Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive got a 2009 martin firecat and im hearing a "tick" about 1/3 of the way into my draw. its comming from the top limb and it seems to be about the time the cable contacts the module. ive checked all screws and they are tight, any suggestions what to look at next? should i be concerned about the safety of the bow? thanks

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
first closley inspect those limbs for any hair line fractures or chips. Check your limb pockets again.
What rest are you using??

if you find nothing have it insepcted by your pro-shop just in case.

My buddies admiral clicks just before he reaches full draw...never found a problem,we think its the cable wheel.
\
good luck, just inspect very closley before shooting again.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
My wifes martin does it. I found the cable just alittle catches on the lip of the draw module and then falls into place making a little click nosie. I can adjust the cable rod and fix it by bringing the cables in alittle bit so it doesnt catch on the lip of the module.

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Check the limbs!

From my experience with a few bows, check the limbs when you hear a "tick". You could have a hairline crack, as I did with a Champion Scorpion, or a little H crack developing, as I did with an old Bowtech dual cam. Not saying the Martin limb is likely to have a problem, but if there is an issue, it is one thing that can cause major trouble. If you check carefully and there is nothing wrong, then go on to checking other sources of noise. Could be the limb against the roto cup, or something in the cam/module too. BTW, with the Champion, I had to get a magnifying glass to see the crack, but when I took the limb off, the crack was all the way through to the bottom surface of the limb, so the damage can be hard to see. Good luck finding the problem.:)

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
My wifes martin does it. I found the cable just alittle catches on the lip of the draw module and then falls into place making a little click nosie. I can adjust the cable rod and fix it by bringing the cables in alittle bit so it doesnt catch on the lip of the module.

My Commander had this same problem. Watch the cable to see if it snaps into place.

·
Anti Fanboy
42,158 Posts
I had that issue with my MOAB when it was new. I lightly sanded where the draw mod and the cam meets. That took care of it and it only took a couple minutes. I heard of a guy that had the same issue and he said he fixed it by filling the gap between the two with string wax. Not sure if this could be the case but also look to make sure the string is not popping into place like the above poster said. It happened to me with a Bengal and it turned out to be excessive cam lean.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I've had this happen on two different bows for two different, but similar, reasons.

First was with a High Country Machined Supreme. They had a little half-moon rocker on the limb ends near the pocket. Oil on this rocker would cause the popping.

Second was on a Reflex Highlander. On the top yoke where the cable connected to the outside of the limbs were two little plastic "bearings". Oil on the inside of the bearing on the limb side caused a popping.

Removed all oil in both cases and all was well.

Good luck, dv

1 - 8 of 8 Posts