Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
7,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't post much, but check the threads two or three times a day. It boggles my mind thinking about how much I've learned here over the last several years.

Thanks to some of the guys that I don't even see on here anymore, I've learned how to do most all my own work. I now build my own strings and am fully confident with tuning my, or anyone else's bow.

Time was everybody was interested in discussions of shooting and the technical aspects thereof. Now it's all about what should I buy to give me an edge. I still enjoy the give and take--and maybe some of the bashing--but I really miss the technical discussions about being a better shot and getting the most from whatever equiptment you have. From my perspective, it's not the engine, it's the engineer.

Thanks to some of the old hands that have meant so much to me and made me a better archer. Hat's off to you.

· Registered
2,906 Posts
For sure... Everyone is a bow expert now. People try a bow for two shows and say its junk.

· Registered
1,318 Posts
Amen brother! When I first got into archery it was all about pratice and learning and sharing.
For so many of the younger guys now it seems to be about trends and throwing money at every gizmo that rounds the bend each year and being a poster boy for whatever name happens to adorn their limbs. The old days are still here, you just have to wade through the muck find them. :cheers:

· Registered
2,667 Posts
Hey--it's the same shooting rifles or shotguns--if you don't have time to practice (or you are too lazy), just buy an expensive gun or gun/scope combo, or the latest super short magnum, and all your problems will be solved. I call it "gadget-itis"

No substitute for 50 or 100 arrows a day down range.

· Registered
1,423 Posts
way back when....

How about the archeryinfonet.com or archerynetwork.com, the roots of this beast called archerytalk!

· Registered
7,101 Posts
For what it's worth, it not just AT. Visit any of the bow manufacture's sites.
I have an idea that the oldschoolers read through this stuff, but only jump in on the "shooting" type threads. Shooting, or making the shot, has'nt really changed.

· Registered
2,857 Posts
I don't post much, but check the threads two or three times a day. It boggles my mind thinking about how much I've learned here over the last several years.

Thanks to some of the guys that I don't even see on here anymore, I've learned how to do most all my own work. I now build my own strings and am fully confident with tuning my, or anyone else's bow.

Time was everybody was interested in discussions of shooting and the technical aspects thereof. Now it's all about what should I buy to give me an edge. I still enjoy the give and take--and maybe some of the bashing--but I really miss the technical discussions about being a better shot and getting the most from whatever equiptment you have. From my perspective, it's not the engine, it's the engineer.

Thanks to some of the old hands that have meant so much to me and made me a better archer. Hat's off to you.

You just have to sort through more post to find the substance. It's still a great place to be. I do miss my buddy WR, and DonDeere does a drive by now and then. You can find them.......just not heere:cry:

· Registered
4,056 Posts

I could not agree with you more ! times have changed so has everything else!

· Registered
5,563 Posts
I only read about 10% of the threads now.

So full of the same questions as people don't use the search for an answer or asking for advice and then not intersted in hearing it.

People trying to justify their purchases by bashing others who then do the same.

Still a lot of good here mixed in with the rest.

· Registered
2,082 Posts
I've learned a lot here over the years as well... AT has provided me with a wealth of information. The golden nuggets are still there they just need to be found and like others I just don't bother with the usual banter.

I think a lot of it has to do with the volume of posters on AT as opposed to a few years ago as well. Just check out the join dates of a lot of members... AT is growing by leaps and bounds no doubt. There are a lot of individuals just starting out in this great sport so give them a hand if you can.

I do miss reading the thoughts of some of AT's greats that no longer are a regular presence however their insights on form, shot execution, tuning etc. are just a quick search away as a lot of the advice given was timeless and will still apply many years down the road.

To all the AT greats thank you.

· Registered
1,591 Posts
I think there should be some type of age level if you ask me, if you read some of the treads or bashing you know that the person typing are either kids with no experience or somebody that just hangs out at local pro shop's,and then come's home and starts typing all types of crazyness they heard at the shop. Guy's you know those people, the one's that go to a shop pick up all the bow's and ask all the question and never buy nothing. Then talk's all the junk about how he killed a 36 point whitetail at 187 yards,These are the folks typing crazystuff here. So BBhavelina you have a great point.

· Resident Philosopher
11,705 Posts
I have learned to weed out the BS
when ignored the threads just die
there is still alot of great info on here though
AT, like any other site, goes through phases....the trolls will get bored and leave soon.

· Registered
170 Posts
seems to be the trend on a lot of these forum sights, Diesel truck guys bashing each other on which is best, ATV sights on which brand is better. but like these other guys said sift through the BS and you will still find guys that are here to help and give sound advice. looks like some of them have already replied!

· Registered
2,546 Posts
Amen brother! When I first got into archery it was all about pratice and learning and sharing.
For so many of the younger guys now it seems to be about trends and throwing money at every gizmo that rounds the bend each year and being a poster boy for whatever name happens to adorn their limbs. The old days are still here, you just have to wade through the muck find them. :cheers:
This coming from a guy who changed his AT name to the "latest & Greatest" new bow on the horizon....well said

· Registered
2,322 Posts
I remember when the real Pro's would post and give legitimate advice. Most got tired of the hassle and left. We now have people give advice on shooting who are novices. I have a customer who had been shooting for two months who would get on here and begin giving form advice. This guy could barely hit a pie plate at 15 yards! It's just not worth the headaches anymore to try and help.

· Ad Meliora
21,353 Posts
I only read about 10% of the threads now.

So full of the same questions as people don't use the search for an answer or asking for advice and then not intersted in hearing it.

People trying to justify their purchases by bashing others who then do the same.

Still a lot of good here mixed in with the rest.
:nod: Yes it has changed....we are now seeing what this next generation is like, and it is scary.

· Not a prisoner of past.
3,716 Posts

I know a place where you can get what you seek.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.