Archery Talk Forum banner

I like most bows but rarely LOVE one... Elite!

5234 Views 18 Replies 14 Participants Last post by  573mms
So I shot a few more bows today at my LBS. The Halon (awesome), br33(meh), no cam(meh), Powermax(niiice), and then be still my beating heart. The Elite Impulse 34!!! Holy crap what a bow! There was nothing I didn't love about it. The grip, draw cycle, and rock solid wall. Quiet, vibration free and impeccable balance. The impulse 31 was nice but the 34 blew me away!!!!

Time to start thinking about a purchase.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
3,992 Posts
That's how to pick a bow ! Good job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
7,954 Posts
I agree, I just received my I34 and am really pleased. It has a smaller valley and a firm but consistent draw, sorta a combination of an elite and hybrid cam bow. About perfect for me. I think what shocked me the most was that is was silent and dead at the shot with nothing on the bow. It actually caught me a bit off guard, as I expected some vibe. I have gone through a bunch of bows from a bunch of companies the past few years and think I found a partner for awhile:)

· Registered
6,794 Posts
I still haven't got to shoot the new Hoyt's yet but so far the elites are my favorite. I like the huge valley on the 31 but I would probably get a 34 with the v grip. It sounds like you made the right choice for you, if you shoot them all the right one will stand out.

· Registered
2,352 Posts
I've shot most of the offerings this year, HTX, Halon (only the 6) bear BR33, Hoyt 30-34-turbo, PSE Carbon, Elite Impulse 34-31, as well as a few others. I will say the HTX is basically the same No Cam, the Halon was not bad at all surprisingly. Nice look, nice draw cycle.. Overall a good little bow. Wasn't impressed with the Bear line at all. Not terrible by any means but it just felt like a typical Bear to me. Nothing that jumped out at me. The Hoyts were so-so just to be honest.. The one thing I did instantly notice about the defiant 30 was the feel of the string angle. Just like Hoyt advertises. I was able to keep my head totally upright and the bow felt much longer. That was a nice aspect. Then to review the Elites. I shot the Impulse 31 and the 34 a considerable amount of time. The 31 had a noticeable hump about 80% of the way back. Which felt more like a tightening or increasing of weight instead of a hump or dump. Overall draw cycle was nice, very much like an Elite and a Hoyt had a baby and the Impulse 31 was born. No post shot vibe. Very quiet and held well for a short ATA bow. Typical elite valley. Not as deep but still a good dwell zone and dead solid wall. The bow felt extremely fast compared to the others. No chrono testing today. Then I shot the 34.. The stack up in the draw cycle was still there, still noticeable but not by much.. It reminded me of shooting my E32 after shooting my E35. Can feel a stiffer draw but nothing bad at all. Over all excellent draw cycle on the Impulse 34. I did not feel any vibration. This bow held perfectly on the wall and was very very stable on target. The grip was awesome (standard elite) and the bow was also very fast. You can feel the power of the bow. Overall I agree with the OP I also fell in love wth the I34. I can live without the I31. But so far out of the bows I've shot this year I would rank them:

1) Elite Impulse 34
2) Mathews Halon
3) PSE Carbon air
4) Elite Impulse 31
5) Hoyt Line
6) Bear

Hope someone found use of that information I will try to do more thorough reviews on the other bows as well. I spend a lot of time at my local pro shop and have shot these bows until they almost need strings.

The Elites arrived today and i wore those suckers out. The Impulse 34 is indeed a shooter and is sure to be a huge seller for TOG and Elite this year.

· Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've shot most of the offerings this year, HTX, Halon (only the 6) bear BR33, Hoyt 30-34-turbo, PSE Carbon, Elite Impulse 34-31, as well as a few others. I will say the HTX is basically the same No Cam, the Halon was not bad at all surprisingly. Nice look, nice draw cycle.. Overall a good little bow. Wasn't impressed with the Bear line at all. Not terrible by any means but it just felt like a typical Bear to me. Nothing that jumped out at me. The Hoyts were so-so just to be honest.. The one thing I did instantly notice about the defiant 30 was the feel of the string angle. Just like Hoyt advertises. I was able to keep my head totally upright and the bow felt much longer. That was a nice aspect. Then to review the Elites. I shot the Impulse 31 and the 34 a considerable amount of time. The 31 had a noticeable hump about 80% of the way back. Which felt more like a tightening or increasing of weight instead of a hump or dump. Overall draw cycle was nice, very much like an Elite and a Hoyt had a baby and the Impulse 31 was born. No post shot vibe. Very quiet and held well for a short ATA bow. Typical elite valley. Not as deep but still a good dwell zone and dead solid wall. The bow felt extremely fast compared to the others. No chrono testing today. Then I shot the 34.. The stack up in the draw cycle was still there, still noticeable but not by much.. It reminded me of shooting my E32 after shooting my E35. Can feel a stiffer draw but nothing bad at all. Over all excellent draw cycle on the Impulse 34. I did not feel any vibration. This bow held perfectly on the wall and was very very stable on target. The grip was awesome (standard elite) and the bow was also very fast. You can feel the power of the bow. Overall I agree with the OP I also fell in love wth the I34. I can live without the I31. But so far out of the bows I've shot this year I would rank them:

1) Elite Impulse 34
2) Mathews Halon
3) PSE Carbon air
4) Elite Impulse 31
5) Hoyt Line
6) Bear

Hope someone found use of that information I will try to do more thorough reviews on the other bows as well. I spend a lot of time at my local pro shop and have shot these bows until they almost need strings.

The Elites arrived today and i wore those suckers out. The Impulse 34 is indeed a shooter and is sure to be a huge seller for TOG and Elite this year.
I agree with everything. I haven't shot the Carbon air though. I like Bear bows a lot and was really disappointed in the BR33. The Halon will sell a ton. Great bow!
That i34 was near perfection to me though. It held on target as good as any bow I've ever shot.

· Registered
2,352 Posts
I agree with everything. I haven't shot the Carbon air though. I like Bear bows a lot and was really disappointed in the BR33. The Halon will sell a ton. Great bow!
That i34 was near perfection to me though. It held on target as good as any bow I've ever shot.
Sounds like we shot the same bows haha. The Impulse did hold really well and I expect it to sell very well. The Halon was a great shooter and should bring Mathews back to the face of bow hunting to a degree. They needed to produce a great shooting bow and I believe they have. But side by side with the Impulse 34 it's not a fair comparison. At least not the Halon 6. The Halon 7 may be smoother. I'll have to wait till I get my hands on one to find out

· Registered
2,734 Posts
Some bow features just make you like the bow that much better.

For me, the binary dual track just lack the tunability to fine tune the bow to fit my shooting form. Still have several Elite bows (older model) and they shoot fine but was a lot of work to get there.

Glad you find what you are looking for.

· Banned
8,425 Posts
I shot the 31 Impulse and the draw cycle was stiff. I would like to shoot the 34 to see if there is a difference. The Halon felt much better except for the grip and square shape of the bow. The Halon is a sweet shooting bow they need to change the grip at least.

· Registered
3,271 Posts
I haven't shot the Bears yet... But my ranking would go as follows

1) Impulse 34
2) Halon 6
3) Impulse 31
4) Defiant 34
5) Carbon Air
6) Defiant 30
7) Defiant Turd-bo.

· Registered
401 Posts
I loved the elites I ending buying the impulse 31 loved everything about it. But still waiting on mine this week will be 5 weeks so hopefully soon was told 4 weeks max but hasn't came so maybe this week hopefully I'm getting very impatient waiting on it

· Registered
11,422 Posts
Funny how one guys opinion is 180 degrees from the next guy. Anyone that tells me a Hoyt defiant turbo is slow I know to disregard everything else they say. If only Elite could put a Hoyt grip on their bows. The Hoyt turbo will still be the fastest 6" brace bow again this year. That is if all bows are measured specs. Not far fetched company claims. I like the feel of the E31 better than the turbo but much prefer the Hoyt grip. So I ordered both and will have to make my own grip for the 31. Best way to describe the 31 is a 6" brace version of an E32. Feel very similar to me.

· Registered
105 Posts
Some bow features just make you like the bow that much better.

For me, the binary dual track just lack the tunability to fine tune the bow to fit my shooting form. Still have several Elite bows (older model) and they shoot fine but was a lot of work to get there.

Glad you find what you are looking for.
This ^^^^ every time you change a d-loop, try another release or make a poundage change you get to do the "dance" of trying to fine tune a draw length on a piece of equipment that has zero fine tuning capabilities....just say'in

· Registered
6,794 Posts
Funny how one guys opinion is 180 degrees from the next guy. Anyone that tells me a Hoyt defiant turbo is slow I know to disregard everything else they say. If only Elite could put a Hoyt grip on their bows. The Hoyt turbo will still be the fastest 6" brace bow again this year. That is if all bows are measured specs. Not far fetched company claims. I like the feel of the E31 better than the turbo but much prefer the Hoyt grip. So I ordered both and will have to make my own grip for the 31. Best way to describe the 31 is a 6" brace version of an E32. Feel very similar to me.

Get the new wood grip elite come out with last year. It feels a lot like the wood grip on the Hoyt's.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.