Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By one Mrs. Linda Brackenbury...(wife of the late Jim Brackenbury of Brackenbury Bows)...as I called her yesterday to inquire about making me (2) 12strand endless loop strings and that I needed Dacron preferably B55 and that it was for my '65 Bear Polar....well the first thing she was up front about was that she only uses Brownells Products and that she doesn't make endless loop strings because she doesn't have the jigs for those just Flemish and I didn't have a problem hearing that as...

1. I have no preference regarding Brownells VS BCY...proof?...I love Brownells Rhino and yet...I just ordered strings last week (for another type of bow I own) from JBK that are made of BCY "X"

and?...

2. It was like a light bulb went off in my head when she said "Flemish Only" as I thought...well that's cool...that'll be quieter shooting and even gentler yet on this vintage Bear!

So I gave her the specs and asked how much for (2) strings and she said...

"Well?...I charge $9 per string and $4 shipping so that will be $22 dollars."

I told her : "Miss Linda?...you're too cheap...you need to charge more." she laughed...but she doesn't take paypal and is still working on getting a website up and running so then I told her I'd get the M.O. out pronto and that I was anxious to shoot the bow...she said she'd get them made up right so she can ship them out as soon as the check arrives.

Well...I found out the hard way yesterday that...

A. It was MLK day and?...

B. The P.O. was closed.

So I didn't get the funds mailed out until today and I sent her a P.M.O. "Priority"...for $35...with a note asking her to ship them to me priority and keep the change...well?...when I got out of the P.O. I figured I should give her a call and inform her of what I've done and what I've asked and also to ask if she'd like the tracking number...she said she was swamped at the moment and that wouldn't be necessary and yes...she'll ship them out to me priority rush...I told her thanks and just to recap you're making me two 61 1/2" long Flemish twist 12strand strings of B55 right?...as I felt my heart sink into my gut when she said...

"Oh no...NOT B55...B50...we only use Brownells Products here!"

Now this was my ignorance....as I never even knew and/or didn't realize that Brownells Polyester/Dacron is B50 and that BCY are the ones who offer B55 and after me saying...

"Oh well...I guess it is what it is and it's too late now cause your check is in the mail."

I guess she sensed my disappointment and went on to explain...(with a strong tone of conviction in her voice I might add LOL!)...that I need not worry because...

"They are both 100% polyester fibers with the only difference being that the B55 strands are slightly smaller in diameter than the B50 strands and that the only reason for and benefit of the B55 strands being slightly smaller in diameter....and the way that came about was...as replacement string material for pre-fast-flight compounds where they needed to fit X amount of strands in the narrow grooves of the wheels on high poundage compounds and that's the only difference between the two."

and then she added...

"And in this case the larger strand diameter of the B50 is going to work out to your advantage because I'm already going to hafta use my largest diameter diamondback serving to meet your nock fitment requirements on these 12-stranders."

as I sat in my idling truck in the post office parking lot with my cell phone glued to my ear and my lower jaw resting firmly on my chest...listening to her...and thinking....dang....I believe this woman knows what she's talking about cause...that ALL makes perfect sense! :laugh:

anyways...true or not...I think I'm in good hands there and I'm certain that the B50 will work out just fine....especially for three color triple bundle?...for $9 a string?...cause I think I just got a $20 education and figured I'd share that with y'all! :laugh:

L8R, Bill. :cool2:

·
Premium Member
5,344 Posts
"They are both 100% polyester fibers with the only difference being that the B55 strands are slightly smaller in diameter than the B50 strands and that the only reason for and benefit of the B55 strands being slightly smaller in diameter....and the way that came about was...as replacement string material for pre-fast-flight compounds where they needed to fit X amount of strands in the narrow grooves of the wheels on high poundage compounds and that's the only difference between the two."
Miss Brackenbury is mistaken about B-55 on several counts.

When it came on the market, maybe 2 years ago, it was not developed for "pre-FF" compound bows. When is the last time compounds used polyester strings? Not 2 years ago. It's advertised use (on the label) is for "traditional bows and older crossbows".

B-55 is not a small strand. Getting a good nock fit is not a problem with 12 strands.

B-55 is 100% polyester, but manufactured in a way that makes it more durable, plus it has less stretch and creep than B-50 or B-500.

I suggest that if anyone has questions about B-55, contact BCY. Phone and e-mail contacts are on their site, www.bcyfibers.com .

·
Enhanced Mutant
6,100 Posts
Now you got another 20 bucks worth of string info and it didn't cost a dime. Amazing how different every other story is these days. One almost needs needs a pass to the files at the NSA to get a straight story on about any subject these days.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
School is always open…and I’ll just take my seat and listen. If I were to pause on any of the details…I wouldn’t take “replacement strings” to mean original equipment. But who’s to say what floats around before a new creation, that didn’t exist a minute prior, drops out of the test tube…and by the time it has a name and goes to market.

It’s all more food for thought (…or should I say an interesting twist) and I can appreciate all of it. I enjoyed being a child before knowing the agony and ecstasy that went into making me…and I still don’t feel the need to hear all the particulars of that evening.

When I started making my own strings it was B50 for my older bows…so I still have a bunch on hand and intend to use it all. My strings all settle in to a final length (…well-with reason, anyhow) and it’s not like I’m gonna set the timer to decide which type of string gets there faster. It is what it is, just like all the B numbers that my bow strings were made of before they got to number 50. Sooo…many of these conversations just make me smile.

That said there’s a warm spot in my heart for anything Brackenbury…I had a recurve built by Jim, even drove cross country so the bow could return home for a visit…but I arrived just too late. Also watched the Martin family grow, from afar…and I guess having Terry stop by the other day is just helping to stir such memories…it’s all priceless.

Bottom line is the Jinkster will be crankin’ up another bow shortly…I’ll tune back in for the show. Enjoy, Rick.

·
Premium Member
5,344 Posts
A book could be written about the fables, misconceptions, and old wife's tales concerning strings and string materials. This is just a topic where I have better than average knowledge, at least concerning BCY materials. But again, I suggest contacting BCY with any questions about their materials. The internet is the best and worst place to get answers.

·
Premium Member
11,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
But again, I suggest contacting BCY with any questions about their materials.
Chad...with all due respect...wouldn't that be like calling up the Mars Corp. to ask if their Dove Chocolate tastes better than a Hershey Bar?...I mean what are they going to say?..buy the other guys cause our string material sux? :laugh:

I'll agree that it's very possible that Mrs. Brackenbury has some misconceptions but all in all?...she still shocked me with what seemed to be a surprising amount of knowledge regarding strings...enough to give me a warm fuzzy...and I might presume her late husband may have been a dedicated Brownell's loyalist the way she said...."We Use Brownell's Products Only."

And maybe that stems from the fact that Brownells B50 has been around since 1944....where B55 wasn't dubbed such until about 4 Decades after my '65 Bear Polar left the factory....and the 49 year old original string that came with it?...I'm thinking it's probably B50.

Either way?...this '65 Polar and I have no upcoming Olympic events to attend so?...I think Mrs. Brackenburys B50 strings will fair just fine. ;)

But?....if you would like for me and the polar to do a "Stretch/Creep" test?...pitting one of your B55 strings against Mrs. Brackenbury's B50?....I'm game. ;)

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Chad...with all due respect...wouldn't that be like calling up the Mars Corp. to ask if their Dove Chocolate tastes better than a Hershey Bar?...I mean what are they going to say?..buy the other guys cause our string material sux? :laugh:
Yes, that's right. In my line of work whenever I need technical specifications on a Ford I always check with Chevy, Dodge and Nissan first.

·
Premium Member
11,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, that's right. In my line of work whenever I need technical specifications on a Ford I always check with Chevy, Dodge and Nissan first.
Bender...here's what BCY has to say about their B55 string material...

"B55 Bowstring:
100% polyester similar to Dacron but with better durability and very low stretch"

My question is better durability and very low stretch over what?...they don't seem to advertise that but they do list the following at the bottom of their "String" page...

Dyneema is a registered trademark of DSM
Dacron is a registered trademark of Dupont
Fast Flight is a registered trademark of Brownell & Co.

and?...they've were founded and in business since 1990...off their home page.

Now here's what Brownell's says about their B50...

"B-50
Synthetic superiority with excellent abrasion resistance. Durable and consistent it has been the standard for Traditional bows since 1944. .018 diameter."

Notice how Brownell's gives the strand diameter of .018?...but BCY doesn't...and since both string materials are Dacron and both claim being 100% Polyester Fibers...how is it that either can claim as being better than the other in any way shape or form?...unless of course one sports a larger diameter...yet one does say it has better durability and very low stretch...but what they don't say is "over what"?

Slick move by the marketing dept. but....where's the proof?...I contend there is none...but they're legally safe to do so because how can there be when they not even saying what it's better than? :laugh:

What I'm seeing is that Dacron is Dacron...which is just a Trademark name that Dupont put on it's 100% polyester fiber material...Brownells then specs it at .018 diameter and calls it B50 for 70years now...BCY specs it at a different unlisted diameter 10 years ago and calls it B55....with the added claim that it's somehow better.....than....what? :laugh:

Now I will admit that I can see this happening....as with smaller diameter strands?...they will bunch together tighter with less interstitial area (air space) between strands from strand too strand...which would do 3 things....

1. Make it less elastic.

2. More stretch resistant

Note: Both of the above due to more friction/binding with closer seated smaller strands.

3. And Slightly Faster cause smaller strands of the same material simply weigh less string mass wise.

I dunno man....but I bet even the best would be hard pressed to see a dif between the two...it's the same stuff.

·
Premium Member
11,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Her husband made me my first custom recurve

Real nice people
That's cool Joe...and yes...she seemed like real nice people to me...gotta be...

I mean who else charges $9 for a custom ordered bow string? ;)

·
Registered
4,023 Posts
Bender...here's what BCY has to say about their B55 string material...

"B55 Bowstring:
100% polyester similar to Dacron but with better durability and very low stretch of"

My question is better durability and very low stretch over what?...they don't seem to advertise that...

I dunno man....but I bet even the best would be hard pressed to see a dif between the two...it's the same stuff.
Sure they do.....it's similar to dacron but has better durability with less stretch....they are speaking of dacron

The best would be able to tell the difference between them easily. .since they would be looking under a microscope at the fibers..

My advice. .call the companies. .ask if they are similar or different. .see what they say. .Don't ask which is better..

Different blends of materials, as different fibers,have different characteristics. ..

Mac

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Considering that DuPont Trademarked the name Dacron in 1951 I fail to see how they were making strings from Dacron in 1944.

·
Premium Member
5,344 Posts
Saying that B-55 and B-50 are the same because they are both polyester is like saying a Bear Tamerlane and a Bear Kodiak Magnum are the same. Someone who doesn't understand bows could use the same argument--they are made from the same materials. You can even take it a step further--those were made by the same company, therefore they must be identical. Right?

B-55 isn't Dacron and isn't advertised as such. It's advertised as similar, but better.

B-55 isn't near 10 years old.

Again, contacting the company that actually makes it is much more accurate than uninformed speculation and heresay.

·
Registered
212 Posts
"They are both 100% polyester fibers with the only difference being that the B55 strands are slightly smaller in diameter than the B50 strands..."
And to think that I have read, in several places, there wasn't a dimes worth of difference between the two, and the reason B-55 didn't stretch as much was because it's strand size was slightly larger. Can't beat the good ole i-net for accuracy.:mg:

·
Enhanced Mutant
6,100 Posts
All of her knowledge? She spun you a complete and total fairy tail about the materials and that is wowing you with information. What ever it proves perception is far more important than reality.

·
Premium Member
5,344 Posts
I stand corrected on the time B-55 has been on the market. Looks like it's been out over 3 years now...man time flies.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
There is one thing that most don't know about these synthetic fibers. They are long chain polymers. When the raw fibers (its called "yarn" at that initial stage.)are made there are a couple of different ways to do it. Those differences create the differences in the material properties. If the process spits out the raw yarn in such a manner that the polymer chains are longer than previous production methods, and more of them are parallel to each other, with fewer of them folded in half, or crossing over each other the subsequent strands spun from that yarn will be stronger with less stretch, creep, and a higher yield strength. So a company can make a polyester that is, strictly speaking, a polyester that is chemically identical to everybody else's polyester, yet the finished product comes out measurably stronger. This is also part of how we wind with differences in some of the HMPE materials.

B-55 IS a polyester. It is NOT "identical" to B-50.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts