Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have this wildlife management area that we have been scouting for the past 2 months every weekend and found a really good place with lots of persimones the permit is for 2 weekends and one weekend is gone and I was not able to hunt because my dad was in the hospital. we got the stand set up and was able to sit in it monday afternoon we didn't see any deer but we did see 3 hogs but I didn't shoot one because I wanted to wait on a deer. Well this weekend tomorrow the winds will be coming out of the east wich will make our scent blow right into were the persimons are......... which is the area we are watching

We can't move the stand because it is a heavy 2 man stand and it takes a hafe a day to move it. Did I mess up not shooting one of the hogs? Would ya'll still hunt this stand? We have alot of confidence in this stand but not with the wind coming out of the east. We have seen tons of deer all around the stand. It is just my luck for the wind to blow out of the east the 2 days we hunt.

·
Bowhunter
5,201 Posts
Rule #1: mind your scent and hunt the wind.
Rule #2: never pass on good meat on the hoof (I always have trouble with this one:cry: ).

·
Registered
146 Posts
If you want to shoot a deer, then wait on one, unless you need meat really bad. Doesn't sound like you do.

You may need to build you a quicky ground blind downwind of the area you think the deer will be. However, if your other blind is 15 ft or higher, you might get lucky and have your scent blow over the deer.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was thinking about building a blind.........the tree stand is about 14 or 15 ft up in a the tree.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Hunt in a ground blind made downwind of the area you are watching.

What is the WMA you are hunting? I use to hunt alot at Bull Creek and Three Lakes. I would pass up the deer waiting for the hogs when I hunted down there. My wife really misses the wild pork I use to bring home. We thought the pork was better than the venison.

·
Registered
28,624 Posts
Never hunt with your scent blowing into the area you expect deer to be coming from.

·
Registered
914 Posts
just hunt

If you only have a couple of days to hunt then hunt! To hell with the wind just go man.You never know where the deer might come from.What is more fun,sitting on the couch or sitting in your stand? I know where you wont kill anything no matter which way the wind is blowing!!!! LAMADMAN

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well we sat on the stand in the morning and saw 2 does. And in the afternoon we mad a blind and sat in that but did not see anything. I hope I see something tomorrow though it will be my last day.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Stanley said:
Never hunt with your scent blowing into the area you expect deer to be coming from.
Listen to Stanley, he is absolutely right! A deer will pick you off if you do, and it will educate them to be weary of the area, especially a big buck. Stay home before you go with the wrong wind would also be my advice.

·
Registered
715 Posts
2 words .......Scent Blocker!!!!!!! Works Great when the wind doesn't!!!

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
One thing is for sure, If the deer get your scent the gig is up. I have all scent blocker,scentlok clothes. The deer can still smell if they get down wind of you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts