Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just came in from shooting in the yard..HUGE bag target filled with old clothes and a smaller bag target...and some lawn furniture cushions ( BTW these bags are AWESOME and VERY large.....HARPERMAN can get you hooked up IF the guy has any left) Anyway I shot a few arrows and when I pulled one of my brand new fatboys I pulled about 3/4 of the arrow. The tip and part of the shaft snapped off and was laying inside the bag.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Dang bro that sucks. Is the bag not packed enough?

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dang bro that sucks. Is the bag not packed enough?
not sure. I have it packed pretty well. I DID however fail to remove snaps and zippers from any jeans in the bag. I might hve to unpack it and do that. I am serious about these bags guys. They are about 4 feet tall and 3 feet wide ( a 3x3 square four feet tall if that makes sense) the material is the woven stuff bag targets are made of. They have heavy duty straps on each top corner to hang em by and everything.

·
aka "5 Spot"
9,756 Posts
Been there - done that!

What happens with such targets is that the arrow very seldom comes to rest perpendicular to the target - it will usually be at an angle left, right, up, or down. This "exposes" a greater amount of the sides of the arrow, thus often resulting in subsequent arrows hitting them.

Don't know if you have a large "farm supply" store in your area, but if you do, look for a rubber "farrowing crate mat". These are used to keep baby pigs off the "cold" steel. These mats are less than 1/4 thick and work great as a "front cover" for your bags.

I just happened to have access to a large number of these mats and have made several targets this way. I simply build a box out of 1/2" x 10" shelving board. The top of the box is first made from just strips of wood so I can stuff it when it's complete. I then use drywall screws to mount a mat to the front and back of the box. Once it's stuffed with old clothes, blankets, plastic, whatever, I then cover the top with another piece of shelving board.

Why do I have "several" of these? Right now, I'm making one for each Field/Hunter target face, 1 for the Vegas target, and one for the 5 spot target (not quite big enough for the FITA targets).

Eventually I'll have enough to set up my on 14 target field range.

But for now, just go pull any arrow that is not perpendicular to the bag.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Been there - done that!

What happens with such targets is that the arrow very seldom comes to rest perpendicular to the target - it will usually be at an angle left, right, up, or down. This "exposes" a greater amount of the sides of the arrow, thus often resulting in subsequent arrows hitting them.

Don't know if you have a large "farm supply" store in your area, but if you do, look for a rubber "farrowing crate mat". These are used to keep baby pigs off the "cold" steel. These mats are less than 1/4 thick and work great as a "front cover" for your bags.

I just happened to have access to a large number of these mats and have made several targets this way. I simply build a box out of 1/2" x 10" shelving board. The top of the box is first made from just strips of wood so I can stuff it when it's complete. I then use drywall screws to mount a mat to the front and back of the box. Once it's stuffed with old clothes, blankets, plastic, whatever, I then cover the top with another piece of shelving board.

Why do I have "several" of these? Right now, I'm making one for each Field/Hunter target face, 1 for the Vegas target, and one for the 5 spot target (not quite big enough for the FITA targets).

Eventually I'll have enough to set up my on 14 target field range.

But for now, just go pull any arrow that is not perpendicular to the bag.
I have had that happen but this was not the case this time. I cannot shoot groups without breaking arrows so I put 6 X's on the bag spread out so they do not hit one another. This arrow just broke.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
btw thanks for the tip on the mats. My buddy is a hog farmer so I bet he has a few laying around I can steal:wink:

·
aka "5 Spot"
9,756 Posts
btw thanks for the tip on the mats. My buddy is a hog farmer so I bet he has a few laying around I can steal:wink:
There must be something in your target if one arrow didn't hit another. PLEASE check all your arrows before shooting again. Would sure hate to hear about you having an "accident" - carbon in the hand/wrist is not good. :eek:

One thing I failed to mention - those mats will NOT stop an arrow if used stand alone - trust me, I just had to try it and that arrow joined several others in the woods - lost forever to mankind. :cry:

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Had the insert shoved back I'd say it hit perfectly on a button. However it broke well past the insert and was just laying inside the bag. I felt around where it was and didn't feel anything that should have broken it. I will unpack the bag ( my wife will LOVE that) and remove any brass snaps on the jeans.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts