Archery Talk Forum banner

I Have Seen The Awesome Penetration Potential Of A COC Head

1409 Views 12 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  Bobmuley
I can't believe the difference a COC tip makes:mg: I sure am glad I bought some for my wife; I'll have to take all the standard tip broadheads out of her quiver before she goes hunting again:rolleyes::icon_joker: I did not really think a COC tip would make such a difference, but now I'm sold.:wink::wink::wink::bs: That's got to be at least 1/16'' maybe 2/16'':eek: more penetration.
Asphalt Leaf Tree Adaptation Soil

Now for the details. :bored: Both arrows were shot from my wife's 40# bow. The target was 15 yards away. I used a New layered broadhead target and repeated the "test" :icon_joker:twice with identical results. The heads were the Slick Trick Razor Trick and the Standard 100.

Pen Metal Cutting tool Tool accessory Steel

No a layered broadhead target is not a deer and the penetration of the arrow is stopped by drag against the shaft, but it seems the COC tip should make at least a 1/2'' difference in penetration in the target. Wonder how much difference it would make on a deer?:set1_thinking: I'm not getting rid of the standard heads.:mmph::drama::biggrin1:
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
12,615 Posts
I suspect you will see a major difference on a real animal. COC DO perform significantly better on lighter bows then any other type of head . . . although a good sharp chisel point should work fine as well.

· Registered
1,119 Posts
hard to beat....

those slick trick broadheads ....

Joe Lorenti

· Registered
467 Posts
I would actually expect the COC to fair worse in a layered target more surface area = stopped fasted. But as far as real world performance out of a light bow the COC will outperform the chisel any day.

· My Elk Hunting Home
32,447 Posts
No a layered broadhead target is not a deer and the penetration of the arrow is stopped by drag against the shaft, but it seems the COC tip should make at least a 1/2'' difference in penetration in the target. Wonder how much difference it would make on a deer?
Have your wife shoot a Shuttle T and the ST, and see if there's a bigger difference. At 60 yards, I kept getting a 6" difference between the two.

· Smilin' Bob
25,079 Posts
Since you have a new target...repeat the test with the two arrows above and add a field tip equipped arrow.

Wapitiwayne said:
Thats not a Cut on contact, it is a Gouge on contact.
You're bad. I like it.:D

· Registered
12,517 Posts
No a layered broadhead target is not a deer and the penetration of the arrow is stopped by drag against the shaft, but it seems the COC tip should make at least a 1/2'' difference in penetration in the target. Wonder how much difference it would make on a deer?:set1_thinking: I'm not getting rid of the standard heads.:mmph::drama::biggrin1:
COC outpenetrate chisel points period. Even Gary himself wouldn't argue that (that is a joke by the way). Is it significant enough to matter for deer? Probably not. But, on deer with a low poundage bow? Maybe?

· My Elk Hunting Home
32,447 Posts
Hey Bowfreak, nice signature.:wink: I have no heart, never have I guess.

· Registered
3,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thats not a Cut on contact, it is a Gouge on contact.:wink:
:couch2: That's blatant :fish2: Funny too :becky:

Since you have a new target...repeat the test with the two arrows above and add a field tip equipped arrow.
Yea, I could shoot a field tip and a Rocket Steelhead :becky: :wink:

But, it still wouldn't be a deer and I would dull the blades on a perfectly good Steelhead for nothing. :set1_pot:
Of course the Steelhead would penetrate further :set1_fishing: but it's a moot point.:D

· saskarcher
5,124 Posts
That isn't a true COC broadhead. Try a Stinger or Zwickey and get back with me.
my thoughts as well,, the blade angle is too great,,, impedeing penetration,, even tho it has a COC tip.
there is more to a proper COC broadhead than a COC tip :)
opening can "o" worms now :)

· Smilin' Bob
25,079 Posts
Yea, I could shoot a field tip and a Rocket Steelhead :becky: :wink:

But, it still wouldn't be a deer and I would dull the blades on a perfectly good Steelhead for nothing. :set1_pot:
Of course the Steelhead would penetrate further :set1_fishing: but it's a moot point.:D

No a layered broadhead target is not a deer and the penetration of the arrow is stopped by drag against the shaft, but it seems the COC tip should make at least a 1/2'' difference in penetration in the target. Wonder how much difference it would make on a deer?[/
QUOTE]

If you make an assumption that a COC should add a 1/2" penetration over a similarly sized and number of blades for a ferrule-leading head how much would you assume that your standard slicktricks would outpenetrate a plain ol' field tip.

The field tip would give a good baseline to guage further assumptions on...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.