Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, My name is Jim, I live in Northern New Brunswick Canada, and that's where the but comes in, as you know archery supplies from the USA cost us more, but I'm afraid the increase in price by 42% due to Canada Customs charges made me draw the line, I have bought nothing from the USA since last spring, in 2020, and very little in Canada. Again , "But" things are in need and try as hard as I can obtaining them seems impossible where I live , there are many dealers on the web but it takes too long to find a good dealer that keeps large inventory of high quality items, nothing even close Lancaster Archery, So after finding this large forum, "ArcheryTalk" I decided to give it a try, My main interest is buying from LAS but 42% is a great deterrent, I am asking you for guidance to dealers that offer good quality products at a fair and reasonable price. All I have to do now is shoot arrows, my next birthday will be 80 and that's only weeks away, so if you have good advice don't wait tooo long.

Jim on the North Shore

·
Registered
628 Posts
You'll be hard pressed to find a retailer with a selection like Lancaster has, and if you do the customs duty will be the same.

Reactions: sdmc530

·
NOOBY
1,966 Posts
Sounds like your main issue is just living in Canada eh? Just messing with you. I don't think going to another retailer is going to help you in the states. If you can't find it in the north it appears your just going to have to pay up or use ebay.

good luck

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have a question related to this, I ordered a dozen axis match grade arrows from Lancaster last month. Had them fletched, inserts, knocks etc... (what I would consider a build) upon further inspection not one of my arrows was squared. Is this common when ordering an arrow from a company? Is this the whole point of building my own arrows or did my arrows just get missed somehow? I’m not starting this to bad talk a company, accidents happen or perhaps my expectations are wrong. I honestly just want to know what to expect when ordering arrows off line.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Too bad that governments get in the way of peoples lives. No wonder people resort to smuggling. The few dollars they might get from your Lancaster purchases won't even make a ripple in the national debt. I don't know about Canada, but in the US there's loopholes for the big guys, but none for the little guy.
If I could I'd meet you at the border and throw the supplies over the fence to you. You'd have to stand close though, cause I'm closing in on 81 and my throwing arm ain't what it used to be.

·
12 stepper for gear...
4,185 Posts
Of note, there is no duty on sporting goods. You may pay taxes (it is hit or miss for me, rarely on items with a declared value under $100), and exchange of course. Ensure you specify to mark the package "sporting goods" and specify to use USPS not UPS. There will be a fee after the handover to Canada Post (something like $10, from Canada Post for going through customs), but UPS will charge a brokerage fee which depending on the value of the purchase can be in the hundreds of dollars.

Just the price we pay for living up North.

·
Lowered expectations
19,638 Posts
A bit late in replying, but it’s worth expanding on what bibnikon posted.

The “42%” is nothing to do with Lancaster, of course, and little to do with Canadian Customs. Archery items shipped into Canada are examined by Customs, but not subject to duty. You are likely to be charged only the HST, percentage amount depends on your province.

UPS and other brokers charge a huge fee for processing the paperwork, but that fee isn’t duty.

Always best to have things shipped USPS (post office). Minimal processing fee, especially compared to UPS or other couriers.

·
Registered
‘13 Bear Legion, RIP. ‘19 Ritual 35
130 Posts
Are there no archery companies in Canada?
There are. Canada Archery Online - Bows, Arrows, Archery Equipment and Supplies. for one. I have ordered a few small things from them and they are reasonably priced for stuff like vanes and adhesive and arrows. But of course there is always a markup as they get a lot of their supplies from LAS or American manufacturers directly. They also have a much more limited variety of goods. Not sure why. Over all you do save some $ in brokerage fees and exchange rate.
Another is Heights Outdoors from Winnipeg. Ive dealt with them in person, awesome guys, and some online orders since I move to the east coast.Just give them a call if you have a questions.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Of note, there is no duty on sporting goods. You may pay taxes (it is hit or miss for me, rarely on items with a declared value under $100), and exchange of course. Ensure you specify to mark the package "sporting goods" and specify to use USPS not UPS. There will be a fee after the handover to Canada Post (something like $10, from Canada Post for going through customs), but UPS will charge a brokerage fee which depending on the value of the purchase can be in the hundreds of dollars.

Just the price we pay for living up North.
I work in shipping for a small retailer in the US and this was going to be my advice, find a retailer or ebay seller willing to use US Postal. It doesn't reduce the pain to zero but it will reduce the overall cost of both shipping and fees. Essentially the retailer gets to send the item without fees, US Mail says what it is, Canada post determines the real import cost and the consumer pays actual duties and taxes, collect, upon receipt. At least that's what I'm told.

I hope that's not terrible advice, but we've never heard otherwise from the customers. The only complaint we get from Canada is when we don't spend 400 dollars to overnight 8 dollars worth of bolts that someone in Montreal lost in their garage. It's almost always greater Montreal. Maybe the Canadians know why that is.

·
Registered
812 Posts
But 2nd time I have had a package mis delivered to someone else. First time custom arrows this time a draw board. Maybe stop using usps. They can't seem to be able to read and comprehend numbers and letters

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.