·
Registered
8,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
....Iiiiii Like it!!!:mg::shade::shade:

Yes indeed..

Draw Weight = #66
Draw Length = 27"

My DL is 27.5"...and the 27" DL fit me perfectly...I would surmise that the Monster DL's are running 1/2" longer than specified...

No stabilizer.

Draw Reaction

I was prepared to be fighting "tooth and nail" in getting this bad boy back to full draw....

...man what a smooth piece of work this bow is....yup....I was expecting the characteristic falling-off-the-edge-of-the-table draw-force curve..

None...nada....nill...finito.....I suppose I was so use to my 82nd Airborne...that I was ready for that deep/dark drop-off into the Valley of Death...:mg:

well here is a little :secret:......the Monster draws very smoooooth for a speed bow.

In fact...if I was not waiting for the BT Air Raid....I would probably be the owner of this bow...

Full Draw Position

As noted by others...a little on the top-heavy side...but nothing a stabilzer with weight would not offset..

Shot Reaction

Similar to the X-Force......very little recoil....relativley quiet for a speed bow...

I ended up shooting the Monster for 30 minutes....5 arrows at a time....I rekon I put almost 120 arrows downrange....

My shoulder is still good...no stiffness...soreness...

This bow is NOT for the Mathew single-cam diehards or single-cam bows for that matter. It is a speed bow designed with a force-draw curve similar to a rectangular box...not a nice sloping ski-hill so to speak!!

I must admit....the Monster drew smoother and let-off smoother than my 82nd Airborne....

I had so more time...so the dealer also setup an Admiral for me....I have owned several center-pivot BT's in the past...nothing new here...same old DEADLY silence on the shot....ZERO recoil/vibration....

Coming from a Bowtech guy....I must say that Mathews has come up with a winner in the Monster Bow....curious to how the XLR8 will shoot with it's 5 and change BH....

good day........:D

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Are you feeling ok? That Monster didn't explode and hit you on the head?:D Your 82 can tell if you've been seeing other bows on the side!

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
Thanks for the great honest review!

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you feeling ok? That Monster didn't explode and hit you on the head? Your 82 can tell if you've been seeing other bows on the side!
I had a Kevlar re-enforced helmet + safety glasses on.....:mg:

...not anymore....I sold her...waiting for my BT Air Raid....:shade:

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Well... I shot the Monster the other day as well, and I have to say my experience is totally opposite of yours. First off, I noticed how unbalanced and top heavy it is. Second, what is with that goofy looking cable harness system? It sure doesn't look like too much fun to work on. Problems with that will not surprise me. Next, on to the test drive. The vibration was not terrible (Mathews add on string suppressor installed) but it did have a noticeably larger amount of vibration than the PSE X-Force GX that I shot right along with it. I found the draw curve to be okay until the big roll over just before anchor. It was enough to make the arrow hop right off the rest, and I was really trying to get to anchor without that happening with minimal success. Maybe it was just the bow I shot, but the noise level was also unacceptable to me. Very tinny and twangy sounding compared to the X-Force and the Alpha Max. It is fast, but that is all I have to offer on the positive side. Needless to say, there won't be one in my bow case this year.

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found the draw curve to be okay until the big roll over just before anchor. It was enough to make the arrow hop right off the rest, and I was really trying to get to anchor without that happening with minimal success.

I have found that drawing a speed bow with its typical force-draw curve...that you must maintain a consistent draw throughout its cycle...

I will say this again..this is a specialized bow...as is the 82nd Airborne....not everyone will be able to shoot this bow simply because they have not mastered the technique in drawing the bow itself.

If you prescribe to the PULL as hard as you can and as quickly as you can throughout the entire draw cycle, than you will abruptly fall into the valley of death..so to speak...

One needs to draw with even force all the way to the back wall...the let-off will happen...but you should not fight it....

My best way to describe it......draw as smoothly as you possibly can.....if the bow doesn't feel right...that's okay...

like I said...speed bows ain't for everyone...

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
I can say it is a very interesting bow and the draw cycle is different. I can handle it but I would rather shoot it at 60-65#'s at a 31" DL.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
like I said...speed bows ain't for everyone...

I will agree with you on that. But I have been shooting archery a long, long time, competing on the professional level as well as being an avid bowhunter for more than 25 years. The draw curve on the Monster isn't the worst I've ever felt, but in comparison to what else is available on the market today, Mathews fell short with this design in my opinion. Also, as fast as it is, the Monster is about to be left in the dust when the new PSE Omen is released.

Anyone that likes it, more power to ya. It's fast and less expensive than the other "speed bows" out right now. I just found it to be a very clunky and awkward feeling bow that didn't impress me at all.

·
Hoyt Nation Life Member
15,077 Posts
Ssshhhhhhhh....!!!! Your gonna get them Mathews guys posting on here about how they had to get ahold of the local Logging Company to get rid of their "WOOD" . Great review by the way. :set1_applaud:

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ssshhhhhhhh....!!!! Your gonna get them Mathews guys posting on here about how they had to get ahold of the local Logging Company to get rid of their "WOOD" . Great review by the way.

speaking of wood......I forgot to mention the grip....now it is not like my BT's slim design...but it was manangeable.....if anything...I would look for a thinner/less torque-prone aftermarket grip for it...

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Great reviews. The thing is though all reviews so far have been test runs from inside archery shops at likely 10-15 yds. What I want to hear about is how these hotrods stand up outdoors when people shoot them at 40-50 yds with those short brace heights. Will they also get it done out there like the more conventional and likely forgiving bows?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Monster

I will agree with you on that. But I have been shooting archery a long, long time, competing on the professional level as well as being an avid bowhunter for more than 25 years. The draw curve on the Monster isn't the worst I've ever felt, but in comparison to what else is available on the market today, Mathews fell short with this design in my opinion. Also, as fast as it is, the Monster is about to be left in the dust when the new PSE Omen is released.

Anyone that likes it, more power to ya. It's fast and less expensive than the other "speed bows" out right now. I just found it to be a very clunky and awkward feeling bow that didn't impress me at all.

We shall see when the XLR8 gets here really soon! The monster is not the speed bow the XLR8 is. For smoothness I have not shot another bow that is as fast as the monster and as smooth. I own an archery shop and I shoot ALOT of bows. Mathews and Hoyt are still the top.

·
Registered
36,024 Posts

I will place $ on the XLR8 being faster than the Omen.......

by the way where are those Omens???

·
Registered
152 Posts
why

you are just getting bashed why even start this thread i woyuld delete it but in the first place i wouldnt start it

·
Registered
875 Posts
I've posted my review of the Monster on 'others' review, but I ordered one and did NOT have any intention of ordering one when I shot it. I thought the DL was fine, FOR THE SPEED OF THE BOW! Now, if it drew like that and was a 315 IBO . . . forget it. The first several shots, @ 68#'s, I definitely felt the 'hump', but for the rest of the shooting session (about 45 minutes, as I was chrono'ing it w/heavy arrows @ 4 different #'age settings), I didn't have any problems. The 'hump', or getting used to it, is a TRAINING/PRACTICE issue----shoot it awhile and you wouldn't even notice it!

The bow had Mathews STS and had ZERO vibration and was dead quiet. Vibration is OVER RATED as far as I'm concerned, but the noise, or lack of it, at the speed it was shooting was VERY IMPRESSIVE! Slightly top heavy, but that isn't a concern as you can modify that easily w/a stabilizer. Grip? Change it . . . another NBD (no big deal).

So what's the DOWN side of this bow? Other then buying another bow, I don't see one. I can set it at 62#, it'll draw easy and still be smoking fast w/the heavy arrows I like to shoot.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
by the way where are those Omens???
Couldn't tell you. I've never been a Mathews shooter, and I haven't owned a PSE in about 15 years. I have no connection to either of those companies. All I can say is I gave the Monster a fair shot to impress me and it did not. When the XLR8 comes around, I will take a look at that as well, but as much of a shock as it may come to the Mathews fan club, they have never produced anything that blew me away. I'm not 100% sold on the PSE's either, but from what I've seen so far, I wouldn't mind spending some more time with one.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts