Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I just found this place and I figured this would be a great place to find out what I should do to sell a stack of Port Orford cedar that has been sitting in my basement for almost 50 years. My father and a friend cut and stacked these blocks of cedar before I was born and then moved them to my basement. They were intended for use as arrows. They are all 36 1/4 " long and the stack is 5 feet tall. The average size of the blocks is probably 5 " by 5 ".The grain is incredibly strait and most of the ends were sealed. Any Idea who I should contact, or if anyone even would be interested in them?

·
saskarcher
5,124 Posts
old wood

So,you got some old wood you say,,,
Winter is comin up fast here up North, and it gets pretty cold,,,
good firewood is always welcome! :wink:

No, seriously stick2it
you got yourself a little treasure there!!!

Those cedar sticks are history itself,,
felled and gathered by lovers of archery past,,

I'm sure those billets are as fine today as they were way back when,,,
Any archer should be proud to craft arrows using that material,,,

Don't be too hasty in getting rid of it,, I'd say
make sure it goes to a good home
do your pa proud :)

I myself came across some 50year old shafts awhile back,
an older lady seen a pic of my wife shooting her recurve
and phoned us to ask if we would be interested in her husbands archery stuff(he passed away a few years prior)

Well,, he had stuff!!
arrows and bare shafts and recurves and longbows,
quivers and armgaurds gloves and tabs
everything,,, I was in awe!!!

she asked what it was worth??
I said its almost priceless,,,

she said thats what she wanted to hear!!!

got it all for almost nothing,,,

the arrows fly perfect out of his old bows
he still lives in me
I hope I can say the same some day,,,

So, find a good home for them old cedar billets
thats what traditional archery is all about :cocktail:

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info guys. I looked up tradgang.com and have it bookmarked. I'll post an ad over there this weekend. Tpoof, my dad was into archery when he was young and in the scouts. He and his friend learned how to make their own arrows. Then WWII came along and then a family and the bows and sticks got replaced by rifles so the wood was never used. I imagine they'll make some excellent arrows for someone, heck a whole lot of people.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Straight grained is real hard to find now a days. You have some gold on your hands there.

·
Registered
10,047 Posts
i saw an article in a magazine where a man was willin to pay up to $200 for two and a half dozen arrows worth of straight grained cedar, but i don't know how old they are (the wood looked old though). even if you don't sell it, you can make some really nice arrows!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow kegan, I could make a fortune at that price. I posted an ad at tradgang and got no response, maybe I'll bump the thread over there and see if it wll make a difference. I also measured some more billets and found out that they are for the most part shorter than I thought. They average probably around 34, still plenty of room to make most all draw lengths I'd imagine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey kegan, I looked into your suggestion that I could make some really nice arrows and at first thought it would be too expensive to get the equipment to make arrows out of rough stock. Then I found an awesome little tool called a dowel and tennon cutter. With this tool that would cost me less than $50 dollars I can make excellent arrow shafts by running the billets through my table saw to make square stock that is slightly oversized and use a drill to send them through what looks like a heavy duty pencil sharpener. Here's a link to the tool I found

There is a more expensive one there also that may be overkill for what I need, but I'll have to try the inexpensive one first and see how well it works.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts