Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
That is good news. I would prefer a corn field for deer, dove and turkey over a bean field any day of the week. Might see a drop in corn prices this year also. Just my thought.

·
Banned
3,872 Posts
Im miss beans too. Used to hunt jackson co Missouri. Lots of big bean fields there. My neck of kansas has mostly wheat and milo.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
I'll take a bean field over a corn field any day of the week,someday beans will go up and farmers will be planting those like crazy, it's all supply and demand

·
<-----{{ }}----->
679 Posts
Luckily the farmer that leases our farm ground still rotates beans and corn. Beans are always good to hunt, but my experience (because of the small woodlots) is that deer move better (most of the day) with corn surrounding the woods, but beans are great near first and last light.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Standing corn supplies just as much food as beans but standing corn provides more cover and security for big bucks than beans do. I sure hope corn prices go down. It effects the whole economy when corn is sky high.

·
Registered
10,204 Posts
I prefer corn also, for many of the reasons listed above.

Bean fields sure attract them early though...

·
Registered
727 Posts
it would be nice to have either. just woods, woods and more woods, plus some swamp and a little bit of hay fields

·
Registered
361 Posts
Sometimes they like the corn too much and they never leave it!! Then it gets harvested and all the deer vanish!! Then ya gotta find the hot food again and hang new sets! For me beans are productive longer and give you a better chance. I love hunting a bean field in the early season!! Like moths to the porch light!!

·
Bone Addix Outdoors
1,371 Posts
Corn all the way my farms been beans the past 4 years because they haven't been able to get into the fields early enough to get corn in and I haven't seen near the deer I do when its corn.

·
Registered
11,799 Posts
it seems like all they plant here is cotton now. the price went up several years ago and that is about all they do now. the deer eat that also though.
they love the seeds and also the leaf.

·
Registered
361 Posts
OMG! this just gave me the funniest picture in my head of a deer eating a cotton ball and looking around for water!! LOL
it seems like all they plant here is cotton now. the price went up several years ago and that is about all they do now. the deer eat that also though.
they love the seeds and also the leaf.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Not sure when your hunting them but the deer don't like them as much when they brown up. Once the beans turn brown they deer are usually on the acorns.
Corn all the way my farms been beans the past 4 years because they haven't been able to get into the fields early enough to get corn in and I haven't seen near the deer I do when its corn.

·
Registered
11,799 Posts
OMG! this just gave me the funniest picture in my head of a deer eating a cotton ball and looking around for water!! LOL
LOL. I know it sounds crazy but they love it. it gives them great cover also. when the plant first starts comming up they eat it hard also. the farmer has had to get insurance on several of our fields cause they eat it up early on, then it just won't produce. the seeds, in the cotton is used in cattle feed. they like the seeds
as well. they will take the cotton off, chew it and get the seeds out of it.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I love hunting beans. Deer came out early and often. Hunted a corn field for the first time this year other than the drought hurting the corn crop. They came out very relaxed not so spooky. As long as I don't have to hunt a cotton field for a while Ill be happy.

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
That is just a projected planting report...Spring weather will determine how much of each crop is planted.The best thing to hope for is early planting so corn isnt still standing late in the fall.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts