 - 20 of 68 Posts