Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I purchased a use Bear Patriot #55 with 12 wooden arrows. I do not think I will be good enough to use it this season, but I sure am going to do alot of practice & see what I can do by late season. I got it for $150 with arrows. is that a good deal? I can not wait to shoot my first game with it. I am sure I will be picking all you brains here in future to try to get it mastered.

·
Registered
11,287 Posts
I enjoy and support your enthusiasim...but I don't think you should consider us 'the elite'.

If you want to join 'the elite' become really good with your chosen weapon and most of us here will try and help you in your journey.

I believe your actions and what you do with your choices is what makes someone 'elite'. Just because an archer chooses to use a more primitive weapon really doesn't make them 'elite' IMHO ;)

Ray ;)

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess looked up to those who shoot traditionaly. Without all the bells & whistles that come on other archery products & still be able to shoot an animal cleaning takes a very dedicated person. I hope I can do it & be apart of that group. I think I can learn alot more about my other hunting methods by dong this also. Just as I did from gun to compound bow.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Man I just don't get people that say "look what I got for next to nothing,an did I get a good deal ?"
I reckon their just rubbing it in:wink:
That bow retails at about $600 where I live.
Nice bow an nice price even without the arrows.
Enjoy, an welcome to the club.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Welcome to the traditional archery family, but please don't call us "elite". We are just a group of people who prefer the challenge of hunting and having fun shooting over that of killing something.
Sure, everyone who hunts loves the thrill and enthusiasm of taking the game that they are pursuing, but it is more about enjoying the time spent outside with family and friends.
Many traditional archers have found this an added bonus to the hunt.
Most of us don't look down on others because they shoot compounds or hunt with guns. We appreciate their choice and ask that they appreciate ours, nothing more.
As you learn to shoot your new bow remember that new challenges go with it. Getting close up and personal with the game you pursue and learning to focus (both on your target and on the blessings of nature) will help your shooting and overall enjoyment of traditional archery.
Don't give up if you can't hit well at first. It takes time to learn how to focus.
Just have fun. Share it with family and friends and never feel "elite".

·
Registered
20,572 Posts
AHSD -

Sorry to introduce a note of reality here ...

First stickbow? #55 and wood arrows? Great sentiment, bad choice. If this is your first outing with a stickbow, #55 is too heavy (Yeah, I'm sure you can pull it easily), and the wood arrows probably aren't going to last too long (but they're traditional, right?). :rolleyes:

Hang on to the bow and pick up something around #35 to learn on, then go back to the #55. Starting out overbowed really gives the "elite" a bad name. :darkbeer:

Viper1 out.

·
2nd Amend. Don't lose it
21,815 Posts
First stickbow? #55 and wood arrows? Great sentiment, bad choice. If this is your first outing with a stickbow, #55 is too heavy (Yeah, I'm sure you can pull it easily), and the wood arrows probably aren't going to last too long (but they're traditional, right?).

Hang on to the bow and pick up something around #35 to learn on, then go back to the #55. Starting out overbowed really gives the "elite" a bad name.
This is a very Elite and correct answer to a question posted on the elite sight.

Seriously South Dakota, 55# starting out is a extreme amount of weight. Most anyone out there can "Pull" 55#. I bet you can pull 100#. But to pull, hold, aim, focus, anchor, and shoot with good form? The odds are greatly against you. With a compound bow, you are only holding between 14 and 24 pounds TOTAL! With a Traditional bow, you are holding the FULL poundage.

You have a very nice bow. Chances are, the person who sold it to you, did the exact same thing you are doing... He bought a bow (which is your bow), attempted to shoot it, had fun for the first month or so, Lost all his form (because he switched from compound), got rubbery arms all the time, arrows probably started flinging all over the place, snap shooting, and target panic... all in one. And he gave it up. All because of being over bowed.

I am not saying this is what happened, but I have known many a bow that was bought/sold for this very reason.

The other reason, is the bow is so heavy, it has caused shoulder problems to some extent or another, or they now have shoulder problems from some other injury, not allowing them to shoot the higher poundage bows.

1. Take care of your body... these higher pound bows are rough on it.
2. Learn to shoot first. Purchase a 35# MAX!!! I prefer 30#.
3. Then, after you can shoot a 240 on a NFAA target, try your bow once or twice and see how it feels.

Dwayne

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Welcome to the fun.

I understand your feelings about the elite part, but we try not to let that get spread around to much. :confused:

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
That's a great bow, you got an absolute steal on it!:) I have one I paid more than double that for and it was worth every penny.

It would be well worth your trouble to sink a little of the money you saved on a light starter bow, so you can work into the Patriot. It will save you a lot of frustration, I'd hate to see you quit!:eek:

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did not know about the poundage. I will look into a lighter pull bow. I really want to shoot traditional & up for the challange. I was going to ask one of the regulars at our local shop to give me lessons, so I do not start off with a bad form right away. He has been state champ for # of years. I am jsut amazed watching him shoot & how accurate he can be instinctive shooting.

·
Registered
500 Posts
ArcheryhunterSD said:
I did not know about the poundage. I will look into a lighter pull bow. I really want to shoot traditional & up for the challange. I was going to ask one of the regulars at our local shop to give me lessons, so I do not start off with a bad form right away. He has been state champ for # of years. I am jsut amazed watching him shoot & how accurate he can be instinctive shooting.
If he's state champ, then he's not shooting instinctivly, he's using some sort of aiming method. He's probably useing the tip of the arrow as a reference point and figureing out what his gap is at whatever particular yardage. You'll learn. You'll learn a bunch of stuff about form, aiming, release, target panic, and then you'll realize it was the same stuff you overcame with the compounds exept you're holding more weight and you've got no stops. The great thing you'll learn is the useability of these weapons that you can't get out of a compound. Both systems have their pros and cons. The learning curve on stick bows is a lot longer than with compounds because there's no let-off and hard stops to keep a consistant draw length. Learn anchor and form and work at it. It'll come to you but not as fast as learning the compound did. Don't give up, it's really worth it. This is also a sport where you're never stop learning new things.

It took me a really long time because my head is a square piece of concrete, if you get what I mean. I made every mistake I could have possibly made when I was learning. I'm still learning and will continue to do so for a very long time.

The best thing you can do is lose the traditude or never develop it to begin with. We're all archers no matter what equipment we choose and we're all in the same boat together.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I guess I will be hanging it up & have to pursue my dream another day. I spent $1100 a new compound set up also & do not have quite the funds to buy another bow. Maybe next year. . :sad:
Sorry for offending you about the elite thing i love aal methods of hunting I od not mean top come across that way. Thanks for the honest responses

·
Registered
11,287 Posts
I hope I didn't give you the impression that I was offended. I wasn't the least bit. I was just trying to steer you away from thinking that about us based on the choices we have made.

I have to share something from my own experience.

When I got serious about traditional archery I started learning to shoot a recurve that drew 80lbs. and I didn't develop any bad habits because I could shoot that thing all day...It probably helped that I was 24 and a bodybuilder at the time.

If you can handle the weight comfortably for many shots and you have some experience in archery the draw weight shouldn't be a problem.

I would just hate to see you put off pursueing this because the bow is to heavy by some peoples standards....but like some of them have said if you can't draw and hold it comfortably...it WILL cause problems.

Ray ;)

·
Registered
11,784 Posts
You got a smoking deal on that bow and those arrows.

If you were starting out around here and ran across a good deal on a great bow like that, I'd tell you to get the bow as fast as possible because you'll need one to work up to anyway and a good deal like that won't come along again any time soon. So, you done good.
Like the others said, locate a bow with less pull to help get your fundamentals down and then move up to that bow you just stole/bought.

:darkbeer: You done good. Welcome to the club.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts